Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. They're all great. And thanks for not being sanctimonious.

It looks like this has actually been discussed quite a bit in a thread below, so sorry for creating a new thread.

I look forward to reading more about some of your experiences.
I think you are doing fine, why change?

But there is a negative side for people who let exercise dominate their lives. It really can be an addiction. Professional or sponsored athletes need to stay in great shape, no confusion there. But for the average Joe, very often the motivation is an unhealthy obsession. Often they neglect other parts of their lives and minds because they are pumping away hour after hour.

Of course, some people ramp up exercise to keep from being tempted by alcohol/drug problems, or deep depression, those are good reasons, though not necessarily long-term.

I'd urge regular, manageable, hopefully fun exercise instead. Exercise that you will do every week/month/year of your life but still have time for a full, balanced life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
girls

When you are older, the realization that you are about to begin a long downhill slide healthwise and you had better start a bit further up the hill.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I think you are doing fine, why change?

But there is a negative side for people who let exercise dominate their lives. It really can be an addiction. Professional or sponsored athletes need to stay in great shape, no confusion there. But for the average Joe, very often the motivation is an unhealthy obsession. Often they neglect other parts of their lives and minds because they are pumping away hour after hour.

Of course, some people ramp up exercise to keep from being tempted by alcohol/drug problems, or deep depression, those are good reasons, though not necessarily long-term.

I'd urge regular, manageable, hopefully fun exercise instead. Exercise that you will do every week/month/year of your life but still have time for a full, balanced life.
Exercise also produces dopamine which can act as a substitute crutch for drugs or alcohol in staving off or dealing with depression. Apparently dopamine cna also be addictive and you cannot do without it after a while.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Exercise also produces dopamine which can act as a substitute crutch for drugs or alcohol in staving off or dealing with depression. Apparently dopamine cna also be addictive and you cannot do without it after a while.
Yep, was going to mention that too... but hey, if you're going to suffer from an addiction, exercise sure beats crack, alcohol/cigarettes, opioids, etc.!

Moderation is always the key of course. Hell, too much water can kill you.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
What motivated me to want to lose 20 pounds? My cardiologist. I have two valves in mild heart disease. I've already lost 5 pounds and I like the way my clothes are fitting. Now I just eat to live.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The reasons vary as much as the posters here.

I saw a few pictures of myself and didn't like what I saw, weight wise. I saw a middle-aged man getting the pot belly, soft, and with poor endurance.

As someone who has worked and studied cardiac nursing for years, I saw what poor fitness and poor nutrition does to folks as they got older - my goal is try to be as fit as possible without over-taxing the joints, heart, muscles to where I have to see the MD regularly for injuries.

I'm not working anymore so it doesn't take a lot of motivation to get up and run, bike, swim, lift, do yoga/pilates, or stretch -

I'm running a half marathon in a few months - that's about my limit. Don't want too much wear and tear on the knees/hips.

So my motivation is appearance and to keep myself physically fit and prolong some the changes that come w/ aging.

I feel for workerbees who are exhausted at the end of the day/work week - I remember those days. It's hard to get yourself up at 5 a.m. to workout or to do it after work. I went long spells (mostly in winter climates) where I didn't workout because of being so tired from work.
Tell me about it, working out just got a lot harder for me with a new job. Now I'm working 10+ hour days. 5 a.m. is harder when it gets cold too. I'm really gonna try to commit to it though

Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yep, was going to mention that too... but hey, if you're going to suffer from an addiction, exercise sure beats crack, alcohol/cigarettes, opioids, etc.!

Moderation is always the key of course. Hell, too much water can kill you.
Exactly this. Everything else is an excuse. The REASON for major exercising is an addiction to that brain chemical release.

The beautiful, strong, healthy body is just an awesome side effect.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 11-09-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What motivated me to want to lose 20 pounds? My cardiologist. I have two valves in mild heart disease. I've already lost 5 pounds and I like the way my clothes are fitting. Now I just eat to live.
good for you pal.... I had given up on healthy eating and exercise in the past ten years. got lazy and because I didnt go out much I didnt dress up as much and didnt notice the pounds creeping on... but when I hit 70 last year I thought.. Im letting it all go and thats not right.. I dont feel good about myself and clothes dont look nice anymore.. I took the pledge back in April and since then people have noticed the difference although I dont call it a diet.. I just eat healthier and smaller amounts, in fact Ive never ate so much fruit in ma life as I do now... not sure how much Ive lost as I dont know what weight I had got to ....but over a stone anyway.. and its better to do it slowly as you get older , crash diets dont look good on older people and just dont work either... Im feeling full with the fruit and natural low fat yogurts....with a little honey. chicken breast, fish with no batter or breadcrumbs. no fries.. no cakes, sweets or biscuits.. when I get a sweet craving I have a mug of low fat hot chocolate and it does the trick for me... feeling in control is a great feeling.... I stopped drinking alcohol a year and a half ago but was eating sweets to compensate and thought this isnt right.... and thought Id sort it and did.... no more silly snacks with my tea.... I have chocolate biscuits, crisps and goodies for the grandkids and never touch them... so Im winning... good luck to you friend and for any others cutting down and training....

Old 11-09-2017, 02:34 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Whenever I see someone starting to workout aggressively when they previously had not I call that the "somebody new is going to see me naked body!"

Married 15+ years, working out, new job (if previously not working) all points to self sufficiency and somebody new!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
I've had a bit of an existential exercise crisis lately. I am 27, married, like to ride my bike, do TRX once a week, and lift weights often, and am generally very active.

I have always been in good shape, but I'd like to step it up a bit. I'd love to become a better cyclist and maybe even try a duathlon.

But I've discovered the most important thing to start that process it to be able to answer, "Why are you doing all of this?"

I can't answer that.

I'm not overweight, I'm not trying to find a wife, and I and my family have a healthy history.

I think my reasons for working out are to feel confident, have something to focus on, and destress. But after a while, I just feel vain. I'd love to be in excellent shape, but I don't know the reasons for going through all of the work.

Have any of you ever felt this way?

I know people that wake up at the crack of dawn to work out and are in excellent shape. I just don't know what their motivation is if they're not training for something specifically or competing in a sport.

I really think signing up for an event is one thing that will get me out of the rut. It will give me something to focus on and won't give me an easy out when my head tells me that I'm healthy enough.
Why do you need a reason? If you feel like it, do it. It's enjoyable. It's healthy and you will live longer. That's a good reason right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness