Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Is there any sort of cardio that I can do with two broken feet? I have two fifth metatarsal fractures and I really dont want to pack on the pounds by not being mobile. The foot doctor said no biking/cycling but I can't see why I couldn't use a exercise bike.
My heartfelt empathy.

Three and a half weeks ago I fell down the stairs in the middle of the night and broke my right fibula. Life has pretty well sucked since then. Like you, I exercised a lot by riding my bike...it's one of my favorite forms of exercise; especially now that it's Fall!! Have probably gone against doc's orders a time or two when I broke down and rode bikes with my son to his school. However, the bone I've broken is not in my foot so in your situation you need to be more careful about the nature of any weight bearing you might do.

I've had nobody up here to help me with my son, as we moved to Alaska over the summer and my husband has been indisposed in WA state finishing up his training. Thus, I've been forced to put more weight on my affected side than the doc recommended, although they did not tell me I CAN'T bear weight.

Good luck. Hope your healing process is well under way! I'm hoping to be more or less relatively normal by Halloween when we take our son ToTing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:32 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Lie on a bed, put your feet in the air, and pedal madly.

Sit in a chair and go through the motions of running.

Deep water running using a buoy belt.

Rowing machine might work if you are careful not to put any pressure on your feet.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Is there any sort of cardio that I can do with two broken feet? I have two fifth metatarsal fractures and I really dont want to pack on the pounds by not being mobile. The foot doctor said no biking/cycling but I can't see why I couldn't use a exercise bike.
Exercise bike with two broken feet? What would you pedal with? Anyway, there is a device you can use called an arm bike. It's an exercise bike for your arms. I used it when I was doing physical therapy after shoulder surgery. You have to use speed in order to make it more cardiovascular, but it will probably help. Also, strength exercises for you upper body can help: bicep curls and maybe ab crunches if you can support your lower back with your feet. And remember, diet is key. Sticking to a healthy diet can minimize or prevent weight gain, and that can be done even if you're in traction No matter what, healing your feet is more important than anything else. Gaining weight from inactivity is much better than risking poor wound healing from overexercising your broken feet.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Rowing or swimming possibly. Rowing likely the best since your foot itself doesn't move at all. Swimming would be good too though you are still moving your foot, but you aren't putting pressure on the foot. If you wanted to be extra cautious you could just use a pull buoy which would allow you to strictly use your upper body muscles.
Not rowing. Rowing is 60% leg which requires pushing with your feet against the machine.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Rowing or swimming possibly. Rowing likely the best since your foot itself doesn't move at all. Swimming would be good too though you are still moving your foot, but you aren't putting pressure on the foot. If you wanted to be extra cautious you could just use a pull buoy which would allow you to strictly use your upper body muscles.
You'd be surprised how much stress swimming actually puts on your feet and ankles. When I was in college, I got a really bad ankle sprain. I wore a brace for a couple months before it was fully healed. After that, I never felt the slightest pain from it EXCEPT when swimming. I felt it for 9 full months after the injury when swimming.

But yes, with a pull buoy so that you are just working your upper body would be an excellent cardio workout.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Cardio does not prevent weight gain, eating less prevents weight gain. I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say, I know it sucks, but basically you're going to have take a calorie cut while you're healing.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Just monitor your diet if you don't want to pack on the pounds. Get into other activities. Reading, drawing, etc to avoid eating a lot of food.

You need to allow your broken feet to repair itself otherwise you can develop long-term complications.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM

77 posts, read 74,342 times
Quote:
Listen to your doctor.

How about swimming?

Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
You really want us to answer this, OK, pour a round of blue berry merlot for you and your girl and start there, lol. No Disrespect.

Just saying..
Best answer yet and now I have to go look for blueberry Merlot. YUM

Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Every gym has rowing machine. See how meta tarsals are up in the air? Just keep pressure on heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness