Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

When I was doing it fully few years ago I was doing 16:8, eating from noon to 8.

Definitely takes getting used to at first since you get hangry and tired. But your body adjusts.

Now I do periodic fasting through the week depending on how I feel. Past month I've been eating only once a day most days, dinner.

I don't know about benefits for me personally besides helping me lose weight.

I did read thought that IF can damage heart muscle so not sure how it'll affect me long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I *sort of* IF.

Many times I don't eat breakfast, which means I have a small snack at around 8PM (for whatever reason, I always want a little bite then) but then don't begin eating again until 12PM or so the next day. So that's "fasting" for 16 hours/day, and distribute my food for a period of 8 hours/day - with the bulk within a 5-hour window and then just that small snack later.

I tried eating breakfast for years, believing all the common wisdom about how important it is. I consistently felt sluggish and ick-oid, and very hungry, even if it was a low carb/high protein breakfast.

So now if I do eat breakfast it's about 100 calories...a yogurt or something...but other times I'll skip it altogether.

I do it because this is what makes my body happy and keeps me functioning well. I have done this naturally since the 70s and only heard of IF as of a few years ago.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
How does your morning cup of coffee fit into this? I usually have two large cups with half and half or dairy dust with about a quarter teaspoon of inulin fiber instead of sugar.
I believe the threshold I've seen is something around 25-35 calories where that or below isn't enough to take you out of the "fasted" state. Enough for a little cream or whatever.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I tried it for a while where you eat your first meal later in the day, but just couldn't seem to adapt. It's so much easier to just eat a light, early dinner and then fast until breakfast the next morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness