Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times

Advertisements

A certain national fitness chain employs the above phrase to describe it's gym environment, and also has a buzzer that goes off if someone drops a weight excessively hard.

Does a gym really need to advertise itself as "Judgement(bully)-Free"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Does a gym really need to advertise itself as "Judgement(bully)-Free"?
In some places, yes. There are 30-somethings who've gained major weight for the first time and aren't dealing with it well. That sort of ad resonates with them.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 PM

9,454 posts, read 8,437,051 times
Which is silly. Because simply stating "Judgement free zone" doesn't mean that people won't be judging other people. The whole premise behind is so incredibly dumb but apparently insecure people want to go to a gym where they can pretend people are not judging them. And these gyms are sprouting up everywhere too.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
I think it is a great slogan. Planet Fitness wants to be a user friendly and non-intimidating gym. They are stocked in a way this discourages serious weightlifters and serious fitness enthusiasts from utilizing it as their primary gym. It is aimed to be a starter gym if you will.

The last thing many people want is a self-proclaimed expert who says you are doing it wrong, offers to show you what they do and so on.

An acquaintance of mine is flirting with power lifting. She is also overweight. She recently started posting pics and videos of her weight lifting at the gym. There are plenty of unsolicited comments - not about her form, but about what they think she should eat, diet teas, and weight loss supplements. And those are the polite ones. Others are more about shaming and insulting her. Many people want to avoid this feeling altogether, and the promise of a judgement free zone is appealing.

If you don't like it, don't go!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,024,854 times
The irony is that in my experience, it's the serious lifters who tend to be the least judgmental. They're just happy to see other people lifting. And a gym with no barbells wouldn't meet my needs. But to each his own!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,788,245 times
You obviously haven't heard about the playboy bunny who body-shamed the old woman in the locker room.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Which is silly. Because simply stating "Judgement free zone" doesn't mean that people won't be judging other people. The whole premise behind is so incredibly dumb but apparently insecure people want to go to a gym where they can pretend people are not judging them. And these gyms are sprouting up everywhere too.
I don't think its dumb. People get really, really nervous about doing things in front of other people. Especially if they aren't "good" or they don't look the part.

Look, a PF isn't going to fit my needs, but I don't think the premise is dumb. They don't have barbells and I understand that sometimes weights get dropped and it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The free pizza and bagels are dumb, but the premise of an outspoken low-key environment isn't.

I can see how it would be intimidating trying to take control of your fitness, starting from zero and walking into a gym where the bro's are being obnoxious on the bench press.

The fitness industry is really strange. Its one of the few places where they make more money if you never use the product after signing up. So, making the emotional risk as low as possible, the potential results seen by their clientele are irrelevant.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times
Yes, it does.

And I'm glad there are gyms like that.

If people want to scream and grunt and drop weights just to feed their egos and narcissism, that is their right, but that they are free to do that in most gyms.

There are quite a few of us that desire a more peaceful atmosphere, where we have no desire to be near or hear roid monsters scream and rant and rave for every single rep and deliberately slam dumbbells and deadlifts ("loook at meeeee"). But we are in the minority, because people like us get mocked as being soft and weak and have no business being in gyms if we feel that way.

Hence, fitness chains that do stress tolerance and are strict about not dropping weights, are a very welcome sight.

Hey, if you think that's dumb, that's your opinion. You guys have tons of gym options to feed your egos. The rest of us do NOT have that option in general. So again, these types of gyms are more than welcome.

Whats the opinion of Planet Fitness?

People who grunt, scream, drop weights and misuse or abuse the gym's equipment.

My local 24 hr fitness now has power racks and bumper plates

Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, it does.

And I'm glad there are gyms like that.

If people want to scream and grunt and drop weights just to feed their egos and narcissism, that is their right, but that they are free to do that in most gyms.

There are quite a few of us that desire a more peaceful atmosphere, where we have no desire to be near or hear roid monsters scream and rant and rave for every single rep and deliberately slam dumbbells and deadlifts ("loook at meeeee"). But we are in the minority, because people like us get mocked as being soft and weak and have no business being in gyms if we feel that way.

Hence, fitness chains that do stress tolerance and are strict about not dropping weights, are a very welcome sight.

Hey, if you think that's dumb, that's your opinion. You guys have tons of gym options to feed your egos. The rest of us do NOT have that option in general. So again, these types of gyms are more than welcome.

Whats the opinion of Planet Fitness?

People who grunt, scream, drop weights and misuse or abuse the gym's equipment.

My local 24 hr fitness now has power racks and bumper plates

My point was that 'judgement-free' should be understood as part of member conduct, in a polite society. When I'm in a gym, I mind my business, and get a staff member if I see anyone appearing to be in danger or using improper technique on the equipment. The only person I'm there to coach is myself.

As far as "Lunk Alert" sirens go - that is just embarrassing. Some folks are going to grunt during a set, or drop their weights heavily on the deck after a set.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,116,988 times
I always thought the dead hours of the late-night/early AM were the judgment free zones for any gym. Go on in there when it's least populated and go nuts. Worked the first time around when I gunned for weight loss. Now I'm tweaking my work schedule again so I could make those days happen once more.

If anything, I feel criticism towards other gym members tends to be at a high when the place is packed. Sort of a nicer way to free up equipment without being direct about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness