Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times

Advertisements

For the past 16 weeks I have joined a group workout exercise at the local gym. We meet twice a week for one hour. It is a pretty intense cardio routine; walk outs, squats, burpees, ball slams, etc. By the end of the hour I am drenched. Now, why have I gained wait? There is NO way I am getting fat. I am not eating any different and burning what has to be thousands of calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Do you know your body fat percent? Instead of monitoring weight, you should be monitoring body fat.

You state "intense" but that is generally subjective, it may not be intense at all, just feeling intense to you, I do not know, I just say this because the intensity may not be as much as you think it is, thus not burning those calories as you think it should be.

Do you have any visual difference? Sixteen weeks is not long, but visual differences depends on what you looked like before, you may not be able to tell, or may be able to tell a lot.

In any case, without knowing all the facts, it could be a combination of water retention and muscle growth, offsetting the fat loss, which overall is causing your weight to increase, but you are actually decreasing in fat.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
For the past 16 weeks I have joined a group workout exercise at the local gym. We meet twice a week for one hour. It is a pretty intense cardio routine; walk outs, squats, burpees, ball slams, etc. By the end of the hour I am drenched. Now, why have I gained wait? There is NO way I am getting fat. I am not eating any different and burning what has to be thousands of calories.
I went in to the military at 118. I left the military at 130...best shape of my life. It's not fat. Sometimes you gain weight when you get in shape. Weight doesn't matter, what matters is your health, and how your clothes fit.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
it doesn't make sense its either you don't push yourself nearly enough or your regular eating routine is bad.
the numbers don't lie if you burn more than you take in you WILL lose weight........

Old 01-02-2016, 04:09 AM

434 posts, read 248,031 times
As mentioned you can gain weight by putting on muscle while losing fat which isn't a bad thing.

That being said it all comes down to diet. You can only put on weight if your eating more calories then your burning. I'd suggest adding up how much you eat in a day for a refernce point.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
As mentioned you can gain weight by putting on muscle while losing fat which isn't a bad thing.

That being said it all comes down to diet. You can only put on weight if your eating more calories then your burning. I'd suggest adding up how much you eat in a day for a refernce point.
This is it right here. You're consuming a lot more calories than you think you are, and that's why you're gaining. Get an app on your phone and start tracking everything you eat; every single calorie. You're not gonna be able to sweat it off. Limit your calorie intake and you WILL lose weight.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
So, 2 hours a week of exercise? Do you actually thinking you're burning thousands of calories?

You're overestimating your calories burned and your underestimating the calories in your diet, ergo, the weight gain. And I highly doubt, its muscle gain with 2 hours a week of any exercise.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So, 2 hours a week of exercise? Do you actually thinking you're burning thousands of calories?

You're overestimating your calories burned and your underestimating the calories in your diet, ergo, the weight gain. And I highly doubt, its muscle gain with 2 hours a week of any exercise.
Exactly this. Also, people underestimate how many calories they eat. You don't need an app on your phone to track your calories. Paper and pencil does the job just fine. I use a BodyMinder diet and workout journal. It is a wonderful tool for tracking what I eat and the exercise I do. Weigh your foods and check the calorie counts online. It's a PITA, but much more effective than just assuming you're eating right. A lot of people think that because they are exercising they can eat a lot more calories. In fact, exercise doesn't burn a whole lot of calories. It's much easier to lose weight by not eating too many calories in the first place. The exercise helps you build muscle, trim fat, and make you strong.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
As others have stated, adding 2 hours per week of exercise and changing nothing else probably won't make much of a difference other than making you feel good for 2 hours a week if you like sweating.

Most old school writings on cardio say minimum to even start seeing any benefit is 3x per week. But, if how and what you are eating is not being adjusted in conjunction with exercise, who knows what your outcome will be. Calculate your TDEE to get an idea of your calorie intake. And then, look at what you eat and adjust accordingly, because for example 2,000 calories of McDonald's cheeseburgers will give you a different result than 2,000 calories of fish and vegetables.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly this. Also, people underestimate how many calories they eat. You don't need an app on your phone to track your calories. Paper and pencil does the job just fine. I use a BodyMinder diet and workout journal. It is a wonderful tool for tracking what I eat and the exercise I do. Weigh your foods and check the calorie counts online. It's a PITA, but much more effective than just assuming you're eating right. A lot of people think that because they are exercising they can eat a lot more calories. In fact, exercise doesn't burn a whole lot of calories. It's much easier to lose weight by not eating too many calories in the first place. The exercise helps you build muscle, trim fat, and make you strong.
I spent two solid months tracking everything I ate about a year ago. It was the best thing I could have done. I learned what my calorie intake truly was, and since that time can pretty much know how I ate for the day. I used MyFitnessPal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness