Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,793,633 times

Advertisements

America is a microwave nation...

We want what we want when we want it...

Fast Food, huge portions for lower pricing, and an abundant of processed and salty, fatty foods, gives us free reign to consume consume and consume at our own peril b/c we want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,274,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-Corn syrup or sugar being added to foods for no good reason
Food companies started to add sugar to food when fat became demonized and then they used corn syrup to save some money since it was so much cheaper.

Fat has been found to not be an issue just in the last few years, but all the carbs added to the american diet to substitute for the removed fat has led to the fattening of america.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:23 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,974,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
The healthiest longest living populations eat a high % of their diet in carbs. Demonizing carbs has no physiological basis (they are rarely if ever stored as fat in humans)
LOL yeah all the longest living populations around the world are BIG Frosted Flake fans, Wonder Bread and frozen pancakes.

You DID see my preceding points about fractionalized grains and processed foods didn't you? I was OBVS not talking about the carbs in fruit, vegs and other REAL food (or even dairy which is debatable if people should be nursing from cows.)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-10-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 PM

696 posts, read 910,382 times
mcdonalds

Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,862,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL yeah all the longest living populations around the world are BIG Frosted Flake fans, Wonder Bread and frozen pancakes.

You DID see my preceding points about fractionalized grains and processed foods didn't you?
You do realize that carbs are not just white bread and frosted flakes don't you? Carbs are not the enemy. Fast food, prepackaged foods, and junk food are the enemy. Demonizing carbs is lazy. All carbs are not junk food, but all junk food are carbs. Learn the difference.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM

384 posts, read 379,279 times
Starbucks , a 16oz hot chocolate has 400 calories and 43 grams of sugar and 50 carbs , that's more carbs than I normally eat in a whole day.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
Starbucks , a 16oz hot chocolate has 400 calories and 43 grams of sugar and 50 carbs , that's more carbs than I normally eat in a whole day.
Its not the carbs, its the calories. Its a junk food drink full of sugar and fat with no nutritional value. That is why you shouldn't drink, not that it is a bunch of carbs.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,504,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Our culture focuses on eating. Holidays, celebrations, etc. Our media constantly promotes eating - pay attention to all the fast food and restaurant commercial ads that flood the TV everyday/night.

I lived in Europe (Germany) for 4-5 different decades and saw them have similar changes as KFC, McD, BK, Pizza Hut flooded their markets w/ fast food joints. My German relatives are obese - something you really didn't see before the 70's. Yep, America's contribution to the world: fast food, coca cola, etc.

Parents model behavior and the children learn from it. I was a victim of that as well.

But you know what? It's not my problem. I'm focusing on myself and trying to ignore the ads, fast food joints in my area and plan my meals to where I don't have to depend on them when I'm in a bind and hungry.
Too much sugar and junk food. Walk into a supermarket, 80% of the items have sugar. According to Fed Up, the US should've labeled sugar as the culprit, but the sugar industry paid big bucks to label fat as the enemy. By improving your diet, it can do just as much, if not more than exercising.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Medical costs would skyrocket with or without obese people. We have a large and aging population with a healthcare system that's designed to increase costs.

Maybe you're one of the unicorns that's truly concerned with people's health, but I think this is more about people just not liking fatness and using other reasons to make their point not seem shallow. Too many irrationally angry posts in this thread and I seriously don't think we have that many health and wellness SJW's in this country. If we did, we'd all have 6-packs and look like fitness models.
If you think obese people are not greatly contributing to healthcare costs you are not informed.
I am not personally upset about obese people and how they look. I feel bad that they are killing themselves with food. I get really pissed off when I see obese kids. That is child abuse in my book. But that is another thread for another day. I don't know what an SJW is, but I do know that in order to look like a fitness model you have to make diet and exercise your job. Those bodies dont come easy so I don't see how everyone would be those.
Why do I get the feeling you are overweight?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,192,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Our culture focuses on eating. Holidays, celebrations, etc. Our media constantly promotes eating - pay attention to all the fast food and restaurant commercial ads that flood the TV everyday/night..
That's a good point that may be hard to realize.

One of the things that I noticed many months ago (I was talking to a brother on the phone) that one of the reasons why my back ground stress was down, perhaps, is that I don't watch "broadcast" TV at all (or at least, nothing in English).

Just as perhaps TV contributes to our stress, so it may "make us" do things. An interesting off point on that is my relationship with salads. It was a commercial I saw years ago where the voice over, in a 70s tonal Kate Jackson, was saying, "Around here, we eat a lot of salads". That commercial hit all the right notes with me to make me a constant salad eater. Now, they were probably selling some salad dressing and I gave that stuff up in the late 80s.

I'm not "perfect" in what I use in my salads but it goes like this: Romaine, feta, Parmesan, fish, avocado, sunflower seeds, tomato, olives, spices, and croutons. I shake but not spin the water off for it gives something for the spices to attach to. I'm listing the contents for what's there that someone could advertise off of? The croutons and perhaps the cheeses but the other stuff, you either like it or you don't.

Someone might be able to advertise the avocado but after they process it and dish it up into a party atmosphere, such as some kind of dip. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever seen a commercial of having the avocado with salad dressing after the pit was removed (gave up that approach, too, decades ago).
They might be able to advertise the sunflower seeds but only after salt has been added. Hence, we come back to the salad dressing. Salad by itself is pretty plain on TV; it's only after it has been doused with the pretty people, sorry Paul, high caloric salad dressing that it becomes some thing to make commercials about.

So why doesn't all the pretty people on TV and in movies convince us to be slim like them? Well, a few things probably tie into that. First, we probably get the message of the food first and then get the message that even with the food, we can still be like them. The catch that is lost on us is that it is all movie magic and what we are seeing is not how it works. Of course, there is the other side of the story when one does get the message of the pretty people and starves themselves to try to achieve that.

I'd say that a big thing is that not many people cook any more so we get fast food, restaurant food (big portions, fillers, perhaps alcohol that doesn't tell us when we have had enough), and processed food. Of course, there are certain styles of cooking that add to the calories as well such as fried.

The "invention" of the fork and spoon may contribute. Every so often, I'll stop at the Chinese buffet. It's a lot of tasty food that is cooked in oil and I do see people shovel it in. I don't because I take that opportunity to use chop sticks. The Chinese buffet is an interesting 2 sided sword with me. On one side, it is a lot of calories but on the other side, it stops my thirst for alcohol that I might want when I get home (I don't drink outside the home).

Sodas are probably a big contributor. Besides being the replacement for alcohol, they are, probably, an example of a bigger problem in that we don't really know what is in our food and what it will do to us. This problem has been going on for decades. From corn syrup to margarine, it can make one shudder, whether the intent was malicious or not.

Finally, it may be how we get programmed in society. There's a PSA out there on youtube that shows the 33 (or so) obese man in the ER with a heart attack and the doctor asking how did he get to this point. His life is then rewound with all the related events and we get back to his mother feeding him french fries because "it's the only thing he will eat".

I remember back in my ROTC days at A&M where as freshmen, we really didn't eat at meals until "CHOW DOWN!" where we got to stuff it all in in about 5 or less minutes. This or that regiment system to teach and control others. When it comes to making time on the schedule, it may be the meal times that are slashed. They did that at my high school until they realized the effect it was having on students and faculty alike.

Little things, here and there, it all adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness