Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM

5,486 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Perhaps. But then again, I was also 22-25 years old when I maintained that level of ferocity. Now that I've aged about 8-10 years, it could be that all of that was burned out of my system and I've just accepted being chill and lazy.
That said, I'll have to start watching foods and intake more closely if I'm to keep my CDL. As for gym workouts, the 30min-1hr sessions will probably work just fine with a highly reduced food intake.
I just got to renew my membership at the place and start going immediately after work again. A little bit of lifting, a little bit of the elliptical to get it all into play.

As I said, I'd rather be more focused on smaller clothes and being lighter again. Everyone seems to stress all sorts of heavy lifting and such, but I'd rather do enough of it just to maintain what muscle already exists on the body. And I'm quite sure I could do all by myself like I did the first time.
Empty gyms are the best gyms.
Based on your 'hanging with the younger crowd' thread, I would've guessed you were in your forties, not 32ish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Some people seem to get really invested in THEIR diet or workout routine, and insist that it's the One True Way.

A friend who was in sales told me the answer that was hardest to counter was "no." Don't explain, don't excuse yourself, just say no, thanks and move on.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The body needed rest. Take a break. The overeating and stoppage of exercise were personal choices.
ugh, not going to go back and forth with you. sorry.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:13 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Based on your 'hanging with the younger crowd' thread, I would've guessed you were in your forties, not 32ish
That's a chill, bicycle scene I usually roll with right there. No lycra, no jerseys, just kids of all ages cruising through the streets of Boulder or Austin. Body-type wise, no one ever brings that sort of thing up on those. But, I guess it's different when strangers meet someone for the first time and they'll just assume I was like this for quite some time.

On the other hand, I got a whole different crowd to shock once the pounds come back off

Old 08-03-2017, 02:19 PM

5,486 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
That's a chill, bicycle scene I usually roll with right there. No lycra, no jerseys, just kids of all ages cruising through the streets of Boulder or Austin. Body-type wise, no one ever brings that sort of thing up on those. But, I guess it's different when strangers meet someone for the first time and they'll just assume I was like this for quite some time.

On the other hand, I got a whole different crowd to shock once the pounds come back off
Yeah, what you described in that thread reminded me of the summertime Sunday night bike rides here in Buffalo, which depart from a bargoing district at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning and last till 2 AM or so. Average age being probably just about 21 for those Buffalo rides....

Old 08-03-2017, 02:34 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
I'm just getting tired of being bugged all the time due to my current body type. Yeah, I may need to lose a hundred pounds, but what is the guy pushing me thinking he's going to get out of it aside from possibly having newly, in-shape person pounding him several months from now?
I don't know about anybody else in here, but I feel being out-of-shape is kind of a good thing. Less eager to jump into a fight, less willing to start one.
I know that when I briefly got my weight down, I felt like the testosterone was spilling over the pot and I felt ready to deck any one with a different opinion.
Now, I just find a calm way to end the discussion, or make up some excuse like "I got to go to the bathroom".

Perhaps whenever I get myself back down in weight, I'm going to start associating with a more effeminate set of people. Stay away from the special-ops and police academy hopefuls that typically egg on aggressiveness.
Some people just don't know good advice when they hear it and insist on continuing their self-destructive habits, out of stubbornness.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Some people just don't know good advice when they hear it and insist on continuing their self-destructive habits, out of stubbornness.
I'll take the advice, but don't think for one second I'm going to become "buddy-buddy" with the one who suggested it. I'll work the weight down and if I see those advice-givers in public, I'll just give them the finger and keep getting where I want to be.
I don't want to live into my 60s/70s, but I sure don't want to be hooked up to machines either at any point in my life. I've got a mom who's dealing with diabetes and other health ailments. She's only 57 and the last thing I need is to end up in that state by that time. It's still early enough to turn back the clock and keep anything worse off from happening.

Although I'd much rather get the entire deed done without much fanfare. None of these sheep starting to give off the generic, congrats comments. To me, that gratitude along the way kind of takes a dump on the entire endeavor. Get in, start dropping pounds, and have no one notice until they start bugging me about buying new clothes.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
If you do nothing, you get nothing. Just do it.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
If you do nothing, you get nothing. Just do it.
Hey, the only "nothing" I want is "nothing" around my waistline!!!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
I don't want to live into my 60s/70s
Um, is this a typo? Many of us are doing fine into our 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s. Serious ailments are not mandatory, and you learn to live with the small stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness