Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I used to work at a Gold's Gym while I was in college. I was always surprised at the different levels of "comfortableness" in the locker room. I once watched a group of older gentleman (60+) carry on a conversation for about 20 minutes completely nude. No one was bothered. We had another guy that would do something similar to what you do, and he had more complaints than anyone else. No one wants to watch you practice your hygiene routine in the buff. I am pretty comfortable being around naked guys (I was in the military) but there is a point that it goes from ok to weird.
Of course I will say that people that shower with swimming trunks on are weird as well.
My personal choice and what I think is proper for all, is I would get undressed and wrap a towel around my waist before I headed into the shower, or I would keep my shorts or boxers on until I got there. Once I came out of the shower, I would have the towel wrapped around my waist until I got dressed.
The problem I have with this is if I take a shower at the gym, it is because I was running on the treadmill or playing basketball, and I'm covered with sweat. Why would I wrap a clean towel around my sweaty body? I take my sweaty clothes off and stick in a side pocket in my gym bag. I'm not going to wear them to the shower, take off and carry them back to my locker.

Do you think it is a little strange that you "once watched a group of older gentleman (60+) carry on a conversation for about 20 minutes completely nude." I don't hang out in the locker room watching people for 20 minutes. What exactly were you doing for 20 minutes besides watching naked older gentlemen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The problem I have with this is if I take a shower at the gym, it is because I was running on the treadmill or playing basketball, and I'm covered with sweat. Why would I wrap a clean towel around my sweaty body? I take my sweaty clothes off and stick in a side pocket in my gym bag. I'm not going to wear them to the shower, take off and carry them back to my locker.

Do you think it is a little strange that you "once watched a group of older gentleman (60+) carry on a conversation for about 20 minutes completely nude." I don't hang out in the locker room watching people for 20 minutes. What exactly were you doing for 20 minutes besides watching naked older gentlemen?
Every gym shower I have used has at the very least, a hook on the outside to hang a gym bag or clothes.
That is what we gals do. We remove underwear at the shower, and then grab the towel afterwards. Very simple.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Every gym shower I have used has at the very least, a hook on the outside to hang a gym bag or clothes.
That is what we gals do. We remove underwear at the shower, and then grab the towel afterwards. Very simple.
At every gym I've ever been to, nobody has ever done that. This is the kind of behavior that would cause most guys to question your manhood. Secondly, it would mean I would have to carry my sweaty underwear back to my gymbag. No normal guy would do this.

What guys do when they are swimming is wear their swim trunks into the shower to rinse the chlorine off. They take them off in the shower and squeeze the water out of the trunks.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
When I was younger even the shower/changing area at our state park was wide open . no curtain. Shower and walk back to the stall where you left you clothes and towel No biggie. Now that I am a fat old man I would prefer not to share that image with others.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post

So am I being "rude" walking around the locker room with my junk showing? I see other guys doing it- not very many and it's mostly the 60+ crowd doing it.
That guy is kind of prude-y, but yeah...I think it's kinda rude to walk around all hanging out. No reason to hide it while changing or whatever, but to saunter around or stand there for a prolonged period of time...that's...ick. For chicks or dudes.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
The guy sitting next to me just made another point.
He said he doesn't want to use a sink your 'danglies' have been hovering over/near.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Were you married at the time?! I guess this is another reason I'm happy we're not having kids. There is NO chance I would be ok with my girlfriend having her boobs out in general, ever, but especially while talking to another guy! That would be on par with cheating.
My dear boy, this is the least of it! Imagine a whole room "looking up your wife's skirt" at childbirth! Modesty doesn't exist. I suspect it is a good thing you realized early on that parenthood is not for you, but without experiencing one of the most natural events of mankind, you would do well to keep your judgments in check.

I look at my father who was born in 1920, and was as poor as they came during the Great Depression. His family could not afford modesty, heck, his whole era, modesty was a luxury. He went on to fight in WWII and on to the Korean War. Again, modesty be damned. He was stationed in Okinowa in the 60's, and now with a command, the luxury of "officers" locker rooms were not an option. He told many a funny story of entering the locker room and the ranks and file coming to attention - he said the first time it happened the absurdity of it hit him and after he recovered from his laughing fit, the locker room was an area were rank didn't matter. But he remembered the times in his lifetime he desperately wanted to cover up, but could not, and that desensitized him, but his empathy was always his strength. He would enjoy nude beaches around the world, due to his "exposure," but could only be comfortable if those around him were comfortable as well.

Happy Father's Day Dad, I miss your stories and life lessons!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's actually not that uncommon for men to shave at the gym, especially if they are going before work. The only way I can see that being an issue is if you're tying up a sink during prime hours.
Having been at gyms in many different areas the only thing that galls me is when some idiot decides to shave in the steam sauna.

As for being naked, for those that think you should be covered at all times except when showering what do you say about those that use the hot tub sans suit or the steam/dry sauna? I seen this in many,many places that have saunas in the mens locker room.

About the only people who I've noticed are super modest, wrapped tight as a mummy in a towel and so can barely get their suit off/underpants on are those in their teens. I get that, at that age most are very self conscious and body conscious worried about being judged/mocked by others (their peers).
Eventually most reach an emotional age where it really doesn't matter what others think about what nature gave you.

I remember what someone told me long ago about seeing a naked person, "if you haven't seen it before you won't know what it is and if you have it's nothing new".

Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
If you're going to be standing there a while, put the towel on.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Probably the worst thing I've seen and that bothers are men in nothing but white briefs going into a steam room or hot tub. There was a guy at a gym I went to years ago (probably in his 60s) who would simply sit in his underwear in the hot tub. Not only was it disgusting, I'm guessing it was a health hazard as he didn't appear to shower and they were probably his street underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness