Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 AM

221 posts, read 318,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
When I was running the same route, I kinda created a psychological barrier for myself. It was almost always at the same pt when I felt like I needed to stop running. Once I changed routes, I found out that physically, I was able to go a lot further.
Good point. I too find myself feeling wiped out at the same parts. Or I'll be like, "this is where I slowed and walked last time so I'll just do that again." On the other hand, I could flip that and use it as motivation..."This is where I slowed and walked last time, I'll push through today!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Good point. I too find myself feeling wiped out at the same parts. Or I'll be like, "this is where I slowed and walked last time so I'll just do that again." On the other hand, I could flip that and use it as motivation..."This is where I slowed and walked last time, I'll push through today!"
The mind plays funny tricks on your body.
As it is with any sport, you really need mental toughness to improve.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 AM

59 posts, read 128,852 times
When I first started running, I really enjoyed doing the same route because it was easy to see the improvements. Bonus that you have access to a nice scenic run.

As mentioned before, lots of ways to mix it up if you want to. You can set RunKeeper to do intervals, so you're running at an easy pace for 2 minutes, and then at a higher intensity for 1 minute. Change the intervals as you see fit. You can also aim for increasing your overall run time by running twice around the lake, which would be a nice 10K/6m distance.

Eventually you may find that you want to add other running challenges, but it sounds like you're off to a great start. Enjoy the view, and in my view, anyone who puts on running sneakers and hits the road is already a runner! :-)

Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Only thing I would do is change directions regularly. Go clockwise 1 day and counter clockwise the next

Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Only thing I would do is change directions regularly. Go clockwise 1 day and counter clockwise the next
I was going to say the same thing!

Also, my lake has some stairs nearby. A staircase of around 80 stairs. Lots of people take a "break" to run the stairs.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM

96 posts, read 78,462 times
I run the same basic route every time I run. Sometimes I add distance, sometimes I try to add speed, but the route works for me (lake and city skyline make for a nice view). I thrive on routine and consistency, so this works for me. It sounds like what you're doing is working for you, which is what really matters!

Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Interesting idea I never would have thought of. Would this just be to change it up once in awhile? I suppose elevation changes would be different running the other direction.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Interesting idea I never would have thought of. Would this just be to change it up once in awhile? I suppose elevation changes would be different running the other direction.
And the switch will allow your muscles to adjust evenly to the terrain variations. Will likely help with potential imbalance injuries.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 PM

424 posts, read 431,080 times
Quote:
I'm a pretty fit and active person, I do a variety of workouts throughout the week from zumba to weight training classes at my gym.

I recently moved near a lake and have taken up running around the lake on days when I can't get to the gym or when I just feel like being outside!

The lake is about 3.09 miles to go around and I've done it roughly twice a week for maybe 3 weeks now. I have seen improvements in terms of my time, pace, consistency, and the ease at which I am able to run it. Feels great!

Now, I'm not trying to be a "runner" in that I have no plans to want to do a marathon or half marathon or anything like that. I just want to continue to get fit/stay fit.

Is there benefit in running the same course every time I go? Should I find other courses to run of varying lengths? Should I be varying the speed at which I run each time? I don't plan to run any more days of the week, I will likely stick to 2 or 3 because I still want to do my other workouts, but I also still want to see improvements, whatever that looks like.

I also just upgraded my Runkeeper app to Runkeeper Go so I can better track and compare my runs. Thought that might be useful to see.
Well, nah, nothing "wrong" per se about doing that same lake run twice a week or so. (BTW: congrats! It's always good to begin running. It can change your life, man.)

But if you want to improve your cardio conditioning and running chops, then yeah, you need to vary your distances and "type of running" you do. Otherwise, as is the case with most types of exercise, and fitness regimens, your body does what we call "plateaus" after about a month. What is this? Well, for the first few weeks--maybe even a couple months--you'll see an improvement in yourself from running your lake route. You might lose a little weight. Get toned up a bit. (Running "cuts" you). And even find your time getting faster for your 3-mile run. (BTW: your 3.9 mile route is a perfect 5K distance!)

But after some weeks, you sort of level off. Plateau. Your body has become efficeent at completing this same exercise. You will burn less calories. You wont' get any faster. Which, hey , is fine, if that's all you want. I DID notice oyu said you don't want to be a runner.

Runners usually have a 3-pronged training method that they complete every week. One day, ya do what is called a tempo run. This is a run at a good, steady pace, maybe about 70% as fast as you could do a mile. For you, a tempo run distance would be about 2 miles. This is your chance to work on form.

Then you have your LSD day. Long slow day. For you, about five miles, but at a pace that is another 50% slower than you do your 3-mile run. So if you're doing the lake in, say, 27 minutes, ya wanna do your 5-mile long run in a leisurely one hour, or thereabouts. (11:30 miles, more or less.) This run builds endurance.

THEN, we have our "speed-work" day. Or interval training. This is where you do sprints, maybe for one or two minutes, interspersed with two-minute rests. Aim to do, oh, maybe 8-10 reps of this. This builds speed and leg strength and fast-twitch muscle fiber.

So, OK, sorry if I gave you too much info, I digress. I can talk about running all day! LOL

Old 09-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Well, nah, nothing "wrong" per se about doing that same lake run twice a week or so. (BTW: congrats! It's always good to begin running. It can change your life, man.)

But if you want to improve your cardio conditioning and running chops, then yeah, you need to vary your distances and "type of running" you do. Otherwise, as is the case with most types of exercise, and fitness regimens, your body does what we call "plateaus" after about a month. What is this? Well, for the first few weeks--maybe even a couple months--you'll see an improvement in yourself from running your lake route. You might lose a little weight. Get toned up a bit. (Running "cuts" you). And even find your time getting faster for your 3-mile run. (BTW: your 3.9 mile route is a perfect 5K distance!)

But after some weeks, you sort of level off. Plateau. Your body has become efficeent at completing this same exercise. You will burn less calories. You wont' get any faster. Which, hey , is fine, if that's all you want. I DID notice oyu said you don't want to be a runner.

Runners usually have a 3-pronged training method that they complete every week. One day, ya do what is called a tempo run. This is a run at a good, steady pace, maybe about 70% as fast as you could do a mile. For you, a tempo run distance would be about 2 miles. This is your chance to work on form.

Then you have your LSD day. Long slow day. For you, about five miles, but at a pace that is another 50% slower than you do your 3-mile run. So if you're doing the lake in, say, 27 minutes, ya wanna do your 5-mile long run in a leisurely one hour, or thereabouts. (11:30 miles, more or less.) This run builds endurance.

THEN, we have our "speed-work" day. Or interval training. This is where you do sprints, maybe for one or two minutes, interspersed with two-minute rests. Aim to do, oh, maybe 8-10 reps of this. This builds speed and leg strength and fast-twitch muscle fiber.

So, OK, sorry if I gave you too much info, I digress. I can talk about running all day! LOL
Not too much info at all, very helpful!

I did say I don't plan to be a runner, but I think I might want to! In the past, my opinion of running was doing the same thing over and over, one speed. It just got old really fast. I had no real knowledge that you could change it up or how to change it up. You've given more specific advice on how to do that, but what I've been doing recently is a Runkeeper plan from the app. I ended up purchasing the app (good decision!) and now it makes plans for me and varies those plans. I still only plan to run about twice a week (I've found another plan for toning and working on different muscle groups that I am following) but for the two runs each week, it's been fun and has kept my interest. I've only done a few of the scheduled runs so far but they've had me do a 30 minute run with 1 minute intervals and a 4 mile run with 0.25 mile intervals. Switching it up throughout the run is what keeps my interest, makes it seem like less work, and is easier for me to complete and motivate myself to finish.

I really like your advice though, I might incorporate your plans into what I'm currently doing. Or if I ever get sick of what Runkeeper is giving me, I can add yours too.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness