Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

What is your experience with these types of classes? Are they as "life changing" as they claim?

I'm not a fan of cardio. I'm contemplating OTF as a means of shaking things up, I guess. How is their strength training regimen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Never heard of "Orange theory". Can you provide a link or YouTube vid on this?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I haven't been in any of those classes, but it seems to be another offshoot of Tabata/HIIT training. I would assume these classes do work, because the name of the game is keeping your heart rate up for maximum caloric burn. I'm a huge fan of workouts like these, because you're not having to spend hours upon hours in the gym, you can get in a total body workout within 30-60 minutes. And believe me, I've been able to tell a difference since I've been doing HIIT.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 PM

9,401 posts, read 8,369,560 times
There is a huge % of the population who requires classes and external motivation in order to workout. For those people the Orangetheory-type class-only gyms work well. For those of us who don't want or need that, we'd never step foot inside a "gym" like that.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What is your experience with these types of classes? Are they as "life changing" as they claim?
They just opened a location two doors down from my kid's daycare. My only experience is that their clients walk right into (and attempt to walk through) the parking lot traffic without even looking.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
They just opened a location two doors down from my kid's daycare. My only experience is that their clients walk right into (and attempt to walk through) the parking lot traffic without even looking.
LOL like little kids would never do that.

OK, so OP you've gotten a couple of smug replies from folks who have never actually been to the place you inquired about.

I went to an OrangeTheory for about 6 weeks before I suffered an injury unrelated to the workout and had to stop. OT was AWESOME! The most life-changing thing about the workout for me was that after I had spent time "in the orange zone" during my workout, later in the afternoon I would feel energized during that time of day when I normally felt sluggish and would reach for coffee.

It really was a different kind of workout in that respect. I also did see some weight loss and strength gains. The cardio didn't seem as bothersome because of the interval nature of the workout and because you are focused on the screen that shows your progress. You wear a heart monitor, and there are TV monitors in the room that track your effort. You're concentrating on getting in the "orange zone," and so you don't notice that you're on a treadmill or rower, etc.

I highly recommend it.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
It's kind of a fad and is based on some exercise science that is outdated. They are basing their workouts on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC ). In the past, it was thought that EPOC had a significant impact on caloric expenditure. Turns out this is not really true.

As far as life changing, not really unless it causes someone to continue to exercise over a number of years, when they wouldn't have done so otherwise.

HIIT is great, but it should only be a PART of a well rounded fitness program. HIIT should be done once a base level of fitness is already established. There also need to be adequate recovery between training sessions.

Fad programs like this generally take a specific good part of exercise training and then hype it up with marketing and make it sound like it is a magic bullet.

The main problems with this program is the potential for injury by doing too much, too soon and overtraining by doing the same thing over and over without recovery training between.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 07-22-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 PM

HIIT is a science into itself, and most promoters and teachers of it have no idea of how to actually use it to get effective training results.

If you want to see that in action, ask a trainer or HIIT instructor how to manipulate work and and recovery intervals to train the different energy systems that HIIT is designed to train. Chances are, they won't even know about energy systems of the body in the first place.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I'm not a fan of cardio. I'm contemplating OTF as a means of shaking things up, I guess. How is their strength training regimen?
You can't be in the "Orange Zone" and get a whole lot in terms of strength benefits.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
orange theory is not 'HIIT'. Most 'HIIT' is not that either.

Why pay for what you can do on your own. Build an aerobic base. Then, thrice per week, run sprints. Do 10 50's, or 10 100's... with only rest as the walk back to the starting point. Want to change it up? Run reverse sprints (big challenge).

You'll burn more calories then the body knows what to do with. Just make sure you've got the legs so you don't pull the intermedialis or a hammie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness