Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times

Advertisements

Most of those guys don't walk around like that. Photos are often done after a competition, when BB'ers are in top shape and have just finished cutting. Also, photoshoots are done while pumped and oiled. And let's not forget the professional photographers doing the shoot and a little bit of photoshopping after the shoot.

Not saying that they are or are not using, but those pics are not necessarily that unrealistic in terms of results for someone who has been training seriously for years and under those same photoshoot parameters. Remember, you are looking at pictures, not actual people in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Google natural bodybuilders.

Understand the limits of the AVERAGE human body.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Most of those guys don't walk around like that. Photos are often done after a competition, when BB'ers are in top shape and have just finished cutting. Also, photoshoots are done while pumped and oiled. And let's not forget the professional photographers doing the shoot and a little bit of photoshopping after the shoot.

Not saying that they are or are not using, but those pics are not necessarily that unrealistic in terms of results for someone who has been training seriously for years and under those same photoshoot parameters. Remember, you are looking at pictures, not actual people in real life.
I'd have to agree. Now what is attainable for more people, vs the body building typeset, is an extremely lean, high muscle density. Boxers, mma, defensive backs and wide receivers... One can see them often at the 5 to 8% body composition. The 'bulk' may not be there. The strength is... And often every muscle in the body is extremely visible as well as high vascularity.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
The article referred to presents no evidence that any of the characters are using steroids or other "unnatural" techniques. Instead it is saying these guys are too big, too shredded, too anything to be "natural". Maybe some of the links in the article presents something different. I'm not saying they aren't "fake". I'm saying the article is pure conjecture.
The evidence is in the photos.

Body Builders NOT cycling steroids do not have breasts like the men in the photos.

My husband used to train with Ahnold on Venice Beach in the late 1970s and used to compete.

You can bet your a$$ they all do steroids. You think Sty Stallone looks the way he does because he has a good chef?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:29 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The evidence is in the photos.

Body Builders NOT cycling steroids do not have breasts like the men in the photos.

My husband used to train with Ahnold on Venice Beach in the late 1970s and used to compete.

You can bet your a$$ they all do steroids. You think Sty Stallone looks the way he does because he has a good chef?

Stallone has already been on record admitting he uses HGH.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I just want to say one more thing about steroids.

They aren't illegal if you have a prescription for them. Using steroids without a prescription is illegal.

Also, steroids don't get you that big. They cause your body to heal at a much faster rate because you build muscle by tearing it down.

There is literally zero recovery time with steroids as opposed to 2-3 days without them.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:49 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to say one more thing about steroids.

They aren't illegal if you have a prescription for them. Using steroids without a prescription is illegal.

Also, steroids don't get you that big. They cause your body to heal at a much faster rate because you build muscle by tearing it down.

There is literally zero recovery time with steroids as opposed to 2-3 days without them.
Anybody using steroids over hgh for recovery is living 20 years in the past.

They both work... Hgh just more effectively. And anabolic definitively builds tissue.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The unrealistic expectations arose when Joe Weider took over bodybuilding. And, pretty much, he really did just take over. He dominated publishing and competitions, etc.

One of the ways he made money (and a way many of the "powers" of the Bodybuilding World - most of them affiliated with organized crime - make money) was to sell "supplements". Supposedly, you could take the supplements, and these would help you "put on muscle".

The BB magazines, and the books, told us that with enough hard work, and by taking "supplements", you could pack on the muscle, and do just as well as the guys on steroids. 'Roids' were, supposedly, totally unnecessary.

Selling supplements is about like selling "miracle skin rejuvenators" - or Snake Oil. Those products won't do diddly for you. But they are high-profit products for those who sell them. And the best way to sell them was to show all these beautiful men on steroids, who SUPPOSEDLY got that way by taking "supplements", and doing the right exercises.

In reality, the beautiful men were taking steroids and Human Growth Hormone. And they were doing cocaine, in order to starve themselves down for competitions (along with life-threatening amounts of diuretics, in the hours before walking onstage).

But Weider and the others were not manufacturers of 'roids or HGH. So, those were not what they had to sell. Thus, they attributed the astonishing beauty of men like Mike Mentzer (https://www.bodybuilding-motivation....7_05-18-25.jpg) to "supplements" and "special workout programs", because that's what they COULD sell.

Basically, the insiders were doing one thing, while the Schnooks were being sold other things.

There are a few people who are naturally muscular. And there are a few men who have naturally high testosterone (generally, because they have huge 'nads). I'm married to one of the latter.

We met in Weightlifting 101. He was scrawny and hideous. He was 17, and a virgin. Neither of us expected to ever go out on a date. We accidentally found ourselves 'on a date', where we immediately took care of our virginities, and continued to carry on like wolverines, MANY times a day (sex is a HUGE testosterone-booster). We also lifted weights, studied nutrition (the REAL kind - based on real science), and took vitamins. My husband went into a late-onset growth spurt, and did gain a lot of muscle. He does about 75 minutes of lifting, and an hour of cardio, between five and seven days per week. He's 51, and still ripples with muscle.

But my husband does not look like Branch Warren. I'm not going to speculate on what it takes to look like Warren.

The hottest guys in your high school probably were on steroids. There is a network set up in every community, to get 'roids to the current crop of fuhbawl heroes. Occasionally, there is a bust. Usually, there isn't. It's been that way since the 70s - maybe even the late 60s.

'Roids were being used in Nazi Germany. A certain famous Austrian import, whose father was a Nazi, and who married the granddaughter of a rich American Nazi supporter, was using 'roids as a physique champion, back in his 'Vaterland', while still in high school. When he got to these shores, he was very nice to certain wealthy American men, who paid for the chemicals which made him even bigger.

On the other hand, I know somebody who hooked up with "The most enormous and powerful specimen I've ever seen." - a trucker, who barely exercised, and who had done nothing beyond being born Polish. This is a wealthy Mississippian who's 'dated' his way through the Colt Calendar and the Fox Calendar, as well as being a (natural) bodybuilder, himself. So, he's hard to impress. Same friend hooked-up with "the second biggest bodybuilder in Omaha", another 'roids-free marvel, who was also pure Polish. This one DID lift consistently.

But, in general, the biggest guys are 'on the juice'. I've overheard a pusher trying to sell my Personal Trainer on gonadotropins: "Man... dey wuz lak littuh grapes. Now, man, I looks lak uh Brahah Bull." (The spiel may have NOTHING to do with reality, and the offered 'gonadotropin' may be no more than saline solution.) That was seven years ago. I learned, later, that that particular Trainer had gotten hooked on METH, while using it to "get ripped" for a contest. I do not book sessions with him, anymore, when I'm in that city.

Most recently, Little Gloria overheard a phenomenally muscular & packin' male stripper, talking to a wunderkind homebuilder (who's about to be indicted on a whole host of fraud charges, and who's looking to replace one billionaire mentor/sugardaddy with a new one). The homebuilder is gorgeous. But he needs to get extra-gorgeous, if he's to find a new billionaire "mentor" (a good billionaire is hard to find). So, he was schmoozing the stripper, for "exercise tips" (a 'roids source he can trust). They talked 'chemicals' while I did three abs supersets (ten minutes), and were still talking 'chemicals', when I wandered off, to give myself a back massage on a big blue ball (good as a live masseur, IMHO). I hear a lot, being little, brown, female, and thus invisible.

There are drugs to counteract the 'nads shrinkage. There are drugs to counteract the 'gyno' your pecs will get from 'roids. The big guys are walking science experiments, and, like Mentzer, they tend to die young.

But smart people have realized that there is a great deal to gain from a fitness lifestyle. If you eat right, get enough rest, lift enough - with good technique, and avoid harmful substances, then you will definitely look vastly better than you would have, otherwise. You will be healthier, and you will be smarter.

You just won't look like Branch Warren.

To see what is actually possible without 'roids and HGH, take a look at Pre-WWII photos of muscle men.
While I typically find Gloria's posts to be a little hyperbolic and exaggerated, this one is pretty spot on.

I would also add that in my years of high school and college football, the guys with the most impressive physique weren't lean like you see in magazines. That isn't to say they were fat or fluffy, but they couldn't maintain the muscle mass and worry about striations in their chest muscles.

Also, progress for most comes very slow, unless they time it with really hitting the growth spurt that takes you from a boy to a man while lifting hard.

This guy copied the Rock's exercise routine and diet for a month, and only gained one pound. While he noticed differences, I doubt he became unrecognizable, and real visible progress would probably take years.

Here

Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
While I typically find Gloria's posts to be a little hyperbolic and exaggerated, this one is pretty spot on.

I would also add that in my years of high school and college football, the guys with the most impressive physique weren't lean like you see in magazines. That isn't to say they were fat or fluffy, but they couldn't maintain the muscle mass and worry about striations in their chest muscles.

Also, progress for most comes very slow, unless they time it with really hitting the growth spurt that takes you from a boy to a man while lifting hard.

This guy copied the Rock's exercise routine and diet for a month, and only gained one pound. While he noticed differences, I doubt he became unrecognizable, and real visible progress would probably take years.

Here
In 3 months the guy would start to look a lot better.

But, bottom line is that almost everyone you see shredded in a movie or on a magazine cover does or has done steroids or HGH or both. They are absolutely rampant in Hollywood...when some guy puts on 30Lbs of muscle in 3 months and no fat (Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Lautner, etc) you can be guaranteed they are using drugs.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Anybody using steroids over hgh for recovery is living 20 years in the past.

They both work... Hgh just more effectively. And anabolic definitively builds tissue.
But actual HGH is very hard to come by and expensive when you do find it. Counter fitting is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness