Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 PM

480 posts, read 623,191 times

Advertisements

I hate to seem anti social but I prefer to keep talk to a minimum at my gym, usually just "hello".

I often see people standing around for 10 to 15 minutes between sets. I like to keep my heart rate up so I prefer to just focus on my workout.

It seems like anyone else who is serious about their training is the same. I appreciate them and see some of them often, but don't talk to them. Just a nod will do!

Does too much talking annoy you?

Cell phones don't belong in the gym either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Headphones on, constant motion, pre-set your gym route... Only time people can talk is upon entry or exit.

I've had people try to start conversation during hanging windshield wipers and weighted box jumps. Annoy? No. Many just want to ask 'why'. But I agree about the heart rate.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Headphones and no eye contact. I swear, the guys sit and talk more than they work out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2016, 05:28 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
For many people the gym is their only social interactions for the day so I try to at least make small talk with someone if they approach me. But there is a certain element who spends 80% of their time talking, 20% working out and those are the ones you really have to avoid. My best approach is to wear my headphones and ask them to repeat themselves a few times, most will either get the hint or give up in frustration. There have been times where I've had to just interrupt them and say "Well, gotta keep going or I'm going to stiffen up" just to get away.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
The people who are talking too much are the people who are talking to me when I don't want to have a conversation. But when I'm talking to you then you should listen!

We're social animals. It's just part of being human. Just mumble "excuse me" and start the next.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:37 AM

857 posts, read 843,628 times
That's one of the problem with traditional gyms. Quite a few folks just mill around, barely get their heart rate up, yack on a phone/text, wear jewelry, stare in the mirror. Doing stuff like that, might as well stay home and watch the couch.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
There are two things I've seen at the gym that pisses me off to no end. The first is the guy who will go and get everything setup on the weight bench to start bench pressing, and then sit there for at least 10 minutes shuffling through his phone trying to find the song he wants to workout with. No lie, by the time this dude finally got around to lifting, I had already completed three or four sets of whatever it was I was doing at the time, and on to the next exercise. Luckily, it wasn't chest night for me!

The other thing that is a huge pet peeve of mine is another guy who comes in with his cell phone in a cell phone holder strapped to his belt. Most of the time, he comes in wearing jeans, which I always felt was not good for the weight machines and the benches, because jeans, coupled with belts and cell phone holders, can rip the material on the benches. Anyway, this guy averages at least one or two phone calls every time he's in the gym, and instead of walking outside or standing off to the side to have his phone conversation, he'll hog the bench and sit there talking on his phone. I even got a chuckle out of this guy the other day. I was working out on Sunday afternoon, and this guy comes in, actually wearing workout shorts, but still has his cellphone holder clipped to his workout shorts, LOL!!!! I'm sorry, but if you need to be glued to your phone that much, maybe just put together a home gym and not use a public gym. It's rude for everyone else, especially in a small gym where you don't have multiple weight benches.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I hate to seem anti social but I prefer to keep talk to a minimum at my gym, usually just "hello".

I often see people standing around for 10 to 15 minutes between sets. I like to keep my heart rate up so I prefer to just focus on my workout.

It seems like anyone else who is serious about their training is the same. I appreciate them and see some of them often, but don't talk to them. Just a nod will do!

Does too much talking annoy you?

Cell phones don't belong in the gym either!
How can you notice other people and what they do in 10-15min if you are so busy keeping your heart rate up?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 AM

857 posts, read 843,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
How can you notice other people and what they do in 10-15min if you are so busy keeping your heart rate up?
Errr, basic situational awareness?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Errr, basic situational awareness?
Get real and visualize the situation. Maintain other people under observation for 10-15min at still keeping your heart rate at a high level when using weights? Not realistic. Unless OP's idea of high heartrate is not what I call high heart rate level. And yours as well.

Maybe you and him are creeping at other people from your exercise equipment but well that is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness