Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:59 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
In my humble opinion, teetotalers who never treat themselves are completely missing out on what true fitness is all about. You're talking about doing things halfway, yet you're ignore mental, emotional, and spiritual fitness. Fitness isn't just about the body. It's as much about the mind. If you don't allow yourself pleasure in other areas, then you become a miserable person that nobody wants to be around.
Amen to balance. Limiting so-called "treats" to special occasions is likely healthier than snubbing those treats altogether.

I don't eat pizza on a regular basis, but if I go to New York, you can damn well bet that I'm going to have a slice or two. At Christmas, I'm going to enjoy a a few cookies. When I go out with friends, I'm going to have a beer or a glass of wine. I may gain a pound or two before I climb back on the wagon, but life's too short to sweat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
A cheat meal is a cheat meal whether if it's consumed once a week or on a special occasion. Doesn't matter if it's homemade, store bought, or drive thru. A cheat meal doesn't have to be a 5000 calorie meal. It could be a simple, small bowl of homemade ice cream. Point is, more people than not feel the need to treat themselves. Some have a glass of wine, others have a burger. In my humble opinion, teetotalers who never treat themselves are completely missing out on what true fitness is all about. You're talking about doing things halfway, yet you're ignore mental, emotional, and spiritual fitness. Fitness isn't just about the body. It's as much about the mind. If you don't allow yourself pleasure in other areas, then you become a miserable person that nobody wants to be around.

Personally, if you see me in Italy, I am not going to be eating rice cakes and drinking water. I'm going to be having pasta and drinking wine. I'm going to live the Italy life. Same with Mexico. I'm going to enjoy myself, make friends, and be the life of the party. And the next day, I'm going to workout, drink a lot of water, and budget my calorie intake.
This why I eat ALL organic, I don't have to cheat, I eat normal, I don't deny myself, I make my own pizza's, noodles, smoothie, ice cream,etc, etc... I live in a real world with real foods, yes it does require one to cook and bake...

Old 06-27-2016, 05:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
How often do you deploy a cheat meal ?

What is a cheat meal to you ?
What is your go to / favorite

To some this may not be considered by eating but I planned on eating healthy going out to dinner last night but was a little off . Had chili , 4-5 chicken wings and a grilled chicken sandwhich with avacado , some sweet patatoe fries one beer and one cocktail . Not completely terrible right ? It was also my meal after leg day so it helped . And I was clean for breakfast , snacks , lunch pre workout and immediate post
OP, honestly, that sounds like 2-3 "cheat meals"!!

For me the problem would be calling something a "cheat meal" -- because once I've "cheated," then I will likely start a binge. Not good.

If I get cravings for something specific -- like chocolate ice cream, or pizza, or whatever -- I will almost always eat THAT (and nothing or not much else). I used to try to ignore those really specific cravings, but what would happen is, I'd eat something ELSE and not be satisfied, so I'd eat another "something else" and of course STILL not be satisfied, and then I'd try a third thing and STILL not be satisfied, etc. For me, it makes more sense to eat whatever it is I'm craving. Really intense cravings for certain "bad" foods (I hate that use of "bad," actually, but I don't know how else to describe it here) don't come around too often, but as others have said, life is too short not to eat fun, really tasty food sometimes!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:30 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,669 times
lol at you people who think eating stuff like pizza is ok as long as you just do it "once in a while" (what does that even mean? How often is once in a while?). This stuff makes you fat no matter how rarely you think you are eating it. People don't understand how horrible some kinds of "food" are for them.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
lol at you people who think eating stuff like pizza is ok as long as you just do it "once in a while" (what does that even mean? How often is once in a while?). This stuff makes you fat no matter how rarely you think you are eating it. People don't understand how horrible some kinds of "food" are for them.
I have pizza maybe once ever two weeks but I make all from scratch, from the dough to my own sauce I canned or freshly make, I only use non GMO organics, I use healthy oils like organic coconut, whole non GMO organic whole wheat, I mill my own as well, sea salt, i only use non GMO cheeses as well, and we grow pretty much of all are veggies I use on the veggie pizza... So yes it's super healthy, because when you do it yourself you control what going into it and staying out ! ~ And yummy...Really

Here are pics from my FB page. One of my veggie pizza ...
Attached Thumbnails
Cheat meals-dscf0343.jpg   Cheat meals-dscf0345.jpg   Cheat meals-dscf0346.jpg   Cheat meals-dscf0347.jpg   Cheat meals-dscf0348.jpg  

Cheat meals-dscf0349.jpg   Cheat meals-dscf0350.jpg  

Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
How often do you deploy a cheat meal ?

What is a cheat meal to you ?
What is your go to / favorite

To some this may not be considered by eating but I planned on eating healthy going out to dinner last night but was a little off . Had chili , 4-5 chicken wings and a grilled chicken sandwhich with avacado , some sweet patatoe fries one beer and one cocktail . Not completely terrible right ? It was also my meal after leg day so it helped . And I was clean for breakfast , snacks , lunch pre workout and immediate post
Here is my post in the earlier "Cheat Meal" thread that was link posted by SuburbanGuy earlier in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/39326039-post6.html

Bottom line is, cheat meals are bad idea. Also as HawaiianCoconut said, once you start eating healthy, you have no desire at all for any cheat meals.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times
I do cheat days twice a week. I eat fairly well all the other days and it is hard. I realize I have food issues and I do well at controling them because of my cheat days. I don't even go overboard on my cheat days but get something I normally wouldn't ( like fast food. ) I also exercise regulary and the cheat day is my reward for this as well. It keeps me motivated. I have willpower and will not do cheat day if I didn't earn it. Is this right? Maybe not but it works for me. I also don't beat myself up if I am at a party or something and splurge as it doesn't happen often. When I didn't have a cheat day I felt deprived and would binge eat junk. So this is better and I am eating less junk on my cheat day than I used to years ago. I am a work in progress.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
I eat pizza and I am not fat.

Will you forgo cake at your wedding?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:

Luckily some of us who think that way use actual logic and a bit of math to determine how to treat ourselves without going overboard, rather than an extremist point of view that's absolutely wrong. For instance, let's say out of 64 meals, which equals about a month's worth of food, you have one meal that consists of two slices of pepperoni pizza. You're taking in, approximately, 640 calories. Let's say you have two beers with it. Just roughly, you're consuming about 900+ calories in that one meal. Sure, that's going to go over your daily intake if you're having your normal intake at breakfast and lunch. But chances are, at the end of the day, it's going to leave you around 300 calories and maybe about 20 grams of fat over your daily allowance. You're logic is, that 300 calories and extra 20 grams of fat is going to be too much over indulgence to counter with cutting back the day after or the day before, and maybe working in one extra workout in that month.

Let's even say those two slices of pizza and two beers are had once a week. OK, that's 900 extra calories and 80 extra grams of fat a month. Again, you don't think it is possible to cut back in one month to counter those extra calories? One pound equates to around, approximately, 3,555 calories, so it would take nearly four months worth of those extra calories to equate to one pound. So, roughly, 3 or 4 pounds gained in a year if you made no steps in working off those cheat meals. Assuming one is at their ideal weight and would become overweight with a 20 pound weight gain, then following this formula, it would take you about 5 years to gain 20 pounds. If one is the least bit fitness minded, they can easily have those extra calories and fat burned by working in at least one extra fat burning workout a month and cutting back a day or two elsewhere.

The long point of this is, a couple slices of pizza, even once a week, is not going to make you fat if you're, otherwise, strict with your diet and exercise. And if you don't burn off the extra fat and calories, but you're maintaining your normal diet, otherwise, and your normal activity level, otherwise, then it would take you a long time to become overweight, and even longer time to become obese. Chances are, you'll have burned up that extra consumption a lot easier than gaining the weight.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't really understand the concept of "cheat meal."
It's really quite simple. It provides psychological and physiological benefits to those who are dieting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness