Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,020,303 times

Advertisements

I feel like people's "concern" with obesity is more about just hating fat people instead of some deep worry over our society at large. If scientists discovered there were ZERO health issues with being fat, many would still be saying the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 AM

35,263 posts, read 31,631,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
All of that is so true. my mom treated me to IHOP and I had a helluva time trying to find something that wasn't astronomical calorie wise. In one sitting, you can easily put away 1500 calories, which is about what I eat most days. I tell you that if you are going out to eat and the nutritional info is provided to you beforehand, try and pick out the lowest calorie (and salt!) option. I did a short stack of pancakes (430) and scrambled egg whites (100). That kept me full until my dinner time and then I ate my usual 500 calorie meal, and had my usual 170 calorie dessert. That was it. So when I go out to eat, I make sure I adjust my calories throughout the day to stay within my range. I am 5'10, 151...since I am active, I can eat say 2000 calories per day.
This makes me think of something. I live in a town of 50,000. The only healthy-ish breakfast option in town is Panera Bread. Everything else is either a fast food biscuit, or a sit down greasy spoon like IHOP.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,862,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I feel like people's "concern" with obesity is more about just hating fat people instead of some deep worry over our society at large. If scientists discovered there were ZERO health issues with being fat, many would still be saying the same things.
Well being obese is a health concern and as 1/3 of our population is obese medical costs have skyrocketed to treat them. A huge population is suffering from diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, osteo problems such as knee replacements, cancer, to having to make bigger wheel chairs, gurneys and even coffins to accommodate our growing population. So your post is pie in the sky wishful thinking.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,009,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
And that's never going to happen, because when you carry more weight than your body is designed to carry, you are going to deal at some point with knee, foot, ankle and leg problems. I've had them all - shin splints, plantar fasciitis, tendinitis, heel spurs... it's not fun when it hurts just to walk. I finally decided I've had enough of that, because it is getting in the way of activities that I enjoy doing.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,974,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Heres a few key ones

-Laziness
-large meal sizes
-unhealthy meal choices
-Reaching a point of no return
-Health issues preventing or limiting exercise
-Apathy to health and fitness

What are some more reasons?
Processed foods
Fractionalized grains (like cereal)
The food industry pushing carbs since the 1960s with false narratives
Soda
Sugar

AND self-indulgent mental problems.

Have you seen My 600 Lb Life? I've never seen such whiny, immature, weak people in my life.

Even when the Dr says EXPLICITLY what to eat and to MOVE instead of laying around all the time...you see them gain weight while putting on kabuki theater for the camera "I'm trying SO HARD and it's just not working! And they never TOLD me what to eat!".

Meanwhile you already saw them eating 4000 calories in one after noon and not even getting out of bed for any reason. LOL

Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,974,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This makes me think of something. I live in a town of 50,000. The only healthy-ish breakfast option in town is Panera Bread. Everything else is either a fast food biscuit, or a sit down greasy spoon like IHOP.
Apparently you haven't been IN the IHOP because they have healthy choices, too.

And by healthy-ish you mean trendy-ish, right?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM

901 posts, read 751,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Processed foods
Fractionalized grains (like cereal)
The food industry pushing carbs since the 1960s with false narratives
Soda
Sugar

AND self-indulgent mental problems.

Have you seen My 600 Lb Life? I've never seen such whiny, immature, weak people in my life.

Even when the Dr says EXPLICITLY what to eat and to MOVE instead of laying around all the time...you see them gain weight while putting on kabuki theater for the camera "I'm trying SO HARD and it's just not working! And they never TOLD me what to eat!".

Meanwhile you already saw them eating 4000 calories in one after noon and not even getting out of bed for any reason. LOL
The healthiest longest living populations eat a high % of their diet in carbs. Demonizing carbs has no physiological basis (they are rarely if ever stored as fat in humans)

Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,662,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Heres a few key ones

-Laziness
-large meal sizes
-unhealthy meal choices
-Reaching a point of no return
-Health issues preventing or limiting exercise
-Apathy to health and fitness

What are some more reasons?
well our govs have allowed the media to be used to brainwash society and the encourage mass consumption of toxic foods.

lets face it. No US gov has actually focused on the welfare of the public in a true and meaningful way at any point in our lifetimes.

when is the last time the gov, said. "OK no advertising rubbish foods on TV, cause it is killing people".

when is the last time the gov, "yeah you know those supplements on TV, yeah we are going to sue their butts and raise the standards to stop the endless lies about penis growth, weight loss brain health etc...

Our Gov has allowed the population to be captured by advertisers and adverts WORK.

why on earth are all the burdens placed on the individual? It really makes no sense. People are allowed to be on TV, lie lie and lie and the end consumer is supposed to figure out who is lying who is not and what is good and what is not etc.

maybe we could just raise the standards.

YES i know the consumer is very much responsible for their actions, but we make it damn hard for them.
smoking did not fall off a cliff until we banned advertising so damn hard. Then it dropped off a lot.

I believe we could do a huge amount more to help and encourage people to be fit and healthy.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,051,146 times
HFCS, Electronics and The Food Network.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,591,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Apparently you haven't been IN the IHOP because they have healthy choices, too.

And by healthy-ish you mean trendy-ish, right?
I've looked at their menu. Their healthy choices only consist of a few items and even then, they're at least 500-600 (most pushing towards 1000) calories with TONS of bloat inducing salt. They've largely eliminated many of the simple & fit items because people weren't buying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness