Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times

Advertisements

I can read ad nauseam the plethora of exercise programs and routines out there. You may want to gain muscle, loose weight, get lean, etc.

Does anyone here just randomly mix things up? Maybe do weights 3x a week, run, spin, push-ups, pull-ups, at home DVD programs? And I don't mean the same weekly routine - just wake up and do something? Maybe one week you only lift once, the next week four times. Maybe not a chest/tri, shoulder/bi type split, but just lift however you feel?

I have found myself doing this recently. No real plan - I just do something.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times
I've been largely following my own routines for awhile and I've gotten good results from them. I'll generally follow a basic concept for a routine but I've never been one to follow someone's workout routine, set by set, rep by rep in the gym. I come from a long distance running background and when I started, I tried a lot of the really conventional stuff but it wasn't until I started basically winging it, training more instinctual that I started seeing much better results. Generally I do stay consistent in terms of my workout schedule, shuffling things around every now and then to keep it fresh but I'll work every major bodypart at least once per week in the gym.

I train based on how I feel but I'm also quite used to pushing myself, when I was running long distance, I did a lot of solo training, one year in high school we didn't have a track team so me and a girl that did pole vault were the track team pretty much, we did our own training, found ways to get to the meets, and we both still had a fair amount of success.

If you're someone with the ability to really motivate and push yourself, then you can pretty much find any routine that works for you as long as you keep making progress. If you're someone that prefers to have a workout partner then it gets a little more difficult and established routines are probably better.

The danger of kind of winging it and training alone can be that you lose sight of your goals and that you just start making excuses for avoiding the more difficult workouts which is why you always see the gyms full on International Bench Press Day(Monday's) but you never quite get the same enthusiasm from people doing leg workouts and such. You have to be disciplined enough to push yourself on the stuff you really enjoy........and even moreso, the stuff you really detest whether that is working your legs, doing cardio......whatever helps you to best reach your goals.

For beginners, especially when it comes to weight-lifting, I always recommend a basic powerlifting program like Starting Strength just to develop your form, build up a base and improve upon all the core lifts, getting comfortable with the basics before getting into the more exotic training stuff.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Im consistent with my training regiment. The only thing I change are the plates when weight lifting (going heavier) and my daily morning run varies- 6-10miles, depending on how I feel; I occasionally change running routes.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Does anyone just "wing it" with your exercise routine and see improvements?.
I used to just "wing it" and never saw any results. It wasnt until I decided to sit down and really dedicate myself to LEARNING and garnering as much factual knowledge as possible on health, fitness, nutrition and exercise. Then, when I decided to apply that knowledge into my workouts and eating program I started to see tremendous results. That, and following one particular strength training program EXACTLY as recommended.

I have to say that education and application goes a long long way if people really want to start seeing measurable results in a short amount of time.

Winging it just doesnt really work for the average person.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
There's nothing wrong with having a good blue print to go by - at least in the beginning. Even those of us who do P90X on a regular basis will mix things up. Especially if we have been through the program a few times. I like having that structure built in, because it keeps me "honest" in my workouts, and I need to remember to work parts of my body that I don't like working (like legs and abs.) I'm likely to skip certain routines and just focus on the "glamor" muscles like guys often do in the gym.

Back when I used to be in a gym all the time, I saw a lot of guys just "winging it". Sure, they had big arms, big chests and shoulders, but then they would have no muscle definition on their backs, beer bellies, and skinny chicken legs.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
I'm similar to Juram. I'm a former distance runner and used to hit the weights only to round out and balance my training. The problem was I did not have a balance regimen inside the weight room and was notoriously conventional.

In March of last year I officially transitioned from running to weights and it took me a few weeks to tinker with my programming before I realized I didn't have to do it the way I always had. It took me even longer to balance out my training to give me a more comprehensive level of strength and fitness. I was already in pretty solid shape, but there was a lot of room or improvement and there still is. I wasn't following anyone's program and still don't. I've just gotten much better at developing training methods that work for me.

I cannot honestly say I "wing it." There is a systemic approach to the way I train. With that said, there is always a little variance from one workout to another. For example, I may do 2x5 at several weight intervals on my deadlifts one day, but 1x6 and working to a higher weight total another day. My bench press always starts with a set of 6, then I work my way down to 1. From there I add weight and start at 3 or 4 and work my way down again. Or I remove weight and start at 6 and work my way down again. So there are nuances like that from workout to workout, but over time there is definitely a pattern.

I also stick to 5 main lifts: Benchpress, squat, deadlift, straight leg deadlift, and barbell rows. I also do military press/dumbell press, as well as numerous isolation exercises depending on the day, but these are the big ones I focus on the most, and to fantastic results.

So it depends on what your definition of "wing it" is. I do have some flexibility in my workouts, and a lot of variance, but I don't go in blind and just do whatever pops into my head.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Sure. I often wing cardio with something fun and different, like taking a hike with a friend or play a few games of tennis instead of my usual cardio routine.

As far as weight training though, I stay consistent. I like to challenge myself against my routine's previous level, such as number of reps or higher weights. Just winging it wouldn't provide progressive improvement in muscle mass/strength I enjoy.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,166 times
It's good to mix things up to keep your muscles guessing and forcing them to adapt to different types of stress. It also keeps workouts from becoming boring. Having a few staple exercises that you do regularly is good though to track your results. Normally before I head to the gym I have a general idea of what exercises I want to do. If all the equipment/racks that I want to use are occupied though, I'll "wing it" and do different exercises than what I'd originally considered doing.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
I can read ad nauseam the plethora of exercise programs and routines out there. You may want to gain muscle, loose weight, get lean, etc.

Does anyone here just randomly mix things up? Maybe do weights 3x a week, run, spin, push-ups, pull-ups, at home DVD programs? And I don't mean the same weekly routine - just wake up and do something? Maybe one week you only lift once, the next week four times. Maybe not a chest/tri, shoulder/bi type split, but just lift however you feel?

These days I kind of do this. I think it's fine depending on what one's goals are. For me, a 65 y.o. woman, I just want to stay fit. Some weeks I feel like strength training 3-4 times - other weeks my body feels like it needs a rest from that and I do more yoga and dancing. I used to try to follow a set program, but at my age and some physical issues (back and muscle probles) I just have to listen to my body and not try to over-exert. The key is to always be active and doing SOMETHING. And if you work out hard, give yourself time to recover, someone my age needs more recovery time.

And yes, to answer your question - I definitely see results from this. Even at my age people are always commenting on my muscles. While I'm no body-builder, I have a lot more muscle than many women half my age.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:

It depends. I lift, run and play basketball. I've been doing these consistently since 1994. I read everything I can find about lifting but I'm not one to follow a strict lifting plan. I've never been able to get the split routines down so I lift either upper or lower body. My running has gone downhill with aches and pains, but I have run at least one 5K and a 10K every year since 1995. I can't remember not hitting the weightroom for an entire week during that time.

I think the keys are pushing yourself as hard as you can most of the time, and consistency over the years. I see people come and go in the weightroom. People start to run to lose weight or to run a race, and then never run again.

You need to be honest with yourself. If "just doing something" means playing a round of golf, taking a hike or a leisurely game of tennis, can you really count that as a workout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness