Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,461 times

Advertisements

I want to crossfit train. But i dont know how or where to begin. I have a gym membership, so I have acess. Just not the knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Find a crossfit facility.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Crossfit facilities open like Starbucks now.

Or... you could educate yourself and do it your way for free.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
https://www.crossfit.com/

Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
I would advise you to be careful and to research what constitutes a quality Crossfit gym. For example, if its patrons are performing exercises that seem dangerous, you might want to find another gym. There are a lot of people that unwittingly become injured because they are performing exercises that have a high probability of resulting in injury. For example, kipping pull ups seem like they could easily result in labral tears.

Personally, I feel the best way to build strength is slow and steady with few exceptions; however, there are some individuals on this board that have had tremendous success with Crossfit that might be able to direct you to a quality gym. I would seek them out as well.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard16 View Post
I want to crossfit train. But i dont know how or where to begin. I have a gym membership, so I have acess. Just not the knowledge.
This post strikes me as being from someone who has more than one CD profile. Someone created a new account just to start this thread. With all the info on Crossfit easily found on Google and YouTube, you seeked out CityData, created a profile here, just to ask about Crossfit because you generally really want to know? Im not buying it.

Visit crossfit.com. And create a profile account on board.crossfit.com where you can actually get answers from people who have DONE crossfit and not couch "athletes" who just saw videos and said "that looks too hard".

IMO, and based on an entire lifetime of working out, fitness, martial arts, sports, and almost 10 years into Crossfit, etc., Crossfit is the best thing ever created if you want to get better, stronger and fitter. Its NOT for you if you want to bodybuild though because it is not a vanity based only-build-my-body type system. Its scaleable so it can be done by ANYONE of ANY fitness level.

Find a CF gym near you and try it out.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This post strikes me as being from someone who has more than one CD profile. Someone created a new account just to start this thread. With all the info on Crossfit easily found on Google and YouTube, you seeked out CityData, created a profile here, just to ask about Crossfit because you generally really want to know? Im not buying it.

Visit crossfit.com. And create a profile account on board.crossfit.com where you can actually get answers from people who have DONE crossfit and not couch "athletes" who just saw videos and said "that looks too hard".

IMO, and based on an entire lifetime of working out, fitness, martial arts, sports, and almost 10 years into Crossfit, etc., Crossfit is the best thing ever created if you want to get better, stronger and fitter. Its NOT for you if you want to bodybuild though because it is not a vanity based only-build-my-body type system. Its scaleable so it can be done by ANYONE of ANY fitness level.

Find a CF gym near you and try it out.
I agree with this.

I will add that before anyone does something as strenuous as Crossfit or a HIIT workout that they get the okay from their doctor. If they have not exercised in a long time I would advise something not so intense to begin.

They should also be okay with having to do modifications or slow down and "march it out" in public, and not be the kind who will risk injury because they don't want to "wimp out" in front of other people. Also rhabdomyolisis is real. It is rare, but it is real.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I would advise you to be careful and to research what constitutes a quality Crossfit gym. For example, if its patrons are performing exercises that seem dangerous, you might want to find another gym. There are a lot of people that unwittingly become injured because they are performing exercises that have a high probability of resulting in injury. For example, kipping pull ups seem like they could easily result in labral tears.

Personally, I feel the best way to build strength is slow and steady with few exceptions; however, there are some individuals on this board that have had tremendous success with Crossfit that might be able to direct you to a quality gym. I would seek them out as well.

I've been doing CrossFit for 7+ years, 4 different gyms across 3 states. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a labral tear from doing kipping pull-ups. I've never met anyone who got rhabdo, either.

I'm not saying it can't happen, it just seems far more unlikely than you apparently think.

FWIW - I've got my CrossFit Level 1 certification and I think that credential alone is WHOLLY insufficient to start your own gym or do your own programming. There are a LOT of crappy CrossFit gyms out there. Shop carefully.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

I agree with this. A a person who has had three shoulder surgeries so far from labral tears, having never done a pull up in my life, the rapid jerking motion on the shoulder joint does not look safe to me. I don't care how fit you are; the shoulder joint is easily damaged because is very mobile, flexible, and it is supported primarily by soft tissues that can't repair themselves once hurt. Thus when the shoulder is injured, surgical intervention is usually needed.

There are CrossFit lovers and CrossFit haters. CrossFit is fine. My main criticism for it is that everything becomes a big competition and proper form is sacrificed in favor of speed. Proper form is key to safety. Getting fit slower is more important than getting fit fast in an unsafe manner. CrossFit gyms are a dime a dozen, and memberships cost a lot of money. I suggest OP tour a few or several and investigate their practices and philosophies. Also, there are gyms out there that have hybrid approaches in which they incorporate CrossFit with more traditional fitness regimens. Those may be worth a look too.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I've been doing CrossFit for 7+ years, 4 different gyms across 3 states. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a labral tear from doing kipping pull-ups. I've never met anyone who got rhabdo, either.
Same here in my ten years experience with Crossfit. Not just no labral tear from kipping, but not a single CF training related injury. NONE. ZILCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness