Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM

221 posts, read 318,262 times

Advertisements

I belong to a gym. I occasionally take advantage of their group fitness classes but I mostly just do my own thing. I typically look up short, 4 week "training plans" just so I have some direction with planning weekly workouts. I also try to do some cardio with each workout.

While I've lost a little weight over the last year, I still feel like I'm not at my BEST, most fit self that I could be. I also have not seen any progress for a long time, more just maintaining my current health. While this is good, I'd like to improve a bit more, lose a few more pounds, tighten and tone a bit more. I could probably clean up my diet a little, though I don't eat terribly I could probably eat a little better.

I've thought of trying a personal trainer. Is it worth trying? Those of you that have used a trainer, did you see results that you wanted? Was it worth the price? Would you recommend it to someone in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 PM

17 posts, read 28,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
I belong to a gym. I occasionally take advantage of their group fitness classes but I mostly just do my own thing. I typically look up short, 4 week "training plans" just so I have some direction with planning weekly workouts. I also try to do some cardio with each workout.

While I've lost a little weight over the last year, I still feel like I'm not at my BEST, most fit self that I could be. I also have not seen any progress for a long time, more just maintaining my current health. While this is good, I'd like to improve a bit more, lose a few more pounds, tighten and tone a bit more. I could probably clean up my diet a little, though I don't eat terribly I could probably eat a little better.

I've thought of trying a personal trainer. Is it worth trying? Those of you that have used a trainer, did you see results that you wanted? Was it worth the price? Would you recommend it to someone in my situation?
I think...first you should more actively be in the group fitness activities. And It helps a lot. Also, it's a good refreshment!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:14 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
In the gym I go to there are quite a few trainers and I know them. I also see the people who work with them. There is no magic. They stand next to the equipment and say, "Do 12 reps of this". they ask if the weight is heavy or light and adjust it and then repeat.

The only major benefit I have noticed is the commitment. If you know someone is waiting for you at 6 PM, then you will show up and then you are forced to do whatever time it was decided on. The classes could serve the same purpose, esp if you get to make a few friends and that way the commitment to go to class is higher. I have observed this in my wife and her group. They tend to keep each other accountable for showing up.

There are a ton of workout programs and videos online, so I think knowing what to do or how to do it should not be that complicated nowadays.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:43 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I'm not a big fan of personal trainers because the ones I see are typically very young, don't have a ton of knowledge and as the poster above has seen, they simply stand next to machines and count to 10 while you're working out.

Having said that, I know a few excellent personal trainers who are very motivating and knowledgeable and have had loyal clients for many years.

If you're going to try one, ask around first for references to see what others think of them. It's just like any profession, there are some really good ones and some really awful ones.

I find it's much better to educate yourself and find that inner motivation on your own. If you rely on someone else for that you'll likely always be dependent upon someone else, which imho is a sign of weakness. With the internet nowadays there is unlimited free content to help educate yourself on diet and exercise.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Over the years I have used a few trainers. Some are better than others so do your research. I am currently using one at my gym who is the best I have had. I watched him though for a few months before I made my decision to use him. In fact I had no desire to hire a trainer until I saw him work with other people. He has gotten me to a new level of fitness and strength through stuff I would not have done on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness