Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that the mud runs are injury prone.....I've never done one, so don't know but as you get my age (50s), you try to avoid things that damage the knees, shoulders......I see so many people a few yrs older who are getting knee replacements are see their docs a lot for ailments.

I'm cutting back to about 5-10 runs a year. I have my favorites every year like one that goes through my old university that I attended over 30 yrs ago - nice to see my old dorm, classrooms and reminisce while suffering the agony of running in FLA heat.

I also run one downtown Tampa then along the water/bay to assist Tampa Police Memorial Fund.....always a good one. Run one that is on a runway at Tampa International Airport. Kind of neat running on a runway that I've been a passenger in a jet airliner several times....Next month a 10k at St Augustine, FL (Oldest city in USA)......beach runs are fun as well. We also have a Busch Gardens run through the park before they open it up to the public....$40 but includes admission to the park later, but I have an annual pass anyway, so it doesn't mean much to get a free pass. Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a cancer awareness run around the stadium and through the parking lots the morning of a game....Tampa Bay Lightning have a good one as well through downtown Tampa/Bay.

But some of the mundane runs without much scenery isn't worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 06:05 PM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
You're right about injury and mud runs. Another reason I will be avoiding them next year. I'm in my early 30s, and very much over it. I used to work on a unit where people were getting all those joint replacements, so I totally hear you!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:27 PM

151 posts, read 169,960 times
I too have cut down on my runs because of cost. A marathon could be around $80 now if you register early. I don't even bother with 5k's as that is what my daily run is anyway. My wife is a less experienced runner but even she has started shying from the 5k's as well. She will only do a race if she gets a medal, otherwise we will just run 3 miles on our own.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM

403 posts, read 681,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
I too have cut down on my runs because of cost. A marathon could be around $80 now if you register early. I don't even bother with 5k's as that is what my daily run is anyway. My wife is a less experienced runner but even she has started shying from the 5k's as well. She will only do a race if she gets a medal, otherwise we will just run 3 miles on our own.
Not doing a race because its particular distance is something you routinely cover in training shouldn't necessarily have bearing. Something to be said for setting PRs at any distance. Even when I was primarily running ultras, I still had goals of going sub-20/40 in 5/10k. That said, I find it quite strange that medals are given out for all distances now.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
I thought they only gave out participation medals for sports like tee-ball.

Actually, the only time I have seen race organizers give out a medal to everyone is at a marathon. I would not accept a medal if I actually did not win something. I did accept a medal for taking first in my age group in a 10K last fall. I figure I still took first place even though there were no other finishers in the 55-59 age group.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Medals are given out regularly here in Tampa - for runners who complete the race....guess it's more for a memento of running the race, but I thought that's why they give out t-shirts......one item that can be eliminated in order to cut down price.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Geez!

I've adopted the hobby of running 5k/10k, working my way up to half marathons......and I'm going broke. I enjoy running the race as I like running new routes, pushing myself, running in large groups and finding competition in it. But the races are causing me to go broke. I've been running one race over the last couple of years and now it's $45 for early registration. Sure they're fundraisers mostly and it take money for shirts, medals, other freebies, but isn't $45 for an 8k getting up there in price?

Am I unrealistic about the price? Guess I could just find my own routes and forget about the races.....but they are motivating to keep running and improving.
Damn and I thought those races were free to the public. I had no idea you had to pay to participate. I am not a runner so I wouldn't run a 5 or 10k if it was free, much less if I have to pay .

Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM

There's a name for runners who don't sign up or pay for races, but run the race anyway wihtout chip. I forget the name, but basically they're doing the equivalent of shoplifting, imo........pretty bad if they partake in the after race refreshments.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Medals are given out regularly here in Tampa - for runners who complete the race....guess it's more for a memento of running the race, but I thought that's why they give out t-shirts......one item that can be eliminated in order to cut down price.
But you can wear a t-shirt. What do you do with a medal? Winning my first few trophies and medals was cool, but then you run into the problem of where to put them. I think I have a couple boxes of trophies and medals in the basement. My wife said I couldn't keep putting cheap race trophies on the coffee table in the family room.

Quote:
There's a name for runners who don't sign up or pay for races, but run the race anyway wihtout chip. I forget the name, but basically they're doing the equivalent of shoplifting, imo........pretty bad if they partake in the after race refreshments.
They are usually referred to as bandits but some race software lists them in the results as "turkey."

Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 PM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
The cost is the reason that I don't race. I simply run my miles in an unofficial fashion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness