Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:22 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times

Advertisements

Lately I find myself making up for the days that I miss working out. I try to workout at least 4-5 times a week but there's moments where I am so busy that I get a little lazy and skip a workout, which I pound myself over the head for later. When that happens though, I end up making up for the days I missed working out by working out for an extra hour or two when I finally do exercise.

For example, if I workout Monday but don't workout Tuesday, Wednesday and maybe Thursday, I go very hard on Friday to make up for the previous days. I'll workout hard enough that my whole body is really sore for the next few days and I can at least feel accomplished. Then the next day I would do a smaller exercise if possible.

Its a method that I'm not crazy about but it has also been working for me and I have been able to see results. At the same time, I've been in shape for a long time and I athletic so my body is pretty well conditioned. I don't know if this would work for people who are at the beginning of their exercise ventures. I could be wrong though.

Anyway do anything similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Yes and no.

I typically work out Monday through Friday. Last week I rolled my Friday workout to Saturday. This past week I took Wednesday off as a spontaneous recovery day that was much needed. Then Thursday saw the chaos erupt at work (I usually work out at work) so I missed that day. I could have probably just done my Thursday workout that evening but I do have a life outside of my job and working out.

Friday I did a bit of a make-up workout by combining the big lifts that I was supposed to do on Thursday with the big lifts regularly schedule for Friday. I cut out all other lifts for both workout days and consequently had a slightly shorter workout session on Friday. I combined Squat, deadlift and bench press though, something I rarely do.

I don't really ever work out longer than normal to make up for lost sessions, though. I reach a point where I hit diminishing returns after a while and it's better for me to cut my losses and not overdo it.

Next week I have a conference at work on Tuesday and Wednesday, as well as a work sponsored family day on Thursday. Monday I will be doing final prep for the conference. I also have a couple evening obligations this week, one family one professional (conference related). Needless to say this week will be a hit/miss workout week. I liked what I did on Friday and will probably do something similar throughout next week to ensure I don't lose ground but am not spending too much time away from work's responsibilities. The idea is to not lose ground. I'm not worried about making up lost time or reps, though.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Nope. I'd jump out of my skin if I didn't get a good workout everyday.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I stopped working out 4-5 times per week because I found myself frequently having to make up for missed days. Best thing for me: 3 full-body workouts during the week, then weekends are bonus days for doing some extra cardio.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
I need to walk/run at least 5-10 miles per day to feel good.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:56 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Nope...but I have to workout a minimum of 5 days a week to keep my head on straight. If I'm scheduled for a Sunday long run and skip it...I roll it over to Monday and adjust my schedule for the week.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I stopped working out 4-5 times per week because I found myself frequently having to make up for missed days. Best thing for me: 3 full-body workouts during the week, then weekends are bonus days for doing some extra cardio.
Research shows that beginners get the best gains with 3 full body workouts per week.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM

424 posts, read 431,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Lately I find myself making up for the days that I miss working out. I try to workout at least 4-5 times a week but there's moments where I am so busy that I get a little lazy and skip a workout, which I pound myself over the head for later. When that happens though, I end up making up for the days I missed working out by working out for an extra hour or two when I finally do exercise.

For example, if I workout Monday but don't workout Tuesday, Wednesday and maybe Thursday, I go very hard on Friday to make up for the previous days. I'll workout hard enough that my whole body is really sore for the next few days and I can at least feel accomplished. Then the next day I would do a smaller exercise if possible.

Its a method that I'm not crazy about but it has also been working for me and I have been able to see results. At the same time, I've been in shape for a long time and I athletic so my body is pretty well conditioned. I don't know if this would work for people who are at the beginning of their exercise ventures. I could be wrong though.

You're actually pretty typical. Lost of people (most?) have a tendency to "go hard" at the gym, out of guilt, after missing a few days. You can see this dynamic in real life, every week, in every gym in the country! LOL--or at least every Gym I've ever been a member of.
So, go there on Monday, say during those usual peak hours between 4 and 7 p.m. Its almost full, right? that's all those people getting back in the exercise groove after taking the weekend off. And a lot of times eating or drinking or being more sedentary then the should have. or than they think they should have.

Then what happens in that Gym as the week progresses? it's always the same: Tuesday, still pretty Busy. Wednesday, a noticeable let-up; Thursday, same deal; and then when Friday afternoon/evening hits it's Dead Zone time, baby! LOL. It's like a set pattern.

SO don't worry about what you're doing. Hey, you're working out fairly regularly and what's better you are aware of it when you don't and so you strive to make amends. This is more than 80% of the American adult population does. So you're still in the elite, my brother. I would advise you not to go TOO hard on that first day back, as I am not sure you can really "make-up" for lost time. And the diff in your workout between doing regular intensity and one that is ramped up might not be negligible enough to make it worth the risk of injury or the pain of being sore for the next couple days. (where you said you had to go light, anyway, right? since you're sore?>) Hell, just go normal in the first place when you return to the gym after a lay-off. You'll be fine. Maybe do a little extra cardio but not so much with the more intense weights.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:

For me, a skipped/missed workout is either made up later in the day/evening, or I just turn that day into a rest day. I only allow myself 1-2 rest days per week though.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:

If I had to exercise that much I would just reduce what I ate. No sense in wearing out your body. Keeping that up long term will cause issues down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness