Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I want to start off by saying that this thread is kind of a mixture of a vent thread and a desire to discuss this with those who share my sentiment so for those of you who dislike vent sessions please forgive me and disregard my thread. I do not want to make my initial post too long so here it goes. I am quite frustrated right now. I have been dealing with a shoulder injury for 11 years and it is getting to me because I am an avid trainer and love to push as hard as possible and this damn shoulder is really making things difficult. Having surgery would really hurt me financially and that is another problem. It will have to happen sooner or later but I just hate my situaton. I have had cortisone injections and they help some but the problem never really goes away. Anyway if there is anyone around here who is just as frustrated as I am and want to share your thoughts please bring it on I am all ears. Once again sorry about the vent and thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Hey man, most people who've been training for a long period of time have been injured at one time or another. You got to realize though that as you get older, you need to modify your training habits. Work smarter, not harder. It's a difficult lesson to learn, especially for people who are used to pushing themselves to their limits.

From an endurance perspective there is emerging research that supports some of this, stating that allowing your body to go in consistent states of gycolysis can damage your mitochondria and cause these chronic injuries. It has been said that an athlete should attempt to train only in the alactic and aerobic thresholds for best results. I haven't read much regarding strength training in particular except that submaximal and even dynamic lifting may be a safer way to train over the long term.

With that said, really look into prolotherapy, but ensure that it's a prolotherapist who uses a comprehensive approach, specifically Hemwall-Hackett. Keep in mind; however, that your shoulder may not heal in one session. It may take a few, and it can be costly depending on who you go to see.

Other than that, are you still doing military style presses? Honestly, to work around it, but to keep your shoulder strength and stability, research Turkish Get Ups, which also have the secondary or even primary effect of stabilizing and strengthening your entire body. It also improves balance.

I also heard that windmills are great for restoring shoulders, but I haven't tried them before. But unfortunately, I don't think your shoulder will heal without some sort of intervention. The only other thing I can think of is fasting, perhaps. I know of a friend who fasted for 10 days and claimed it healed an old shoulder injury he had been nursing for years. I haven't had the discipline to try it yet. Perhaps that could work.

Visit getprolo.com to find a competent prolotherapist, but expect to pay up to $500 per procedure.

Last edited by Jobster; 06-04-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 11:01 PM

This guy seems like he might know his stuff. I would contact him. He's an athlete too, so he understands where you're coming from.

He's in Virginia.

David C. Wang, D.O. - The Kaplan Center

Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
I have the same issues only mine is that im a long distance outdoor runner for 18 years....I have had hip, back knee and feet issues.....last august I fractured my 4th and 5th metatarsal....im back running but still cant get that pain to completely disappear...im on pain meds and icing every day...thank god I didn't have to have surgery I hear that surgery sometimes can make you worse off ... personally I guess I just had to learn to live with the achy joints...that's the price we have to pay for the constant wear and tear we put on our bodies. But you get so addicted that you cant stop or don't want to stop no matter how bad it hurts...if your pain debilitates you so bad that you cant even do your normal workout or function than that's when it becomes a major problem.....hope things get better for you

Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I have the same issues only mine is that im a long distance outdoor runner for 18 years....I have had hip, back knee and feet issues.....last august I fractured my 4th and 5th metatarsal....im back running but still cant get that pain to completely disappear...im on pain meds and icing every day...thank god I didn't have to have surgery I hear that surgery sometimes can make you worse off ... personally I guess I just had to learn to live with the achy joints...that's the price we have to pay for the constant wear and tear we put on our bodies. But you get so addicted that you cant stop or don't want to stop no matter how bad it hurts...if your pain debilitates you so bad that you cant even do your normal workout or function than that's when it becomes a major problem.....hope things get better for you
Reen, are you familiar with the Maffetone method at all? The basis of it is keeping his athletes under the anaerobic threshold, so you don't enter into glycolysis.

Also, do you strength train at all? If not, have you considered it? Something as simple as deadlifting and floor pressing a few times a week for a few sets each session can make a tremendous difference in how you feel.

Kettlebells are also a great way to give yourself tremendous conditioning with minimal impact. If you use the right programming and build up to heavy enough weight, you'll also find that your athleticism will increase as well, as you'll be more explosive, more resilient, and more balanced.

A lot of research today indicates that strength is ultimately the cornerstone to health. Obviously, you can go overboard with strength if you concentrate solely on it, neglecting mobility and conditioning, but at the end of the day, it strengthens your joints and ligaments, protecting you against impact.

I am wary of the barbell back squat though, which seems to be the most widely promoted lift on this board. I think the hex-bar deadlift is a much safer alternative that offers additional benefits; however, the squatting motion should still be maintained. Goblet squats are great for that.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 11,091 times
I have injuries that hinder my workouts.
I have a torn meniscus, as well as a Baker's cyst with the rt. knee. On the left shoulder I have a permanently dislocated sc joint.
Add to that a few other issues that I won't post about......
It's a battle to stay healthy & in decent shape.
A friend of mine, a military guy who's always been into hard core working out had to
finally do what he dreaded-
he had surgery to repair his shoulder.
He had a very tough recovery & never went back to working out like he had been previously.
One more example: met a dude recently who had actually just had neck surgery. The reason?
He was doing crossfit & popped discs out of his neck. Surgery was his only option & he's never going to do crossfit again, he told me.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 PM

421 posts, read 423,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEx View Post
I have injuries that hinder my workouts.
I have a torn meniscus, as well as a Baker's cyst with the rt. knee. On the left shoulder I have a permanently dislocated sc joint.
Add to that a few other issues that I won't post about......
It's a battle to stay healthy & in decent shape.
A friend of mine, a military guy who's always been into hard core working out had to
finally do what he dreaded-
he had surgery to repair his shoulder.
He had a very tough recovery & never went back to working out like he had been previously.
One more example: met a dude recently who had actually just had neck surgery. The reason?
He was doing crossfit & popped discs out of his neck. Surgery was his only option & he's never going to do crossfit again, he told me.
too sad story...we all need to be careful when doing work out....

Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Thanks to everyone who has contibued so far. You have posted some realy good information. I would like to add a little more details about my situation. I am not sure exactly when my injury began but I remember that somewhere in the early 2000's my shoulder felt a little funny when I moved my arm in certain ways but there was no pain at all then one day in 2005 I was doing seated shoulder press with 65lbs dumbells which I had never done before and at the time that was a pretty heavy weight for me and on my way up on one of the reps my shoulder was not properly alinged and I felt a sharp pain and that is when it all started

Old 06-05-2016, 07:12 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
hmm I have never heard of maffetone method......I do alot of strength training but because of all my joint issues I cant really squat to low or lift to heavy......so im kind of limited..i just try to do enough to keep my body toned.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Reen, are you familiar with the Maffetone method at all? The basis of it is keeping his athletes under the anaerobic threshold, so you don't enter into glycolysis.

Also, do you strength train at all? If not, have you considered it? Something as simple as deadlifting and floor pressing a few times a week for a few sets each session can make a tremendous difference in how you feel.

Kettlebells are also a great way to give yourself tremendous conditioning with minimal impact. If you use the right programming and build up to heavy enough weight, you'll also find that your athleticism will increase as well, as you'll be more explosive, more resilient, and more balanced.

A lot of research today indicates that strength is ultimately the cornerstone to health. Obviously, you can go overboard with strength if you concentrate solely on it, neglecting mobility and conditioning, but at the end of the day, it strengthens your joints and ligaments, protecting you against impact.

I am wary of the barbell back squat though, which seems to be the most widely promoted lift on this board. I think the hex-bar deadlift is a much safer alternative that offers additional benefits; however, the squatting motion should still be maintained. Goblet squats are great for that.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Wow! First of all I'm sorry to those of you who have these injuries, but it's encouraging to hear that you find a way! When I first clicked in this thread I thought I could contribute but my injury is petty minor as well as temporary in comparison to others in this thread. It's a tendon injury that has kept me from running for the past two months. But non impact such as using a bike, elliptical, or swimming have replaced running for me while I heal.

I just want to wish you all the best and I hope, if it's possible, you injuries improve or you find a way to do the exercises you enjoy without pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness