Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I have a severe left shoulder injury that has been bothering me for five months. After seeing the orthopedic surgeon five times and having an MRI and CT scan, we have determined I will have to have surgery, which I have scheduled for November. For the past few weeks, I have stopped exercising due to the pain and jostling it has caused my arm, and my body is not happy about it. I have developed lower back pain and a bit of knee aching and stiffness because my job is somewhat sedentary and I depend on exercising at least three or four days a week to stay limber and happy.

I don't exercise vigorously like I used to, but I normally strength or cardio train at home for 30-40 minutes a session using Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels videos and my treadmill. I had to stop running on the treadmill completely due to the shoulder pain. I have an upright exercise bike, and although I don't use it much, I can go back to it if needed. I just want to do SOMETHING. The doctor told me to cease and desist any weight bearing exercise with my left arm, but he said I could still exercise if I modified the movements, and the right one is fine. I would appreciate suggestions for some modified body weight or light weight exercises I can do that aren't deadly dull (YouTube videos, especially) because I won't be out of the sling until Christmastime at least. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Can you walk without pain? If so, crank up the incline on your treadmill to the max and walk at 2-3 mph.

A rough guide is that for every 5% of incline added, it's equivalent to adding 1 mph. So 2 mph walking at 20% is roughly equal to 6 mph on a flat treadmill.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Can you walk without pain? If so, crank up the incline on your treadmill to the max and walk at 2-3 mph.

A rough guide is that for every 5% of incline added, it's equivalent to adding 1 mph. So 2 mph walking at 20% is roughly equal to 6 mph on a flat treadmill.
Yes I can. It's just running that moves my shoulder too much. I can do body weight only exercises. All my videos involve some sort of weight work, but I can skip the weights, I suppose. But it would be nice to change things up anyway and try something new, especially since my doctor suspects my workouts contributed to this recent injury. This will be the second surgery on the left shoulder for the same problem

Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
I started a thread a while back called training with an injury and also I started another thread earlier this year called Hindering Injuries. There might be some helpful information there

Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
Would slow walk on treadmill with arm sling if needed. May be able to do some yoga stretching in swimming pool. Can just float in poses instead of falling over.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have a severe left shoulder injury that has been bothering me for five months. After seeing the orthopedic surgeon five times and having an MRI and CT scan, we have determined I will have to have surgery, which I have scheduled for November. For the past few weeks, I have stopped exercising due to the pain and jostling it has caused my arm, and my body is not happy about it. I have developed lower back pain and a bit of knee aching and stiffness because my job is somewhat sedentary and I depend on exercising at least three or four days a week to stay limber and happy.

I don't exercise vigorously like I used to, but I normally strength or cardio train at home for 30-40 minutes a session using Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels videos and my treadmill. I had to stop running on the treadmill completely due to the shoulder pain. I have an upright exercise bike, and although I don't use it much, I can go back to it if needed. I just want to do SOMETHING. The doctor told me to cease and desist any weight bearing exercise with my left arm, but he said I could still exercise if I modified the movements, and the right one is fine. I would appreciate suggestions for some modified body weight or light weight exercises I can do that aren't deadly dull (YouTube videos, especially) because I won't be out of the sling until Christmastime at least. Thanks!
An injury and pain in the shoulder can put you out of action, almost as much as back problems can. I've put both of my shoulders into trouble by working them too hard, but by backing off and giving them a break, everything has always righted itself.

But I'll tell you about something I did once that severely limited my workouts for a couple of months. I was reaching down into a dumpster to pull out something I'd mistakenly tossed in with some trash. I put all my weight on the bottom on my rib-cage, against the top edge of it and the cartilage holding my bottom floating rib got cracked. It became so painful, I could do no upper-body exercises at all. I couldn't run or even ride a bike, because of the force I had to exert on the handlebars.

But I could walk at a moderate pace and I could ride a stationary bike. That was the only exercise I had, but I made the most of it, until I healed. That may be what you have to do, to keep your body and mind happy until your surgery. Good luck with that and for getting back into action.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Prior to surgery, consider prolotherapy and then during the healing process, use tension based stretching techniques. You may have to get more than one procedure, but it's worth it.

Good luck and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness