Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:44 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times

Advertisements

Everyone likes to complain about age discrimination in hiring and insist that they do not practice it at their company but it exists and is getting worse in today's terrible job market.

Now that I am middle age I understand the reasons why age discrimination exists and can even accept it at times. I have seen so many older work just get tired. They may get plenty of sleep but they are just plain tired! The older workers at my employer seem tired of the whole thing, their energy level is down, they seem older than their years and have a hard time relating to the 20 or 30 something workers. They have lost their edge and no longer have the mojo they once had. It reminds me of an aging movie star who once had a natural charisma but now is a shell of their former selves.

Are you an older worker? Have you lost your mojo after years of bad bosses, changing work rules, poor employers, corporate speak, layoffs, office politics and just plain bad jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Are you an older worker? Have you lost your mojo after years of bad bosses, changing work rules, poor employers, corporate speak, layoffs, office politics and just plain bad jobs?
Yes, I am older.

I used to be able to work til 3:00 AM and be back at 7:00 AM but no more. When I work late now at 11:00 PM I just go home.

Physically I can not do near what I did just 10 years ago much less 30. My shoulders hurt. Lucky for me my job isn't physical but two days a month and even then it isn't heavy physical.

But I have experience. I haven't experienced or seen everything but I have seen a lot. When encountering a problem most often I have seen it before.

Youthful exuberance and agility is no match for experience and knowing the ways of treachery.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,419 times
I am a 58 year old accountant. I worked for 41 years with only 1 2wk vacation in my entire career. All the other times it was a day here and a day there and always accommodating the employer. I saved for many years to take a break from all that and spend two years doing exactly what I wanted every day. I have about 10 months to go in my time off. Fortunately, it came at a good time in the econimic climate as the 45 year company I worked for closed down 8 months after I took off.
I cannot begin to tell you what this time off has meant to me. I spent so many years sucking it up and doing it every day that I was totally burned out. Now I feel better and more balanced and when I go back to work I will be totally refreshed. I keep up with the new computer technologies and what I need to know for my profession, but I am now questioning whether I want to go back to that stress or just lower my lifestyle and be a greeter at Wal Mart. To me, a living is a living as long as I can make it work for me. We will see.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I am almost 50 and still going strong. I work a full time job and also freelance in a different line of work--which I have to admit is probably what keeps me "young" more than anything else. Still have time for attending concerts, wine tastings, dinner with friends, and vacations.

I can no longer stay out until 3:00 am and be to work at 8:00 am four nights a week, and my bones hurt now and then, but I have more stamina and energy than a lot of people 10-15 years younger than I am.

I am technologically savvy, I'm the "go-to" person at my office when someone has a computer problem. I keep up on trends and innovation in my feild, and add value to the bottom line of the company I work for.

I look at least 10 years younger than I am--some of it genetics, some of it is taking care of myself physically and mentally. I refuse to act or dress like an "old person" but don't act or dress like a 20 year old either. I've found a happy medium. Haven't lost my mojo, not at all.

I do think that there are some people my age who have burned out. Many of them act and dress like 70 year olds. They have let themselves go physically and become apathetic mentally. That's actually very sad, as this should be the prime of their life!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:28 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
I agree with your post. You have to make an effort to keep up. The world keeps changing and it will continue if you are on board or not. I notice that the middle age workers, I guess I am in there at 49 do constantly b**** about everything! Take forever to make a decision, never step forward to go the extra inch much less the mile.
I still rock out, could that me the fountain of youth?
With people still living into their 90's the 50's could mean you have a heck of a long time to live, how to YOU want to live it?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I need to add that I have a wide circle of friends that range from 25-70. I don't choose my friends by age, but rather because they are people who are intersting and I've got common interests with.

I can talk about the latest trends in sustainable natural resources with the 25 year olds, or Tony Bennett with the 70 year olds. I read the paper and watch the news, so I'm up on current events.

I think this gives me the ability to relate to people of all ages that I encounter in the workplace.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
I am in my 50s. If the job dictates putting in a 20 hour day, I still can. Away from work I have not slowed down any. About the only area I have seen much change is when driving long distances. My rest area naps last twice as long.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
It might depend on how that person feels about their job.

For instance, if you enjoy what your doing, your probably going to keep going strong longer. If you have been working a job for a long time, and have it just because "you need a job" and you really don't like it, the toll of putting up with it will catch up with you.

I have lost my mojo at my current job, and I am 31 and have been here 8 years and have been very successful in what I am doing. I just really dislike the work and demands of the position. My mojo has been redirected to the planning of my out strategy.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
I'm 58 going on 59 and no I have not lost my mojo, I'm current in techno stuff and I run a farm before and after work and on weekends by myself and with some chronic health problems. I'd love to see some 20 or 30 somethings keep up with me for example; loading, unloading and stacking 50Lbs hay bales, repairing and installing fencing and "mowing" my lawing consists of sitting on a tractor and bushoging acres of pasture. Just 3 weeks ago I put up 300 feet of fencing with only another 50+ woman to help me...that's pounding in T-posts, hanging and streaching fence, hanging a gate.

I not only have a wealth of experience but I can hit the ground running, so I get quite offended when someone sez we 50+ers have lost their mojo. Maybe where you work is too much of a sweatshop environment and they've been at it for way too long.

But we come to the table with a wealth of life experience, and work ethic that can't be matched by the youngsters...so what if some of us are a bit slower...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It might depend on how that person feels about their job.

For instance, if you enjoy what your doing, your probably going to keep going strong longer. If you have been working a job for a long time, and have it just because "you need a job" and you really don't like it, the toll of putting up with it will catch up with you.
Bingo! My sentiments exactly. Just depends on how you feel about your job in a lot of cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment