Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,630,889 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

To make a long story short, I'm wondering just how many of you think that one's location affects their desire and drive to get out of the house and exercise.

I am a big guy. 6'2....330 lbs. Have always struggled with my weight. Lost 30 lbs several times, but always end up gaining it back due to lack of exercise and bad eating habits. At one point I even lost around 50 pounds in a 3-4 month period (drastic change in eating habits).

I'm on the east coast now and cannot seem to get a rhythm together when it comes to working out. I do a ton of walking in the city I am in, but have grown tired of the hustle and bustle of the city.

I have contemplated making a move to the west coast to get my health in order. Figure a place like San Diego with great temperature would be a motivation to get out of the house and pick up a hobby like hiking or biking.

Wondering what your thoughts are on making a move to a new city for health reasons?

I'd really like to get into biking and martial arts. Possibly a little hiking and/or swimming. Not much of a runner at all.

I tend to do better in places where there are lots of other people out and about exercising as well.

Really looking to make a change. Having a hard time getting in a routine where I'm at.

Does it make sense?

Any suggestions on places that have nice weather and that have the general healthy living active lifestyle vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 AM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
I train indoors, so no, not really.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,361,766 times
In Summer, it gets too hot. Sun burns my back, my face, my arms. 34℃ under Sun feels too bad. Sun burns me AS HELL. It's very uncomfortable to do cardio under sun.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,592,885 times
No, unless it's cycling. I only ride my bike during the warmer months.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM

4,579 posts, read 5,456,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Does the weather/location affect your drive to workout???.
Not really. The only time it does have some effect on my workout is if/when the temp is in the 50s-60s, and ONLY then it only affects my early morning outdoors run. I prefer temps in the 80s - 90s, but if its too cold I'll just do an indoors workout.

So, really, the weather doesnt really affect me at all unless it drops way down into the 50s - 60s range, and it only causes me to do something different.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:41 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,049,268 times
When I lived on the east coast (VA) it was difficult to exercise outside the gym.

Overall, people weren't much outside because it was either too hot or too cold. Lots of overweight and lazy people. Tons of drive-ins accommodating obesity. Everybody seemed to be overweight, chairs in restaurants were bigger, more trucks, mor fast food, more stores for overweight people.

No hills/mountains to hike on. Hardly any hiking trails. Hardly bike trails. Hardly even sidewalks. Even though the area was flooded with military guys (NAVY headquarters), nobody seemed to do any outdoor sports.

It is much easier to be active here on the West Coast.

If you move to San Diego, there are tons of active people everywhere. You'll see them walking/bicycling/running everywhere (lots of military). You'll see a lot of slim, beautiful people. That can be probably be stressful for an overweight person but also maybe motivation to lose weight.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,120,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
When I lived on the east coast (VA) it was difficult to exercise outside the gym.

Overall, people weren't much outside because it was either too hot or too cold. Lots of overweight and lazy people. Tons of drive-ins accommodating obesity. Everybody seemed to be overweight, chairs in restaurants were bigger, more trucks, mor fast food, more stores for overweight people.

No hills/mountains to hike on. Hardly any hiking trails. Hardly bike trails. Hardly even sidewalks. Even though the area was flooded with military guys (NAVY headquarters), nobody seemed to do any outdoor sports.

It is much easier to be active here on the West Coast.

If you move to San Diego, there are tons of active people everywhere. You'll see them walking/bicycling/running everywhere (lots of military). You'll see a lot of slim, beautiful people. That can be probably be stressful for an overweight person but also maybe motivation to lose weight.
Probably explains why the large, chain gyms are less full in areas like San Diego, Denver, Austin, Phoenix,. etc. That and there are plenty of specialty gyms that cater to those that want to get into fighting-person shape, or focus on body-building and what have you.
Smaller towns and cities, what few gyms there are get packed rather quickly with everyone at all hours of the day. Go in there for a simple, get in/get out workout and it's not long before you're telling some wannabe trainer off and wasting some precious hours between work.

I was on a good track towards slimming back down a few years ago before I moved to a small town for a job. Now it's just a struggle like everything else.
As for the driving thing, I ride my bike to a gym when I get the chance and the gym is worth going to. But the one's where I'm currently at, no bike locks/racks in sight!!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,323,443 times
I don't work out in a gym per say..... But I do try to stay in pretty good shape, mainly by doing outdoor activities, so climate, weather and location play a huge part in this for me.

I'm much more active in sunnier, warmer climates. Especially those out west/southwest where hiking, biking, rock climbing abound year round.

I find my energy/motivation levels severely sag when it's cloudy/rainy/colder or otherwise depressing weather outside. I want to sit around, eat, stay warm, feel sorry for myself, and otherwise be lazy. When it's sunny outside, I want to seize the day for all it's worth. Bike ride in AM, hike midday, rock climb in the evening, etc.

I've always been in the best shape when I live somewhere with 300+ days of sunshine a year. I believe I'm also very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure and falling barometric pressure gets me down. There's actually a lot of science to back up why barometric pressure, gloomy clouds/rain and inclement weather can get you down.

It's much easier to be active year round in western states. Not only for the weather, but for the sheer variety of outdoor topography waiting to be hiked, biked and climbed all over.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:26 AM

11,126 posts, read 5,619,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hi All,

To make a long story short, I'm wondering just how many of you think that one's location affects their desire and drive to get out of the house and exercise.

I am a big guy. 6'2....330 lbs. Have always struggled with my weight. Lost 30 lbs several times, but always end up gaining it back due to lack of exercise and bad eating habits. At one point I even lost around 50 pounds in a 3-4 month period (drastic change in eating habits).

I'm on the east coast now and cannot seem to get a rhythm together when it comes to working out. I do a ton of walking in the city I am in, but have grown tired of the hustle and bustle of the city.

I have contemplated making a move to the west coast to get my health in order. Figure a place like San Diego with great temperature would be a motivation to get out of the house and pick up a hobby like hiking or biking.

Wondering what your thoughts are on making a move to a new city for health reasons?

I'd really like to get into biking and martial arts. Possibly a little hiking and/or swimming. Not much of a runner at all.

I tend to do better in places where there are lots of other people out and about exercising as well.

Really looking to make a change. Having a hard time getting in a routine where I'm at.

Does it make sense?

Any suggestions on places that have nice weather and that have the general healthy living active lifestyle vibe.

Your eating habits will be your primary means for losing weight and keeping it off, not so much your exercise. Unless you figure out a good diet and stick to it, you will always struggle with your weight. You might try eliminating everything made with grains and that contains simple sugar. That certainly works for me. If I had kept eating everything I wanted, after I became full-grown, I would probably weigh 330 lbs., also.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM

628 posts, read 905,742 times
I'm in NY. Rain or shine, snow, sleet or hail, I'm up at 4:45am, getting on that railroad and making my way to the gym in the city, then off to work. Your location shouldn't stop you from working out. If it's even walking around your block 10 times or going to the nearest school & using the track. You have to find that motivation again and get back in a rhythm. Prep your meals ahead of time & keep healthy snacks around. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness