Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked so many times before, but I can't squat. I have moderate to severe OA and I get terrible pain and cracking noises when I squat. Lunges (and even then, very slowly and at moderate reps) is about all that I can handle. I've taken to using the plate loaded leg press (no pain) and I wonder if that's a decent enough substitute. I need to "balance things out" when it comes to my body. My upper half is responding well strength and size wise but my legs (except for my calves) are largely undefined. Stairclimbers, despite their claims, do bumpkus. As some of you know, i lost a lot of weight and my legs sorta look like those of someone who lost weight and not firm. I'd like get strong as well, but I know, it's not the same as squatting and that's fine. it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Leg curls will give definition to the hamstrings.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Hamstrings are knee flexors and pelvis stabilizers. Quadriceps is leg extensor. Those are the so called antagonists and hamstrings do not do much during leg presses. That is gluteus maximus>quadriceps>triceps surae job.
Mof, I do not even understand, why we have bulk of hamstrings as they literally do so little work walking or standing or running, that bulk and size of the muscle group is a total overkill for the job.
Like Ruth said - knee curles and dead lifts with knees kept straight do hamstrings.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Let me add something. With OA, you don't really want to do formal dead lifts standing. Better off, do them sitting on the horizontal row machine bench, knees locked. That's what I use for dead lifts. Much less strain on the lower back.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Leg press focuses mostly on quads, but it's a great exercise.

Can you do romanian deadlifts? If not then high volume leg curls and/or glute-ham raises for your hamstrings (you can add weight to these).

As long as you use the principles of progressive overload to get stronger in your legs, you will gain the definition you desire.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,180 times
The unfortunate truth is that you won't get any definition doing anything unless your diet is on point. 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Sorry for no response. Thank you. I don't deadlift for the same reasons as no squatting but I didn't know about other versions of the deadlift.

Mizzile, that's true but in this case it's not a fat issue more of an imbalance. Because of my limitations I've neglected my legs meanwhile my upper body is pretty defined. It just looks weird plus I want to be equally strong.

I admit that I've stopped bothering with the leg curl machine...nowadays I tend to do a lot of cable dumbbell and barbell work...but machines are probably a good bet for those with limitations like myself

Old 03-19-2018, 03:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
The unfortunate truth is that you won't get any definition doing anything unless your diet is on point. 80% diet, 20% exercise.
This is only true if you're carrying excess fat in this area. I can tell you that diet makes virtually no difference in the definition in my legs since I have no excess fat in my legs. Women may have a more difficult time getting definition in their legs since many have a tendency to carry excess fat in their legs.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:44 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Sorry for no response. Thank you. I don't deadlift for the same reasons as no squatting but I didn't know about other versions of the deadlift.

Mizzile, that's true but in this case it's not a fat issue more of an imbalance. Because of my limitations I've neglected my legs meanwhile my upper body is pretty defined. It just looks weird plus I want to be equally strong.

I admit that I've stopped bothering with the leg curl machine...nowadays I tend to do a lot of cable dumbbell and barbell work...but machines are probably a good bet for those with limitations like myself
Hmm, then you probably can't do a romanian deadlift either (it's a deadlift where you start from the top but you don't lower the weight all the way to the floor).

The leg press is an A+ exercise and is great because you can load weight on it and progress on it pretty much indefinitely, much like the squat and deadlift. If you ever get tired of it, switch to the hack squat machine, it has the same benefits. But to prevent quad-dominance (which I've read can lead to injuries), balance it out with high volume hamstring work. I'm not sure any exercise where you can move massive weight for the hamstrings, so instead I would just do high volume work like I said, 50-100 reps per workout, dividing it into however many sets you want. Good mornings, leg curls, and glute-ham raises are all great. Jim Wendler is a huge fan of them, and that's an opinion you can trust.

I would keep lunges and their variations in your workout because you get a nice trifecta of working quads, hams, and glutes, and single leg training is good for athleticism (now that I mention it, I should throw some in my workout!).

Old 03-26-2018, 01:54 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,218,705 times
If those two are your focus I would think leg extension and leg curls would be your best pair of exercises. Squats tend to be the mother exercise for all leg exercises but are better as free weight that machine exercise since the machines would cancel out any stabilization and also not have as continuous of a path. And someone mention Romanian dead lifts- those are pretty good across different groups as well but cannot be done from a machine. The good thing about both squats and Romanian deadlifts is that you can use dumbells or kettle weights instead of only barbells. That makes them easier for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness