Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:52 PM

876 posts, read 1,002,558 times

Advertisements

So I started working out 2 months ago and have been on body building forums [Mod cut - we are not bashing other forums] for some time now asking for advice, since I heard that forum is the single most popular bodybuilding forum. While I do think there are some pretty cool people there giving useful advice I am amazed by the sheer level of manchildren and try-hard douches that can be found on there. It's like every other person is trying way too hard to act like that alpha male your typical 16 year old dreams of being, except we are talking about people in their 20's, 30',s or even 40's!

To give a great example, after my first thread where I showed people the gains I had made (which I admit wasn't much since I had not been working out for that long, but I still felt like asking people for their opinions) some dude said he saw no difference and suggested I throw out my whole program (because squats, bench and all those classic exercises are so terrible right?). I said that was nonsensical and thought nothing of his comment. But then shorty later I suddenly started getting nasty PM's from him for basically no reason:

But it gets better. After checking out his profile it turned out he is some obese dude in his 40's who looks like 10x worse than me!

Are you serious?

Something like half the people on the forums are like this. Are all fitness forums as bad as the one on body building [Mod cut] or is that one merely the worst? Do you have similar experiences with that place?

Last edited by elnina; 03-01-2016 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,692,207 times
Dude.....youre talking about a forum where the average person is an age 18-25 male. Of course you'll get plenty of sarcasm and downright trolling. If youre going there looking for positive reinforcement, you'll also get a pretty good share of criticism too, whether it is warranted or not. Its like a giant locker room environment. People range from very supportive to downright hostile.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
you'll also get a pretty good share of criticism too
Except that this wasn't criticism. It was just blatant trolling.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,692,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Except that this wasn't criticism. It was just blatant trolling.
Well that is what youre going to get sometimes.Its just the way it goes. Cant take it personally.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:16 PM

7,460 posts, read 4,703,255 times
Maybe both times they can't see the pic you posted and hence, there is no change. Like the one you posted above.

Seriously, there is not much change one can get in 2 months. Try 6 months.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,373,382 times
Quote:
So I started working out 2 months ago and have been on body building forums [Mod cut - we are not bashing other forums] for some time now asking for advice, since I heard that forum is the single most popular bodybuilding forum. While I do think there are some pretty cool people there giving useful advice I am amazed by the sheer level of manchildren and try-hard douches that can be found on there. It's like every other person is trying way too hard to act like that alpha male your typical 16 year old dreams of being, except we are talking about people in their 20's, 30',s or even 40's!

To give a great example, after my first thread where I showed people the gains I had made (which I admit wasn't much since I had not been working out for that long, but I still felt like asking people for their opinions) some dude said he saw no difference and suggested I throw out my whole program (because squats, bench and all those classic exercises are so terrible right?). I said that was nonsensical and thought nothing of his comment. But then shorty later I suddenly started getting nasty PM's from him for basically no reason:

But it gets better. After checking out his profile it turned out he is some obese dude in his 40's who looks like 10x worse than me!

Are you serious?

Something like half the people on the forums are like this. Are all fitness forums as bad as the one on body building [Mod cut] or is that one merely the worst? Do you have similar experiences with that place?
I've never joined BB.com but I've read some posts in the past when a Google search brings them up in the results. I got pretty much the same impression you did and tend to avoid it now.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:17 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,795 times
Maybe because I'm a female I experienced more supportive responses there.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:47 AM

9,424 posts, read 8,398,112 times
I used to frequent those boards and it is filled with sarcasm, trolling and bad information. I found that the "Over 40" forum was far less childish and had many folks genuinely interested in helping others out. Try that if you're looking for good information.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Maybe because I'm a female I experienced more supportive responses there.
How does that make it a bad forum?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,795 times
Quote:
How does that make it a bad forum?
I don't think it is a bad forum from my personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness