Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:32 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

Tennis, football, and basketball - I am not good at any of these unfortunately, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Personally I'm just not a big gym person. They are great for getting a jump start over winter, but after 3 months or so I'm burnt out.

There are so many fun ways to get fit and strong (not as strong as you'd get lifting in the gym though).

What are some things you enjoy doing that just so happen to also be good exercise?

Surfing, Snowboarding/Skiing and mountain biking (on actual mountains) are great fun. So much fun you forget you're exercising...

But my all time favorite way to exercise is on a dirt bike. Man, they are brutal! I come back from a three hour ride so sore I can hardly use my arms for then next 24 hours... and all I can think about is my next ride (I get to ride 3-4 times a week!). It's amazing how much you push yourself when you're pumped full of adrenaline.

So what do all you guys/gals do to put your strength and fitness to good use outside the gym?
Dirt biking gives you a great a$$, too!!!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
This won't work for everyone, but we are seniors and let our bodies get completely out of shape. About 2 years ago we started water walking at our indoor pool facility. What a great way to get lets back in shape, but some calories and meet lots of nice people. We have new people all the time, but several of us work out 3 times a week for 1/2 hour to an hour. some do actually walk up and down the lane lines, other of us spend our time bobbing up and down, moving our legs and arms as we visit with each other. The best part we can do it whatever days we want and if we miss a day or two we can make it up whenever. We know where everyone is from, how many kids they have, we talk sports, know who is having surgery, who is going on vacation and who is having company. We are like a little club or little family. We even discuss what we had for dinner, exchange recipes, talk about the farmers market, whatever. Some stay for water arobics after water walking, for most of us, that is a bit too much. Another good exercise is a walk, whether just around the block or a mile or so. Sometimes when the weather is too cold we go to a mall or WalMart and walk for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I do a basic strength workout at home, and wouldn't describe it exactly as "fun," but I do get a sort of pleasure out of the feeling of intense physical activity, and satisfaction from the results.

Most of my other physical activities I truly find enjoyable as activities in themselves. Mostly we're talking about: walking, either by myself or with the dog; swimming; and hiking, on rugged trails up in the mountains when I get the chance, in local hilly areas most of the time. I don't get out on the water often, but really enjoy paddling a kayak or rowing a boat when I get the chance.

One more that many people might not consider fun: shoveling snow. Yep, really. Many may consider it a chore, but there's something I really enjoy about being outside in the fresh cold air, doing some vigorous work.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I'm not a very strong person, but I do my best to take a walk every day and enjoy the natural beauty of our world. I talk to birds, butterflies and squirrels who also seem to be enjoying the pleasant Spring weather.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
-running outside can be fun
-hiking/climbing a mountain/getting lost in the woods is awesome
-biking

Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Personally I'm just not a big gym person. They are great for getting a jump start over winter, but after 3 months or so I'm burnt out.

There are so many fun ways to get fit and strong (not as strong as you'd get lifting in the gym though).

What are some things you enjoy doing that just so happen to also be good exercise?

Surfing, Snowboarding/Skiing and mountain biking (on actual mountains) are great fun. So much fun you forget you're exercising...

But my all time favorite way to exercise is on a dirt bike. Man, they are brutal! I come back from a three hour ride so sore I can hardly use my arms for then next 24 hours... and all I can think about is my next ride (I get to ride 3-4 times a week!). It's amazing how much you push yourself when you're pumped full of adrenaline.

So what do all you guys/gals do to put your strength and fitness to good use outside the gym?
I think the problem some people have in regard to exercise is they expect it to be fun. They get disillusioned and bored when they find it takes effort and they don't see short term results.

Try looking at it this way. You need to do the boring stuff so that you're in shape to do the fun stuff. Things like snowboarding and skiing are fun and good exercise, but how many people can ski or showboard as their only form of exercise? Even Olympic skiers have an off season workout routine or go to South America to ski for the summer.

Many people mentioned activities on this thread that aren't really exercise. For something to be exercise, there must be a way to make it progressively more challenging as you get in better shape. A leisurely walk on the beach might be good exercise for an extremely out of shape person. It only continues to be exercise if you walk further and/or faster every time you do it. The same is true with lifting those little pink dumbbells. The first time you lifted them over your head 20 times or curled them 20 times, you might have been exercising. Once it becomes easy, you need to increase the weight or it is no longer exercise and no longer has any benefit.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think the problem some people have in regard to exercise is they expect it to be fun. They get disillusioned and bored when they find it takes effort and they don't see short term results.

Try looking at it this way. You need to do the boring stuff so that you're in shape to do the fun stuff. Things like snowboarding and skiing are fun and good exercise, but how many people can ski or showboard as their only form of exercise? Even Olympic skiers have an off season workout routine or go to South America to ski for the summer.

Many people mentioned activities on this thread that aren't really exercise. For something to be exercise, there must be a way to make it progressively more challenging as you get in better shape. A leisurely walk on the beach might be good exercise for an extremely out of shape person. It only continues to be exercise if you walk further and/or faster every time you do it. The same is true with lifting those little pink dumbbells. The first time you lifted them over your head 20 times or curled them 20 times, you might have been exercising. Once it becomes easy, you need to increase the weight or it is no longer exercise and no longer has any benefit.
I beg to differ - if you walk in very soft sand or squishy wet sand it is a TREMENDOUS workout for feet and legs! Try it sometime!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I beg to differ - if you walk in very soft sand or squishy wet sand it is a TREMENDOUS workout for feet and legs! Try it sometime!
Not unless you do it 3-4 times a week and gradually increase the distance and/or speed. I don't understand why people are always saying that something is a good workout, but they don't do it on a regular basis. One workout doesn't mean squat.

BTW, I have run on the beach and it is harder on my legs than running on other surfaces. But I'm sure I would adjust to it if I did it regularly.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Dog walking. I have to do it anyway...two birds, one stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness