Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times

Advertisements

Oh, just wait till you're 10 years older...it only gets worse!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
getting older sucks! everything falls apart..lol im 36 I have always been in pretty good shape and worked out....but my joints feel like they are 90...lol

Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am 47 and have just recently gotten more serious about nutrition and eating only the calories my body requires and moving around a little more and I am seeing the results that I saw when I was younger and got serious. I do believe that age does make a little difference, but I think that the seriousness is what really makes a big difference. So yeah, you cannot eat with abandon anymore though.

When you "hit the gym" you could be burning let's just guess 400 calories, and then you might go home and eat 500. Bam, workout negated. Meaning, overall throughout the day, let's just say you burned 2000 all together, but you ate around 2400, you have burned less than you ate, so you're not going to lose weight.
This ^^ This ^^ people have to accept this or don't expect any weight loss.

I can't tell you how many times in my life I made the mistake of the OP and everyone keeps asking me why I look so good while grazing on food all day long and doing almost no exercise.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Yes, it’s called aging and it doesn’t stop.

I’ve been an athlete pretty much my whole life. Haven’t competed the last few years so now I’m just athletic, but not an athlete. I’m in my early 40’s.

Train smarter (if you’ve been into fitness for a while you should know a lot more now than you did a few years ago), eat better, get more rest, don’t let fitness dominate your life (i.e. remember to enjoy yourself and live a little – it’ll do ya good).

Lastly, accept it and measure yourself against yourself and take age into consideration.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:16 PM

95 posts, read 204,305 times
It's the beer that gets me now. I'm 39 now, and I can always tell when I've been drinking more because I start to carry more around the midsection (like now; too many cold beers in the sun this summer for me).

Old 09-10-2015, 02:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm finding it absolutely exhausting to stay in good shape now! My husband too. I feel like there's no room for error anymore. In my 20's, I could party all night long and just lose 5lbs in a week, easy. Now? One restaurant visit a month

Is this pretty typical? Or have I just lose a sense of portion sizing? I hit the gym 4-5x a week but it just isn't having the same effect.
Exactly the same at only 30 working out is much harder both doing the work out and physical appearance compared to when I was 18

And yes like all teens/early 20s I could go out for 2 day benders ( drinking/partying) with no sleep and feel fine but now!!! I feel rough for about 2days after a boozy night out

Old 09-10-2015, 02:56 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean33 View Post
It's the beer that gets me now. I'm 39 now, and I can always tell when I've been drinking more because I start to carry more around the midsection (like now; too many cold beers in the sun this summer for me).
I don't drink beer anymore and I've still got the midsection. Ugh, I think I inherited it from my mom, she was always at a good weight but she had what I always called a "bowling ball" right there.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I'm in my 40's & have twice as much energy as people half my age...
I'm the type to be very restless though & get bored easily...
Working out is one way I've always used up that excessive energy......

Most people's metabolisms seem to slow down though, the older they get......

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Margin of error goes way down and workout recovery time goes up. In my 20s i could kill a whole pizza, do a 2 hour workout and be good. Now i'm in my early 30s and that same pizza will make my ass jiggle for a month while those longer workouts, which I no longer really have time for, do a real number on me.

I think most people get caught off guard, eating the way they always and there is no alarm that goes off saying "hey, metabolism is dropping, back the hell off the buffet table."

If youre 35 or even 45 and youre still eating the same as you did when you were 25, you better be blessed with some incredible genetics or be a pro athlete, otherwise you dun goofed.

The answer for me has been to eat less calories and to make each one count more by eating a more nutritionally dense diet.

Last edited by Juram; 09-10-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 06:35 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
One other thing about aging and exercise, and this is important enough to have me revisit this post.

Warm up.

Warming up is so much more critical. And the amount of warming up needed is much greater. If you don’t warm up properly and for enough time, you will get injured. And while on that topic, another fun thing is that if you do get injured, it’ll take the injury a much longer time to heal.

I’m awesome and instantaneously limber in my head. In reality, I’ve learned my lesson and now spend a much greater amount of time on prevention so that I’m not side lined.

And just wait for the affects of aging on your libido. When that kicks in, it’ll make you feel a lot worse than not being able to lift as much or run as fast as when you where young. Oh, and of course the recommended medical procedures are fun too. Hope you enjoy people messing with your junk and sticking things into your body in places where things should be coming out of your body.

All part of life and aging. You wake up and find that you aren’t invincible and become acutely aware of your mortality.

You can’t avoid that but you can push it off through diet, exercise, avoiding stress, etc. I’m starting early and switching my fitness goals from performance and impressing the ladies to being able to get it up when I’m in my 60’s and non-painful bathroom trips when I’m in my 80’s. It’s less about living longer and more about quality of life while I’m alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness