Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Actually, research has shown that runners' knees aren't any worse than anyone else's. Also, that the benefits of running far outweigh any joint damage that may occur. I run, and I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees, but it's not from running. My mother has artificial knees, and she never ran a step. It's just genetics. I plan to run until I just can't anymore. Nothing is as bad for you as not exercising.
Rep. That's reassuring. I know my heart appreciates that I've been keeping at it for many years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
I get my new garmin watch tomorrow so it's time to put some miles in

Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 PM

348 posts, read 256,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you all make good points....and I thank you for participating and for your feedback....

I thought this might make a great discussion....and give us all some room for thought.....

You've all seriously made some very good points, and want to thank you....

I have only repeated what My doctor told me, and we discussed this at length....I have worked hard all my life, and done things with my body that most women wouldn't attempt....including working out and running, while pushing myself and my body. I worked construction earlier in life for 8 years, working with horses, mending fences, bailing hay and stacking hay....so, I know I put strain on all my joints and now at 68 years old, am suffering the consequences. I also have MS, which might be a factor, I don't know? Wouldn't be surprised...because there is a certain amount of pain from it....

Perhaps it was in my DNA not to have strong joints, who knows? No one really...at this point in time, it happened and my orthopedic surgeon found it necessary to do two total knee replacements, and I also damaged my lower back from the pounding for which surgery was necessary.

My purpose for this thread, is the fact that I was concerned for all who do run..I know I pushed my limits, became addicted and over did it...loved running and actually got a high off of it, and those of you who do run, know what I mean.

It was a great feeling of accomplishment....not to mention, I had a really great body. LOL....and still to this day when I see people running, I envy them, and no I don't hate them, I'm happy for them that they can indulge.

So, who knows....if your reading this, you may never ever have a problem....I hope you don't and wish you the best.

Thanks
Creme
It looks like you have worked hard all your life and might be the reason some parts of your body are tearing down. I have a SIL ten years younger than me who worked hard hauling and picking up weight that a man would struggle lifting. Now her body is paying the price for that hard work. I always admired how she attacked each job with passion.

I have run for over 30 years and completed many marathons. As you get older running is harder on your body and joints. Many injuries cropped up over the years but that is normal when you run races. I have never had knee problems but have arthritis in my back. My ortho dr. is amazed I still run with no pain. The best advice the dr gave me is to listen to my body. Running on my treadmill or trail running enables me to still enjoy running without the jarring of my body on hard surfaces.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
It looks like you have worked hard all your life and might be the reason some parts of your body are tearing down. I have a SIL ten years younger than me who worked hard hauling and picking up weight that a man would struggle lifting. Now her body is paying the price for that hard work. I always admired how she attacked each job with passion.

I have run for over 30 years and completed many marathons. As you get older running is harder on your body and joints. Many injuries cropped up over the years but that is normal when you run races. I have never had knee problems but have arthritis in my back. My ortho dr. is amazed I still run with no pain. The best advice the dr gave me is to listen to my body. Running on my treadmill or trail running enables me to still enjoy running without the jarring of my body on hard surfaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness