Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times

Advertisements

I ran an additional 2 1/2 miles tonight around 10pm on top of the 3 miles I ran this morning and I felt weak on my run tonight. I wasn't tired but I felt weak as in I was hungry for something sweet.

Before I ran this morning I had a small bite of a piece of a grilled chicken tender. After I came back I finished the rest of the chicken tender and some popcorn around 11. Around 2:30 I had a bowl of grapes. Around 6 I ate my dinner which was a hamburger I grilled.

I just felt weak while running those 2 1/2 miles and wondered if I should have had something else to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 03:56 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Yeah, beef takes awhile to digest. If I'm doing a double, I'll lightly carb up and eat meat after my sec run.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:36 AM

11 posts, read 7,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
if I should have had something else to eat.
The short answer is nothing you can eat to recover that fast unless it kills your pancreas.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
I ran an additional 2 1/2 miles tonight around 10pm on top of the 3 miles I ran this morning and I felt weak on my run tonight. I wasn't tired but I felt weak as in I was hungry for something sweet.

Before I ran this morning I had a small bite of a piece of a grilled chicken tender. After I came back I finished the rest of the chicken tender and some popcorn around 11. Around 2:30 I had a bowl of grapes. Around 6 I ate my dinner which was a hamburger I grilled.

I just felt weak while running those 2 1/2 miles and wondered if I should have had something else to eat.
I think you have posted before about running a marathon so you probably have a good idea of what your body needs and is used to. I don't like to run on an empty stomach but I have to wait several hours after eating a meal before I can run.

Running 2 1/2 miles in the evening after running 3 miles in the morning should not make you feel weak if you are accustomed to this type of mileage. If you haven't been running for a while, it is probably not a good idea to run twice in one day.

My gut reaction is you're not eating enough in one day, if this is your typical diet. Are you trying to lose weight, or is this your typical daily diet?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you have posted before about running a marathon so you probably have a good idea of what your body needs and is used to. I don't like to run on an empty stomach but I have to wait several hours after eating a meal before I can run.

Running 2 1/2 miles in the evening after running 3 miles in the morning should not make you feel weak if you are accustomed to this type of mileage. If you haven't been running for a while, it is probably not a good idea to run twice in one day.

My gut reaction is you're not eating enough in one day, if this is your typical diet. Are you trying to lose weight, or is this your typical daily diet?
My initial reaction is that he isn't consuming enough carbs. If he's doing endurance training, he DEFINITELY needs more carbs.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Is this all you ate all day? One grilled chicken tender, popcorn, a bowl of grapes, and a hamburger (was this with bun and toppings)? If that's it, you're not eating enough, especially if you're going to be running 5 miles.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
My initial reaction is that he isn't consuming enough carbs. If he's doing endurance training, he DEFINITELY needs more carbs.
Glycogen, to be correct. Surely he is. He could eat three sugar-saturated chocolate bars two hours before running and would not get tired after, but his pancreas (and liver) surely would.

The best way is to supply glycogen (that is what body takes energy while training from) by means of good carbs consumption. The bad thing about good carbs is low digestion speed.

That being said, it is personal thing to decide what's more important, health or result.

Still, there are good news! One can train his or her metabolism. So take your time for your whole body to get used to what you want from it . So, villageidiot1 is right:

Quote:

Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro11erCoaster View Post
Glycogen, to be correct. Surely he is. He could eat three sugar-saturated chocolate bars two hours before running and would not get tired after, but his pancreas (and liver) surely would.

The best way is to supply glycogen (that is what body takes energy while training from) by means of good carbs consumption. The bad thing about good carbs is low digestion speed.

That being said, it is personal thing to decide what's more important, health or result.

Still, there are good news! One can train his or her metabolism. So take your time for your whole body to get used to what you want from it . So, villageidiot1 is right:
What is a "good" carb, versus a "bad" carb?

Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:

This was my typical consumption just about everyday with different foods.

I think I didn't eat enough food.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What is a "good" carb, versus a "bad" carb?
Good == Slow digestion speed (moderate insuline reaction speed).
Bad == Fast digestion speed (high insuline reaction speed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness