Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,398,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Um...68.6% of Americans are overweight or obese. In fact over a third of Americans are obese. So, in fact, even if she is the same size as an average woman in the USA, she is certainly overweight then, and likely obese.
Yes, the average woman in the US is overweight...not obese. The model is not obese. Read what I wrote. She is overweight. Big deal.

Having worked in the industry myself, I don't think other models epitomize health in any way. I don't think Ashley needs to be "healthy" to get work. Lots of girls even OD'd and had to be hospitalized from drugs in the nineties, and yet they worked consistently. Girls are currently dropping like flies from eating disorders. I don't think I've ever heard a peep from Cheryl Tiegs about that. She's entitled to her opinion, but any flak she gets is to be expected.

Do you really think one model in one edition of a magazine is going to be detrimental to the health of a nation? That's laughable. Just like heroin chic looks in the nineties didn't cause teens to run out and try drugs, I doubt any teens are running out to scarf a cheeseburger or two.

People are overweight for several reasons. They eat too many high calorie foods and they are more sedentary. People spend billions of dollars battling the bulge, and society does not accept being overweight as being okay. It's not because someone saw a photo of a girl in a swim suit.

Go ask a five year old if it's okay to be fat. They will tell you how people really feel about being overweight. One hundred magazine photos wouldn't even change that. It's drilled into us that being fat is the worst thing in the world from a young age. if a young child can tell you that, you know it's a prevalent attitude.

Last edited by Meyerland; 03-02-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:01 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,732,850 times
This thought just dawned on me. Why would you not want a overweight attractive women in a swim suit in Sports Illustrated? Think about the positive influence that could be encouraging people that are overweight and conscious of their bodies to get on that swim suit go to the local pool or ocean and get active! I think a lot of people don't get that a lot of overweight people feel self conscious doing physical activity and putting an image of someone they can physically relate to in a swim suit, running, on a tread mill, playing sports ect can be inspiring ... like a send a message that hey maybe I can do that to or a message that enjoying physical activity is something any and everyone can take part in. Why not encourage change by inspiring people and not shaming them. Help build up their belief that they can make positive changes. Ashley Graham is likely clinically obese (is my professional option ... it does not take that high of a BMI to get there), but she is certainly an inspiration to many people who like the idea of inclusion and not shaming people out of taking part in all aspects of life which can further isolate and demotivate people.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Do you really think one model in one edition of a magazine is going to be detrimental to the health of a nation? That's laughable. Just like heroin chic looks in the nineties didn't cause teens to run out and try drugs, I doubt any teens are running out to scarf a cheeseburger or two.
Lots has been said since my last contribution to this thread and I've not read all the posts. I wanted to reply to the member who counter-pointed and quoted me but a lot has passed since then and it's a little O.B.E. now. But I do find this to be a good counter to the "very dangerous" narrative we've seen here a few times in response to SI putting an "obese" model on the cover of their magazine. There are a lot of monsters in the closet that are far bigger (see what I did there? ) than a full figure model on the cover of a swimsuit magazine.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This thought just dawned on me. Why would you not want a overweight attractive women in a swim suit in Sports Illustrated? Think about the positive influence that could be encouraging people that are overweight and conscious of their bodies to get on that swim suit held to the local pool or ocean and get active! I think a lot of people don't get that a lot of overweight people feel self conscious doing physical activity and putting an image of someone they can physically relate to in a swim suit, running, on a tread mill, playing sports can be inspiring ... like a hey maybe I can do that to or a message that enjoying physical activity is something any and everyone can take part in.
You know, I think we do have a weight issue in our country but I've long believed it's overstated due to use of BMI as the metric by which the stats are measured. BMI is utter garbage as a metric for gauging health. That doesn't mean I'm in denial of the problem. But I also think we are more "activity" focussed than we've been in a long time. Gym memberships are at a high. TV commercials run (ironically enough) to encourage people to get active. Recreational stores like REI, Gander Mountain, Dick's are killing it in an otherwise weak economy. There's a lot of reason to have hope.

It's funny because there have been times when the place where I will see the highest concentration of overweight people will be when I'm at the gym. Isn't that where they should be? I think so. But even if they are not actively trying to turn themselves around a human being deserves a certain amount of dignity just for being a human being. Unfortunately it is still very much socially acceptable to publicly deride overweight people (more so women than men, but men are certainly not exempt). While I don't think pushing a "healthy at any weight" narrative is the right response (because I don't necessarily believe that's true) I think campaigns that advocate for treating people with a standard minimal amount of dignity is a good thing.

If Ashley Graham being on the cover of SI helps with this, I think that's a good thing.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,092,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This thought just dawned on me. Why would you not want a overweight attractive women in a swim suit in Sports Illustrated? Think about the positive influence that could be encouraging people that are overweight and conscious of their bodies to get on that swim suit go to the local pool or ocean and get active! I think a lot of people don't get that a lot of overweight people feel self conscious doing physical activity and putting an image of someone they can physically relate to in a swim suit, running, on a tread mill, playing sports ect can be inspiring ... like a send a message that hey maybe I can do that to or a message that enjoying physical activity is something any and everyone can take part in. Why not encourage change by inspiring people and not shaming them. Help build up their belief that they can make positive changes. Ashley Graham is likely clinically obese (is my professional option ... it does not take that high of a BMI to get there), but she is certainly an inspiration to many people who like the idea of inclusion and not shaming people out of taking part in all aspects of life which can further isolate and demotivate people.
Excellent point.

I touched upon this before, but I'll reiterate it. For a lot of women, their self-worth as a human being is tied in with their attractiveness. If they are not attractive, they are not a full human being with accompanying rights. They believe it and those around them will reinforce it in them at every turn.

Imagine being a size 26 or something, and realizing that you won't achieve "full human being" status until you are size 6. Until then you are something less than human and will be treated as such. And imagine trying to exercise and do all the things you must do to get to a size 6, all while being treated like you're worthless. It takes a long time to lose all that weight, and it's made even longer when you're depressed all the time and as klmrocks says, "demotivated" all the time.

I may sound like I'm exaggerating, but this has been the experience of many people.

Then imagine seeing someone like Ashley Graham, who is about halfway to your goal (size 14 instead of size 6) and how she's being treated like a full human being, she's beautiful, and you realize that it's possible, and that even if you're not a perfect size 6, you are not worthless and you shouldn't hide yourself away.

I'd also add that I think Tess Holliday helps do that too, at her size 22 (or whatever it is) because while her body does look uncomfortably fat to me, she has a beautiful face and a "who gives a crap" attitude, and she's also claiming her full human being status.

There's no law that says a fat person can't simultaneously be working to improve their health, and also feeling like they're not horrible, not hideous, and don't need to hide themselves away until they have a "bikini body." I don't agree with those who say that fat people shouldn't be working to improve their health, but I actually don't think there are that many people who say that. I believe most people agree that fat people should be working on positive changes, but they shouldn't be made to feel constantly worthless while they're trying to do it.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I'd also add that I think Tess Holliday helps do that too, at her size 22 (or whatever it is) because while her body does look uncomfortably fat to me, she has a beautiful face and a "who gives a crap" attitude, and she's also claiming her full human being status.
I am probably going to get crucified for this but I think Tess Holliday is pretty hot. I've had girlfriends who were both her body type and Ashley Graham's, as well as some who were right in with society's ideal body type. A beautiful woman can be found in a lot of different heights, weights, and body types!

Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,092,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I am probably going to get crucified for this but I think Tess Holliday is pretty hot. I've had girlfriends who were both her body type and Ashley Graham's, as well as some who were right in with society's ideal body type. A beautiful woman can be found in a lot of different heights, weights, and body types!
She is very beautiful, that is true. I don't have a problem with people finding different body types attractive, that's what makes the world go round. Some men only find slender women attractive, and there's nothing wrong with that. Other men also find bigger girls attractive, and that's fine too.

You talk about how you're going to get "crucified" for stating your opinion about Tess Holliday. Yes, there will be guys who will get angry with you. The outrage these guys express is puzzling, because you'd think they wouldn't care. But as you probably already know, part of their outrage is because they believe that the "fatty lover" guys are going to encourage more women to "let themselves go" and become fat.

If more women gain weight, this reduces the "market" of "acceptable" thin women for the rest of the guys. And, after all, women should be pressured or shamed into making their bodies (also known as "the product") pleasing to these men. So when a woman is "encouraged" to "ruin" the "product" (her own body) by gaining weight, she has in essence deprived these men of something they feel they deserve: A thin girlfriend! And these women should have no right to do that, don't you see?

Some people are so funny!

ETA: While there's plenty of hate for fat men too, I think the extra dollop of hatred for fat women stems from what I've explained above: Men hate that these women are 'depriving' them (the men) of a thin girlfriend. The more women who gain weight, the smaller the pool of thin, acceptable women remains.

This article talks about how fat women (no mention of men) are being handed mean-spirited "Fat-Haters" cards on the train: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b079b2818b4901

Last edited by elvira310; 03-02-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,732,850 times
I love the use of the wording "the fat people" ... That is a pretty subjective way to describe people. Someone's weight is just one trait of the millions of traits that make up a person. If you don't get that as a human being I personally think there might be somethings wrong with you. It is kind of scary how obsessed certain people are about body weight. When I responded to this I did not realize it was in this part of the forum. I think people that are very in to fitness dont get that not everyone shares their passion/ obsession for controlling their body. Other people have other passions and focuses in life and don't get your perspective and might actually view your actions and values as strange and mentally unhealthy.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,452,936 times
I think Cheryl looked unhealthy at her peak and she NOW looks like the crypt keeper. The so called full sized model is gorgeous. She looks like a real woman.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,437,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Who cares what Cheryl Tiegs says? Seems a little bitter about something.
She seems a little drunk, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Look, heart disease is and has been for years now the number one killer of Americans - above cancer. It is directly linked with weight. People need to wake up, because they are dying - a LOT of them.
Guess what - skinny or fat, we are ALL going to die. Not just a lot - ALL of us. Not all at once, but everyone alive on earth right this minute will be dead. Some in the next few minutes, some not for a long time. But eventually......dead.
I refuse to eat twigs and grass so I can live a couple of years longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness