Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Why do most people fail?

Easy, Mcdonald's for breakfast, Chipotle for dinner, and Panda Express for dinner, all the largest portions available.

And getting too tired and lazy to exercise before or after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:51 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
-Idiot relatives/friends/neighbours will comment on how you're "wasting away" even while you're barely under the "overweight" threshold of a 25 BMI.
The body weight vs height approach to BMI is way off if you have a muscular physique. Nobody in their right mind would say that someone at a true 25 BMI is "wasting away".

Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I think it might be genetics for me. I'm slim but no matter how much I try, my cardio endurance is terrible. Like getting winded after two flights of stairs bad.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:58 AM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
-We (Americans) have to deal with nearly every processed food we eat containing added sugar. Why is HFCS in BREAD? Does that muffin really need 60g of sugar per item? Could not the recipe work with less?
-One finds himself thinking about food - constantly. This is annoying. It was much easier to just eat whatever the hell I wanted, until I began to hate myself.
Yeah, when you first start learning about eating right it's amazing how many common foods have these additives. And you'll find yourself altering recipes a lot. Honey or agave nectar are my sugars now.

A good thing about eating right, though, is after a while the junk you used to eat doesn't taste as good anymore.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why do most people fail?

Easy, Mcdonald's for breakfast, Chipotle for dinner, and Panda Express for dinner, all the largest portions available.

And getting too tired and lazy to exercise before or after work.
Sugar: 8 times more addicting than cocaine. For example 1 slice of pizza has more sugar than than a hand full of cookies.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Getting fit isn't pleasurable. Eating, especially, pizza, tacos, etc., is pleasurable. It's very convenient to be unfit. It involves little effort and a lot of pleasure.
I'll bet there were a lot of out-of-shape cave-men and cave-women. They largely got off their rear ends to hunt for food, nuts, fruit. And if the run was really productive, lots of meat, fish, an abundance of fruit/nuts then they'd just eat themselves silly for days on end, only moving to swat a fly or a mosquito. Or they'd economize on the food, stretch it out, so they wouldn't have to go out on another run for awhile.

And if Tarzan were to say to Jane: Hey Jane! We have plenty of food for a week, how about taking a long, long walk through the forest?

Jane: Wake me up when you get back!

I have a tendency to gain weight when I exercise. I started taking 6 mile round trip bike rides at night, between 2am & 4am (I'm a night shift worker, up all night!), and wouldn't you know, on these trips, I run into 24-hour MacDonald's (I deserve it! After that long bike ride! A Milkshake or Sundae ), a 24-hour Donut Shop (where the donuts are the freshest and tastiest at 4am! ) and there's a 24-hour Denny's open with temptations as well.

Sometimes I walk and wouldn't you know, within 6 blocks of my house, 4 24-hour bars open (Las Vegas here!) for a beer! And most serve food as well!

It's my opinion, that exercise is foreign to the human race, which is why it's so difficult to stay motivated (a synonym for lazy is un-motivated, a better word to use).

Old 12-01-2015, 06:36 AM

215 posts, read 185,510 times
Not removing corn syrup, corn starch, modified food starch, maltodextrin, dextrose, canola oil, so-called "natural flavors", artificial ingredients, and GMO soy ingredients from their diet -- not looking at ingredients labels

Yes I've just excluded 99.8% of packaged foods

Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,670 times
People place too much emphasis on exercise to lose weight and get healthy. It starts and ends with diet. Exercise should be a supplement to a healthy lifestyle, and does not need to be regimented, scheduled, or overly complex.

Exercise is free and does not have to take place in a gym or on a treadmill. Walk some stairs, do some pushups, get outside and "play". When it becomes a "chore", it becomes difficult to maintain. A good diet will often have the great side-benefit of making you want to move around more.

Eat right, and the rest usually follows.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:52 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
What do you think most beginners get wrong when they start an exercise program?
Lack of determination and discipline.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:58 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
People place too much emphasis on exercise to lose weight and get healthy. It starts and ends with diet. Exercise should be a supplement to a healthy lifestyle, and does not need to be regimented, scheduled, or overly complex.

Exercise is free and does not have to take place in a gym or on a treadmill. Walk some stairs, do some pushups, get outside and "play". When it becomes a "chore", it becomes difficult to maintain. A good diet will often have the great side-benefit of making you want to move around more.

Eat right, and the rest usually follows.
True. But for some of us, if it doesn't get done at the gym, it doesn't happen. I've been a regularly attending member of a gym for over 30 years now. Besides being my venue for most of my exercise (I also run) it is where I clear my mind. I love doing the outdoor stuff, naturally, but my time at the gym allows me to be far more capable to do the outdoor activities, with ease. Different strokes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness