Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times

Advertisements

Getting abs is not complicated; I went from slightly flabby to a six-pack in the course of 1 year--while in my 40s. All it took was regular aerobic exercise, reasonable eating habits, and a lot of bicycle crunches (eventually adding weight to those). I started by walking briskly with coworkers 3 days a week.

Then I started walking on a treadmill at a 15-degree incline and around 4 mph, for 15-20 minutes, 3 days a week. People forget that you burn more calories walking on an incline than jogging on a flat surface. If you do nothing else, I would do this. (I started at around 10 degrees and 3.5 mph and worked up to what I do now.)

The incline treadmill walking got me in shape enough to start running again; now I do 1-3 miles 3 days a week--doing a lot of sprints in between the jogging. I don't lift weights at all. I do paddle a sea kayak for fun and will do pushups and pullups every once in a while.

So I would just focus on walking fast enough or on a steep enough incline that your heart is racing and you can barely finish. Don't make it such a long duration that you'll dread it and stop doing it. Anyone can tolerate 15 minutes. If you do 15 minutes 3 days a week, you will see results! You will eventually lose excess fat, at which point all you'll need to do is strengthen the ab muscles via weighted crunches.

In the meantime, cut out sodas and fried food but let yourself splurge every once in a while. Focus on portion size rather than fat or calories.

And skip this nonsense about carbs; I eat TONS of carbs! A lot of pasta, wheat bread, cereal, etc. I try to buy the high-fiber stuff (except I can't stand whole-wheat pasta). What I don't eat is a lot of sugar--but a couple of times a week I'll eat a donut after my workout.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-04-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Carlington, I'm tired just reading that! You go! Sounds like you've figured it out!

Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Carlington, I'm tired just reading that! You go! Sounds like you've figured it out!
Thanks--and it's really not that hard! The key for me has been exercising strenuously but briefly several times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness