Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Total nonsense. Any lift has the potential to cause injury if not done right, and the idea that a properly performed squat is damaging is ridiculous.
I'll take this a step further. Any exercise of any sort has the potential to cause injury if done improperly. That's not a good reason to avoid exercise.

The same goes for specific exercises, like squats and deadlifts. If you've got some known medical issue that would make some particular exercise inadvisable, fine, but general advice to avoid an exercise that's beneficial if done correctly, just because there's some risk to doing it incorrectly, makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes they do. ALL the time. I don't do them for that reason.

Or, you could learn how to perform these movements properly.

It's really not that hard....

Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Coaches, not gyms. I'm in the military and we're full of certified crossfit coaches, both in uniform and civilian.

Odd, I've never experienced this at all.

I just had a buddy go through the Level 1 cert a couple of weeks ago, I'll ask him about what they taught about coaching squats, specifically.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I'm curious MBII, how long have you been deadlifting? Did you ever have a coach personally evaluate your technique? And, what's your 1RM deadlift? (You knew that question was coming, right?)

We can also agree that there's a world of difference between being 100% optimal and efficient at moving the highest weight you are capable of, and "safe", though. Right?

Take my clean, for example. I'm certain I'm leaving pounds on the table because my proficiency at the movement is not at a nationally competitive level. However, I manage to do cleans, heavy cleans, every week and not get injured.

Plus a weightlifting coach and a powerlifting coach would almost certainly critique my squat differently.

Bottom line, McBain is right - squats and deadlifts are pretty simple to learn to do safely, learning to do them optimally is much harder and takes much longer.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 484 times
like creatine, inositol are choice to bulid muscle

Old 07-05-2016, 10:23 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Yes, but not if you train like a long distance runner necessarily

http://www.natpersonaltraining.com/a...s-sprinter.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness