Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I am 32 years old, male and I am 5'6 height and 115 lbs and 28w. I'm a very small guy.

With that said, I have had gym memberships over the years and end up not going to the gym 90% of the time. I never lasted more than 6-8 weeks max at a time. Then 9 months will go by, then I'll start the gym again for 6-8 weeks and quit. Sometimes I don't even last more than 3 weeks.

I work 8-5, go to bed at 10:30 and just feel like going to the gym takes up so much time of my evening, when I have other things to do like cook, grocery shopping and doing other hobbies. The time it takes to get dressed, drive to the gym, work out, drive back, change clothes, etc. is ridiculous and often reaches 1.5 hours, which is a lot on a work evening. So, the time commitment and lack of motivation to go to the gym after a long tiring day at work is real.

I also hate the gym environment. I tried my best to get used to it over the years, but I really just don't like it. I feel like working out should be a private activity. I feel like other people are looking at me (even though I know they're not, and they don't care) and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't stand waiting for others to finish using equipment that I want to use. And I can't stand interacting with other people while I'm at the gym and hearing them grunt, chat, etc. I just HATE the gym environment!

So with that all said, I was wondering if it's possible to achieve decent results at home, in my small apartment. I have a living room with a little corner for some basic equipment...maybe dumbbells, mats, etc. But that's about it. I'm thinking maybe it's possible to achieve a lot, since my body is already very small anyway.

A few years ago, I had a basement in my apartment with a weight bench, squat rack, dumbbells, etc. It was great, but even though, I ended up not using it 90% of the time. But I enjoyed the convenience, privacy and full access over my equipment anytime I wanted.

I already know that if I get a gym membership, I won't use it 90% of the time, because I hate going to the gym. I'm 32 years old and already know this, so don't try to get me motivated to go to the gym. I'm asking for an alternative solution so that I can still stay in shape.

Also...I have mild arthritis in my rear right pelvis (sacroiliac joint) and serious lower back problems (possibly a herniated disc), but I'm getting all that examined with my orthopedic doctor as we speak. So I can't do any heavy duty leg workouts or workouts that stress the spine and pelvis.

I mean, working out at home is better than not working out at all, right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:36 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am 32 years old, male and I am 5'6 height and 115 lbs and 28w. I'm a very small guy.

With that said, I have had gym memberships over the years and end up not going to the gym 90% of the time. I never lasted more than 6-8 weeks max at a time. Then 9 months will go by, then I'll start the gym again for 6-8 weeks and quit. Sometimes I don't even last more than 3 weeks.

I work 8-5, go to bed at 10:30 and just feel like going to the gym takes up so much time of my evening, when I have other things to do like cook, grocery shopping and doing other hobbies. The time it takes to get dressed, drive to the gym, work out, drive back, change clothes, etc. is ridiculous and often reaches 1.5 hours, which is a lot on a work evening. So, the time commitment and lack of motivation to go to the gym after a long tiring day at work is real.

I also hate the gym environment. I tried my best to get used to it over the years, but I really just don't like it. I feel like working out should be a private activity. I feel like other people are looking at me (even though I know they're not, and they don't care) and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't stand waiting for others to finish using equipment that I want to use. And I can't stand interacting with other people while I'm at the gym and hearing them grunt, chat, etc. I just HATE the gym environment!

So with that all said, I was wondering if it's possible to achieve decent results at home, in my small apartment. I have a living room with a little corner for some basic equipment...maybe dumbbells, mats, etc. But that's about it. I'm thinking maybe it's possible to achieve a lot, since my body is already very small anyway.

A few years ago, I had a basement in my apartment with a weight bench, squat rack, dumbbells, etc. It was great, but even though, I ended up not using it 90% of the time. But I enjoyed the convenience, privacy and full access over my equipment anytime I wanted.

I already know that if I get a gym membership, I won't use it 90% of the time, because I hate going to the gym. I'm 32 years old and already know this, so don't try to get me motivated to go to the gym. I'm asking for an alternative solution so that I can still stay in shape.

Also...I have mild arthritis in my rear right pelvis (sacroiliac joint) and serious lower back problems (possibly a herniated disc), but I'm getting all that examined with my orthopedic doctor as we speak. So I can't do any heavy duty leg workouts or workouts that stress the spine and pelvis.

I mean, working out at home is better than not working out at all, right?!
You can get a good workout at home with dumbbells. You might also consider getting one of those chinning bars that fit in your doorway so you can do pullups. Get a backpack and put weight in it so you can do weighted pushups assuming your lower back problems don't disallow doing them.

Here's a good video on getting a good dumbbell workout at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRr7aGPuLzw

Old 07-17-2016, 02:45 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
If you're really pushed for space, or want something that is easily portable, I'd recommend a low profile mini exercise bike!

It's basically a cut-down version of your typical exercise bike, but no handlebars or seat. Instead you can place this under your desk or in front of your favourite chair and cycle while you use your computer or watch TV!

Probably not as intensive as your typical exercise bike or cross-trainer, but the fact you're exercising at all is better than watching tv or being at your desk doing nothing.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Yes, working out at home is a great way to exercise; saves you lots of time, is always accessible and can be every bit as effective as long as you have a routine to follow and are consistent.

I would say 75% of my physical fitness comes from doing a DVD or streaming video every single day, it's like brushing your teeth or showering; you wouldn't leave home without doing it.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 8,556 times
Ofcourse, you can run, lift weights etc You can even hire a personal trainer for a home session to start then continue independtently

I am not sure what your goals are but loosing weight - eating clean, gluten free, organic etc generally the way you go. if your trying to bulk up and build muslce lots of protien such as eggs, meat etc

Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Yes it is

Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM

137 posts, read 109,646 times
Those home videos , the results are exaggerated . They aren't a scam. You just won't get the results they say you will in the time they say unless you were in shape in a previous time in your life .

I lost 45 pounds doing t25 but I went pretty much no carbs and cut calories and didn't follow their nutrition guide and I also have an active on my feet all day job plus did doubles most of the time and added 3-4 mile runs on top of the t25 lose that .

I plateaued and I don't have a 6 pack and chiseled chest and arms , I have flab and that is why I am now going to the gym to change that .

I miss the at home work outs for sure

Old 07-17-2016, 04:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Find a Planet Fitness near you and you will probably like the environment a lot more than you have at other gyms. You are too self conscious and this is likely ruining your gym experience.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You can get a good workout at home with dumbbells. You might also consider getting one of those chinning bars that fit in your doorway so you can do pullups. Get a backpack and put weight in it so you can do weighted pushups assuming your lower back problems don't disallow doing them.

Here's a good video on getting a good dumbbell workout at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRr7aGPuLzw
Great video, thanks!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Find a Planet Fitness near you and you will probably like the environment a lot more than you have at other gyms. You are too self conscious and this is likely ruining your gym experience.
I was formerly a member of Planet Fitness. I didn't like it at all. I still felt self conscious and uncomfortable working out in public, as well as the hassle of having to get dressed for the gym, drive there, drive back, etc. The whole thing is just a huge commitment. And I absolutely hate the gym environment -- any gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness