Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Please cite those resources coming from peer reviewed journal publications showing the effectiveness of foam rollers in preventing injuries or increasing performance during training or competition.

Do you have a certification from either the ASCM or NSCA or at least an undergrad degree in exercise science? If not, you have no business working as a trainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Really?! Talk about lazy.

There are thousands. Please go away and stop trolling. I really don't have time for nonsense.

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...d_recovery.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post

You asked for a source and you got it (NSCA no less). We're done (and you're blocked now). As mentioned in the previous posts, I'm not into trolls (or feeding them). Feel free to get into a pissing contest with someone else (especially when so many sources are readily available that corroborate what I'm saying). I don't have the time or the patience for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Your original post:

Then you cite "thousands" of studies/articles/pieces of evidence to support your viewpoint for warm-ups:

To this, I replied that the quality of studies can run the gamut from poor to excellent, and that it takes a lot of time to appraise them critically.

I am really puzzled at your saying that I have a "comprehension issue". Please enlighten me.
I'm with you. First of all, if we're specifically talking about foam rolling it is a relatively new practice - less than a decade old. So there are certainly not "thousands" of studies that have been done (because we're not counting popular magazines, right?). So that's an exaggeration that the OP would certainly not have allowed another poster to get away with.

When I see something that is so contentious in the literature and has to be defined so specifically in order for the hypotheses to hold that tells me the concept is not a particularly robust one. So it only works under special circumstances or with particular people or when done in a very particular manner or has quite a small impact. Those kinds of things are not the things I'd go out of my way to spout off about. I might tell someone to consider doing it or consider doing something of a similar nature, etc. but I wouldn't bet my life that it would be a great benefit to 90% of people...because if it was, there would not be the need for thousands of studies with many differing outcomes. So if you have time and can do THAT without injuring yourself, by all means. But don't expect it to protect you from all injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm with you. First of all, if we're specifically talking about foam rolling
And are we Renee?

Old 07-03-2016, 10:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
One article vs a review of many.

Hm.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
One article vs a review of many.

Hm.
Another nice dodge and deflect...Hm

Old 07-04-2016, 04:07 AM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
OP - if you don't mind, please re-state what your contention is. I will do the same.

Here is mine: "The quality of studies varies widely, and runs from poor to excellent. It takes a lot of time and effort to appraise them critically."

Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
OP - if you don't mind, please re-state what your contention is. I will do the same.

Here is mine: "The quality of studies varies widely, and runs from poor to excellent. It takes a lot of time and effort to appraise them critically."
Better yet, let me re-state the original post in its entirety (since you seem to want to selectively edit out only parts that fit your narrative). And if you still can't figure it out, then I would say it's fair to say that you're certainly not very detailed oriented or possess any critical thinking ability....

I'm always amazed at how little time people put in on preparing their bodies for their workouts. I'm seen plenty of wacky and dangerous things over the years working at gyms. But I am constantly bewildered when I walk into the two gyms I work at and see so many muscle bound people that just walk in and can't wait to go into a routine, doing no warm up at all for their bodies (i.e. foam rolling, active stretches). And then they scratch their heads when they strain something.

Personally, I think someone with a 5th grade level of thinking could understand it.

You might want to do that with the rest of the thread also, and look at your responses. Admittedly, if you are indeed a physical therapist, I don't know of a doctor that would want to refer a patient out to someone that spends as little time reading and digesting comments as you do. I suspect they would be concerned about you just glancing over their notes on the surgery they just performed on a patient.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:01 AM

So your contention is that one should *always* warm up before exercising?

No need for snide comments, people judge us by how we write and come across.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
So your contention is that one should *always* warm up before exercising?

No need for snide comments, people judge us by how we write and come across.
Oh my. The man that comes into a thread with his arrogance and Holier than Thou comments, his Non Sequiturs, and faulty assumptions is upset with me because he couldn't take the time to read the thread and went into it half cocked.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:22 AM

hawaiiancoconut - "So, yes, anything really heavy, I will do some light stretches and or do a rep of lower weight."

lmw36 - "I warm up before I go to the gym"

riaelise - "I always do the cardio before I lift so that warms me up"

Mikala43 - "My warm up is my cardio"

Teckeeee - "I would do elliptical on minimal level for 5 minutes"

boxus - "Anyone with a proper lifting program will incorporate warm up sets into their routine"

iknowftbll - "I have a very deliberate warmup"

brocco - "I usually warm up at home before I go to the gym"

Seija - "If I don't warm up first, my joints and muscles just won't go!"

stan4 - "I also DO prefer getting my heart rate up and some sweat going BEFORE I lift"

Hmmm...sounds like there are a lot of people in this thread that believe in preparing their bodies for their workouts.

But apparently they're not very smart, eh 2nccoast?

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 07-04-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 07:45 AM

And the basis for your viewpoint (warm up before exercising) is ..? Personal belief? (I certainly respect that). Personal experience? Studies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness