Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:43 PM

483 posts, read 624,814 times

Advertisements

There isn't anything sadder that seeing a fellow weight lifter that neglected to train his legs. I think it is a bit of laziness and a lot of ignorance. Training legs will benifit your whole physique. Squatting is the #1 exercise for leg development. I would give the leg press a close 2nd along with hack squats.

If you have back or knee issues squatting might be something to avoid or come back to when you're 100%.
But to say heavy squatting should be avoided is non sense. Your glutes, quads and hamstrings are some of your largest muscles. They need to be worked like a Clydesdale horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I've been squatting on and off throughout my life, but really started doing squats in earnest 5 years ago when I was 40 years old.

When I started out I was doing one squat workout a week, around 8-10 sets.

Then I started squatting more, and at one point was squatting 4 times per week.

When I squatted it was ass to grass, and at one 24 hour fitness gym, this old guy one night comes up to me and compliments me on going down so far on my squats. He said everyone else he sees only goes halfway down.

Anyways I overdid a squat workout 6 months ago. I did something called a German Volume Training, 10 sets of 10 reps at bodyweight. I've done them before with no issues but I think my mistake was going down way too fast and being reckless on my form, including going way past my toes. Few days later left knee hurted bad and was out of work for a week. I had MRI and X rays but no signs of tears. Doctor said my knees looked excellent overall, with plenty of space between the bones and no problems seen. Unfortunately my knee flared up again a month ago and this time I suspect a ligament tear (I haven't squatted since the original injury).

So doing heavy ass to grass squats isn't bad for your knees necessarily.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 AM

739 posts, read 843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
There isn't anything sadder that seeing a fellow weight lifter that neglected to train his legs. I think it is a bit of laziness and a lot of ignorance. Training legs will benifit your whole physique. Squatting is the #1 exercise for leg development. I would give the leg press a close 2nd along with hack squats.

If you have back or knee issues squatting might be something to avoid or come back to when you're 100%.
But to say heavy squatting should be avoided is non sense. Your glutes, quads and hamstrings are some of your largest muscles. They need to be worked like a Clydesdale horse.
Good points but here's my problem. I have insomnia. I'll wake up after 3 hours and then only be able to sleep on and off the rest of the night. Or I'll sleep 4 hours and not be able to get back to sleep. I started keeping a log, and even though this is not the only cause, I always have trouble sleeping for several nights after doing leg exercises (squat, deadlift, etc). I'm not sure why this is so. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. There have been times that I'd have leg spasms after waking so perhaps that has something to do with it. Haven't been able to figure this out yet. But if anyone has experienced this or have any ideas, they would be welcome.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
Are you doing a lot of other training/exercise? Poor sleep is a symptom of over-training.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Are you doing a lot of other training/exercise? Poor sleep is a symptom of over-training.

2-3 days per week weights (split routine), 2-3 days cardio. There are plenty of people who do a lot more.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Good points but here's my problem. I have insomnia. I'll wake up after 3 hours and then only be able to sleep on and off the rest of the night. Or I'll sleep 4 hours and not be able to get back to sleep. I started keeping a log, and even though this is not the only cause, I always have trouble sleeping for several nights after doing leg exercises (squat, deadlift, etc). I'm not sure why this is so. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. There have been times that I'd have leg spasms after waking so perhaps that has something to do with it. Haven't been able to figure this out yet. But if anyone has experienced this or have any ideas, they would be welcome.
I started having sleep issues in my mid 40's, go see a sleep doctor do a sleep study. You might have sleep apnea, nothing to do with your workouts.
I use a Cpap, never felt better, but it took awhile to get used to the mask. If I get 5 to 6 good hours sleep during the week I feel great, 6 to 7 hrs on the weekends.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I've been squatting on and off throughout my life, but really started doing squats in earnest 5 years ago when I was 40 years old.

When I started out I was doing one squat workout a week, around 8-10 sets.

Then I started squatting more, and at one point was squatting 4 times per week.

When I squatted it was ass to grass, and at one 24 hour fitness gym, this old guy one night comes up to me and compliments me on going down so far on my squats. He said everyone else he sees only goes halfway down.

Anyways I overdid a squat workout 6 months ago. I did something called a German Volume Training, 10 sets of 10 reps at bodyweight. I've done them before with no issues but I think my mistake was going down way too fast and being reckless on my form, including going way past my toes. Few days later left knee hurted bad and was out of work for a week. I had MRI and X rays but no signs of tears. Doctor said my knees looked excellent overall, with plenty of space between the bones and no problems seen. Unfortunately my knee flared up again a month ago and this time I suspect a ligament tear (I haven't squatted since the original injury).

So doing heavy ass to grass squats isn't bad for your knees necessarily.
Take a look at prolotherapy. It is incredibly effective for knees, especially if it's ligament related. Unfortunately, despite numerous evidence of it's effectiveness for restoring knee health in particular, the procedure is still considered experimental, so your insurance will not cover it.

It is well worth it though. Other than that, take care of yourself. There is a method called "Easy Strength" where an individual works an exercise 5 times a week, but care is made to ensure that only two or maybe three sets at most are done, and the lifts are submaximal. It's a very effective training system that can be done almost everyday, if that is what you desire.

Good luck and Gold bless. Hope your knee heals 100%.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I started having sleep issues in my mid 40's, go see a sleep doctor do a sleep study. You might have sleep apnea, nothing to do with your workouts.
I use a Cpap, never felt better, but it took awhile to get used to the mask. If I get 5 to 6 good hours sleep during the week I feel great, 6 to 7 hrs on the weekends.

I had this done twice. First time I went in and couldn't get to sleep the entire night. It was a waste. The second time, I doctor sent this kit home with me. Didn't sleep very good but he didn't see any signs of apnea. It's weird, I'll sleep good for a few days in a row then sleep poorly for several days. It seems to go in cycles. For example, I slept pretty good 6 to 6 1/2 hours for three days straight and 5 out of the last 6 days. Then suddenly the last two nights I only sleep 4 1/2 hours. I can't seem to find a pattern. When I go on vacation, I sleep poorly for the first night and then sleep 7 hours (which I never do at home) most of the other nights whether I am gone for a few days or weeks. My eating habits are more relaxed and I eat more junk food....but I sleep better. Strange.

I've tried all the suggestions (not using computer at night, changing eating habits, etc). Docs only want to prescribe meds.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Take a look at prolotherapy. It is incredibly effective for knees, especially if it's ligament related. Unfortunately, despite numerous evidence of it's effectiveness for restoring knee health in particular, the procedure is still considered experimental, so your insurance will not cover it.

It is well worth it though. Other than that, take care of yourself. There is a method called "Easy Strength" where an individual works an exercise 5 times a week, but care is made to ensure that only two or maybe three sets at most are done, and the lifts are submaximal. It's a very effective training system that can be done almost everyday, if that is what you desire.

Good luck and Gold bless. Hope your knee heals 100%.
Thank you for the kind words.

I actually did have a PRP shot done a few weeks ago since the pain didn't seem to be going away. You are correct in that insurance doesn't cover it, and I had to pay out of pocket but I was desperate for relief.

A few hours after I got the shot my knee was in pure agony, it felt like it was on fire. Only after about 5 hours did the pain go away, and I couldn't put weight on it for a few days after. It started flaring up again after a week which I was told is normal. I started doing some physical therapy also but it hurt so much, and I couldn't walk for a few days again.

My knee is still painful at the same area and I can't bend it at all. So hard to say whether the shot did anything, sometimes it takes a while I heard. I also put on some extra tight knee supports at work the past two days and that might have contributed to the pain.

Anyways I am going to an ortho doctor in a few weeks to get a MRI and see if something is wrong.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

I actually did have a PRP shot done a few weeks ago since the pain didn't seem to be going away. You are correct in that insurance doesn't cover it, and I had to pay out of pocket but I was desperate for relief.

A few hours after I got the shot my knee was in pure agony, it felt like it was on fire. Only after about 5 hours did the pain go away, and I couldn't put weight on it for a few days after. It started flaring up again after a week which I was told is normal. I started doing some physical therapy also but it hurt so much, and I couldn't walk for a few days again.

My knee is still painful at the same area and I can't bend it at all. So hard to say whether the shot did anything, sometimes it takes a while I heard. I also put on some extra tight knee supports at work the past two days and that might have contributed to the pain.

Anyways I am going to an ortho doctor in a few weeks to get a MRI and see if something is wrong.
The way prolotherapy works is it causes inflammation, so what you were feeling is perfectly normal; however, I find it to be a bit disconcerting that you were only given a single shot. Typically, a doctor that is well schooled in the Hemwall-Hackett methodology will administer a comprehensive approach to ensure that they hit the right areas.

You are correct that the procedure does take time, sometimes even months for it to fully heal, but in my own experience, my knee was able to heal after two comprehensive procedures. Not all prolotherapists are created equal. Depending on where you live, I can potentially recommend someone. If you're not in my area, your best bet would be to use the site "getprolo.com." Just ensure that you select a doctor that has been practicing for years and has some literature and appears to be competent.

You may have a baker's cyst. A coworker of mine was recently diagnosed with a baker's cyst and he wasn't able to bend his knee either. If they do say there is a tear, reconsider prolotherapy before surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness