Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

I want to and plan on keeping running. I am 58 and have been running since 22. But for love or money I can't get my mileage much above one mile, at least without a walking break. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Why stress out over how much ground you cover, if you enjoy the activity & are managing to not have any of the numerous myriad problems "overdoing it" inevitably brings?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I want to and plan on keeping running. I am 58 and have been running since 22. But for love or money I can't get my mileage much above one mile, at least without a walking break. Any advice?
Have you tried just walking after you hit one mile and then once you catch your breath start running again. I would just keep up with run/ walk cycles--it is really good excercise and after you do this for awhile you will be able to run for longer distances.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Jeff Galloway method!

I was struggling to do a 5k, when I got involved in my local half marathon training course that used his interval method. Generally, most of the folks I run with run 3-1s ( 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking), and it is a fantastic way to stretch your mileage. For most of us beginners it actually allows one to go faster than you would without intervals, surprisingly.

As you get faster, and increase your endurance, you can shorten the walk interval, and increase the run interval, but the difference that little break makes is phenomenal. I would recommend anyone who is struggling with adding distance to try this.

-NoCapo

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 PM

74 posts, read 103,189 times
Well I'm 21 and I run. But even at this age, my ankles seem to be destroyed.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 PM

112 posts, read 112,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
Well I'm 21 and I run. But even at this age, my ankles seem to be destroyed.
how long have you been running?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I wonder about this because I love to run so much. It makes me sad to think one day I won't be able to do it anymore. I just turned 42 and my mom is always telling me I'm going to have to quit soon because I'm getting too old to run. She is in her 60s and thinks it's weird I enter races-- as if it is ridiculous even thought I tell her there are actually people older than her still running--lol. Running for me is a release and almost like an emotional experience. Today I got up at 5 am and ran before my kids got up--and just LOVE the feeling of being alone with the sun rising. If you did have to stop running due to injury, etc. what did you replace it with? Did you get depressed when you had to quit or did you find something just as satisfying?
I'm 52 and not running recently due to knee pain. I still walk though, fast, uphill for a good workout. And I hope to run again when I manage to lose 20 more pounds. In the meantime I will concentrate on getting stronger and maintaining joint mobility.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Have you tried just walking after you hit one mile and then once you catch your breath start running again. I would just keep up with run/ walk cycles--it is really good excercise and after you do this for awhile you will be able to run for longer distances.
I'll try that starting tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
Default never give up!

you keep on running as long as you can!...I been a long distance runner for 16 years I luv it! running is everything! as long as I can do it im going to im 35 now things hurt but its not going to stop me....so never give up or think your to old....

Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 AM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
OP, you took the words right out of my mouth, our age and running longevity concerns match. I am a complete running nut. I have been running in some form or fashion since my teens, for over 30 years, at 30 miles per week. I don't fit the normal runner's physique, 5'11" 230(a lot of lifting too), so I did not enter races but I liked everything about running and at the top of my list is the runners high. I cannot talk enough about that so I wont.

Now I have come to my own challenges. Well over 10 years ago, I developed arthritis in my knees and the Doctor told me to stop running. I continued running because the only tough part was starting. After a couple of steps I was ready for a long one. Suddenly over the past weeks, I have come to the point where I cannot run through the pain because of arthritis in my foot.

As a result, I decided to take a break from running. During this break, I have been biking and once a week I tested the foot with a run. The test results have not been good because of the pre and post run pains. Through roughly 10 tests, I am coming to the conclusion that this one got me. I guess that I will become a bicyclist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness