Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 AM

437 posts, read 336,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Good for you, Ive made a turnaround too in the past three months, not as long as you but intend to keep it going as Im doing fine...I dont want to lose too much weight now as Im 70 but want to look and feel better and its working... All the junk food is gone.. cut down on carbs a lot.. only bread as cant go without it, its the one thing I must have but not in the same amounts as I was eating... I eat two or three portions of fruit a day.. with natural low fat yogurt and its delicious with a little honey... and filling... good sugars.... and once or twice a day if I have a sugar rush feeling I have a low cal drink of hot chocolate, Options or one of them.. does the trick and puts me off biscuits, sweets and cakes.. and the drink lasts longer..... Tuna with low mayo or cottage cheese , cooked chicken with salad and low fat dressing.. its become easy.. I even have a baked potato once or twice a week..same with steak..as protein is important too.. good luck to you all ..dont forget no sugary drinks or alcohol...
Nice job

You must feel better due to the change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Good job....keep up with your diet. Remember, NOTHING tastes as good as HEALTHY feels
Just a question, anyone else knowledgeable on fitness free to answer too.

Sometimes during the week I will over sleep. I work hard, while some people will come home from work and maybe watch tv or whatever......I go through phases where I'll sleep 14 hours in a 24 hour period.

My question is, is this a good or bad thing for keeping my weight and body fat down??

Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Just a question, anyone else knowledgeable on fitness free to answer too.

Sometimes during the week I will over sleep. I work hard, while some people will come home from work and maybe watch tv or whatever......I go through phases where I'll sleep 14 hours in a 24 hour period.

My question is, is this a good or bad thing for keeping my weight and body fat down??
Sleep is one of the most underrated key components when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle; not a lot of people get enough.

As for 14 hours being too much? I think it is if its happening frequently. All the people I know who over-sleep are obese and have medical conditions.

Why do you think you're going through these phases of prolonged sleep? Were you not getting enough days prior? Underlying/medical condition?

Old 07-12-2017, 03:34 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Nice job

You must feel better due to the change?
Yes I do Im not near as sluggish as I was becoming and go out for smart walks too with the wee dog...

Old 07-12-2017, 04:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
I need suggestions......

Retired last year at 60, I am 6ft,was 356 at retirement,am now 326 but have reached a plateau .I walk anywhere from 4 to 6 miles a day and watch what I eat.Try to eat whole wheat when I can ,no sodas,no smoking (never have)water and Diet Green Tea with honey are my drinks,dinner usually chicken ,beef maybe once a week,eat fresh fruit when I can.(love it)

Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Sleep is one of the most underrated key components when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle; not a lot of people get enough.

As for 14 hours being too much? I think it is if its happening frequently. All the people I know who over-sleep are obese and have medical conditions.

Why do you think you're going through these phases of prolonged sleep? Were you not getting enough days prior? Underlying/medical condition?
Don't know it's just what my body wants to do.

I work in construction so am pretty active. Typically, I come home, eat then sleep for 3 hours or so.

Get up get some stuff done and then sleep for another 11 or so.

Last visit to the doctor gave me the all clear after a full medical. So really not sure why sometimes I sleep this much.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I need suggestions......

Retired last year at 60, I am 6ft,was 356 at retirement,am now 326 but have reached a plateau .I walk anywhere from 4 to 6 miles a day and watch what I eat.Try to eat whole wheat when I can ,no sodas,no smoking (never have)water and Diet Green Tea with honey are my drinks,dinner usually chicken ,beef maybe once a week,eat fresh fruit when I can.(love it)
Diet sounds fine.....it's hard to keep dropping with just walking alone. Maybe add 40 mins of swimming 3 times a week and cycling is another good one both low impact.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Lost 40 pounds since October.

1. Counted calories. 1700 per day. Portion control is key.
2. Eliminated almost all junk. Haven't had any pasta, desserts (except for the occasional sugar free). Instead, my diet is 80% fresh fruit and vegetables.
3. Activity level pretty high. Try to do an hour of cardio every day.

It seems I have plateaued every 5 pounds, but keep at it and bust past.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
I need suggestions......

Count calories. I used the Loseit.com app and it boggled my mind as to how many calories are in the portions we normally eat. It also boggled my mind as to how the calories of normally healthy foods added up when I wasn't actually calculating my portions.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
I need suggestions......

Eliminate all wheat from diet and you will lose more weight for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness