Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I already run but I have been looking for something else to do(low impact) that would be pretty much a whole body workout. I decided to try a rowing machine.

I did a lot of research on brands and prices. I eventually decided I need a Concept 2 or a Xebex but those are a LOT of money. After spending some time shopping for affordable used machines and finding nothing, I had to compromise. I ordered a cheap one on Amazon that was rated well and bought the warranty. It will arrive next week and I'm sure putting it together will be an adventure!

I figure the cheapie will give me enough time to find a used one I really want. And if it turns out I hate it, I haven't lost much money! And I won't have to hate myself too much for not using it!

Utube has a lot of videos and I watched some. I am looking for tips on how to start out. I like the idea of being able to watch TV or listen to music and zone out! Plus I think it would be great for summer when it is too hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
We have an entry level Concept2 and we love it.

"Tips on how to start out"? You mean like beginner's workouts or......?

Old 09-17-2016, 03:39 PM

How did you get started! Did you time your workouts? Once a day or more?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM

https://www.google.com/#q=rowing+workouts+for+beginners

Typically only one workout a day. Yes, I time my workouts - our Concept2 has a computer built in to the machine that you can configure workouts on. Does your rower have something like that?

Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Typically only one workout a day. Yes, I time my workouts - our Concept2 has a computer built in to the machine that you can configure workouts on. Does your rower have something like that?
Yes! And I have been running with the same playlist for years so I can time stuff with my ipod too.

I was thinking about starting with 10 minutes twice a day for a week or so just to get used to the 'new' motion. Probably with a low resistance setting. Hopefully that will give me enough information on my rowing abilities(or lack of ability) to know how to proceed.

I have been watching on utube. But most of those people are superbly conditioned athletes in their 20's and that's not me!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:54 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Last year, I too decided on a rowing machine as an all-around workout (strength & cardio) and settled for a cheapo one on Amazon that had good reviews.

At first, I got up and put in an ep of "The Twilight Zone" and used it (about 25 minutes). What I didn't realize how much that would lower my blood sugar so I ended up eating more. I found that it was just too much for me to begin with (haven't really exercised in a while) and realized that I should have started off slower. I also know that the best exercises are the ones that you are going to do. So, even doing a little bit is better than not doing any.

So, instead of doing almost a half hour, I figured I would trying a few reps. I started doing 100 reps in the morning and another 100 at night. That was working really well EXCEPT, I started getting big blistered on my hands from the bar. (Yeah, I have very soft hands). It was getting to the point that I just couldn't do it anymore. I even tried wearing gloves but even that didn't help. So, I stopped using it and it just collected dust.

Then my husband came up with a solution-those foam insulation thingies for pipes. He got some and cut it to size for the bars. The cushion really does help-HOWEVER, now the grips are wider (and I have small hands). It also slips a bit. (He only did this last week.) I have to figure out how to get this to work. Then I can start doing my reps again and maybe I will be able to work up to do more-and put on an ep again.

Cat

Old 09-18-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Last year, I too decided on a rowing machine as an all-around workout (strength & cardio) and settled for a cheapo one on Amazon that had good reviews.

At first, I got up and put in an ep of "The Twilight Zone" and used it (about 25 minutes). What I didn't realize how much that would lower my blood sugar so I ended up eating more. I found that it was just too much for me to begin with (haven't really exercised in a while) and realized that I should have started off slower. I also know that the best exercises are the ones that you are going to do. So, even doing a little bit is better than not doing any.

So, instead of doing almost a half hour, I figured I would trying a few reps. I started doing 100 reps in the morning and another 100 at night. That was working really well EXCEPT, I started getting big blistered on my hands from the bar. (Yeah, I have very soft hands). It was getting to the point that I just couldn't do it anymore. I even tried wearing gloves but even that didn't help. So, I stopped using it and it just collected dust.

Then my husband came up with a solution-those foam insulation thingies for pipes. He got some and cut it to size for the bars. The cushion really does help-HOWEVER, now the grips are wider (and I have small hands). It also slips a bit. (He only did this last week.) I have to figure out how to get this to work. Then I can start doing my reps again and maybe I will be able to work up to do more-and put on an ep again.

Cat
This is from someone who has yet to row a stroke so....

I did see that everyplace selling the machines sold rowing gloves too. They looked like gloves with the fingers cut out! I hadn't thought about the blister possibility. Another reason to take it easy!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes! And I have been running with the same playlist for years so I can time stuff with my ipod too.

I was thinking about starting with 10 minutes twice a day for a week or so just to get used to the 'new' motion. Probably with a low resistance setting. Hopefully that will give me enough information on my rowing abilities(or lack of ability) to know how to proceed.

I have been watching on utube. But most of those people are superbly conditioned athletes in their 20's and that's not me!

A wonderful quote from Greg Glassman, the founder of CrossFit, goes something like:

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ in degree, not kind.

What that means is that you need the same thing those 20-somethings do - the levels that you will do them at will be different (time/distance/power/whatever), but they will be the same other than that.

These workouts seem like reasonable ones for someone just starting out.

Beginner Rowing Workouts – Easy – Rowing Workouts

Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM

I bookmarked that site! Thank you. Tons of different workouts there. Coming from a running/walking world, I love the idea of a workout taking 20 minutes or less!

The machine will arrive tomorrow. I am not doing much other than getting it put together. It could go well...or not!

Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

I was posting on my thread and this old one came up. When you first got your machine!

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...it-unused.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness