Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Because you enjoy doing it. The day it stops being fun is the day I quit. Of course, the many health benefits. It would take several pages to list all the conditions caused or aggravated by inactivity. And you become strong enough to lift things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I am a slug. And I know it. I am also lazy and I know that too.

The exercise hasn't been invented yet that I enjoy. And dopamine is there for the other guy. I ran myself into the dirt trying to find that high and for me, it doesn't exist.

So why do I run? Men. I love men. And I like to eat real food not spoiled milk, rabbit food, and soy bean curds. And remember I am lazy. I run because that gets it over with faster than walking. I have a rowing machine too. Because it does legs and arms at the same time, therefore it's faster! Do I enjoy one minute of it? OH HELL NO!

But it's easier now. I am an old bag and the bar just keeps getting lower and lower. All I need to do these days is not look all used up. As long as I am the only one in the room not sporting the grandmagaveup look, I am doing great!

Did you notice I am also extremely honest?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times
I love the places my body has taken me when I am in good shape. I love being able to paddle a canoe miles and miles through the BWCA and travel this way a whole week and enjoy breathtaking wilderness and go somewhere a vehicle cant. Relying only on my body, my legs and a canoe to get me around. I love how my legs can pump my mountain bike across wild forest trails, or over the Bong bridge between Duluth and Superior overlooking a Lake Superior harbor. I once encountered a moose face to face on my mountain bike far back in the woods in the Superior National Forest. Thankfully she was a shy one.

I stay in shape because I love to dance (ballet, modern, anything really). It is such a beautiful and satisfying form of self expression and artistry. It also involves stamina, balance, strength, flexibility...cross training makes a big difference in what I can do and how I can move.

I love how exercise makes my body look, though I will never fully love and be at peace with my body and self. I am forever a work in progress. But exercise gives me tone, gives me energy, keeps my thyroid disorder in check, gets my endorphins going and lifts my mood and spirit. Exercise is an incredible release of pent up emotion. It is a healthier way to get out some anger and let go of tension.

Exercise allows me to eat a little more, though what I eat affects how well I perform exercise.

I just like to move. I hate how my body feels after sitting all day. I love the feeling of being limber and loose. I love the sweat and healthy fatigue after a good intense workout, the feeling of accomplishment.

Of course, sometimes in my life, my motivation to exercise was or is self control, burning calories, keeping my body thin, or even punishment for excess in other areas.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This is really an interesting thread. Thanks everyone. I exercise because it blows the cobwebs out of my brain. Moving my body really clears my mind.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
What motivates someone to get into great shape?
Full-length mirrors.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
In "great" shape? Well, In my experience, it would be sport related. Most people I know would get "in/good shape" for the opposite sex (vanity) and or for their health.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:59 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I exercise in general for my health (multiple autoimmune problems), but as I saw the changes to my body vanity is pushing me to go when I don't want to and push harder while I'm there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Exercise also produces dopamine which can act as a substitute crutch for drugs or alcohol in staving off or dealing with depression. Apparently dopamine cna also be addictive and you cannot do without it after a while.
Very true.....the "high" after workouts is addictive.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
I've had a bit of an existential exercise crisis lately. I am 27, married, like to ride my bike, do TRX once a week, and lift weights often, and am generally very active.

I have always been in good shape, but I'd like to step it up a bit. I'd love to become a better cyclist and maybe even try a duathlon.

But I've discovered the most important thing to start that process it to be able to answer, "Why are you doing all of this?"

I can't answer that.

I'm not overweight, I'm not trying to find a wife, and I and my family have a healthy history.

I think my reasons for working out are to feel confident, have something to focus on, and destress. But after a while, I just feel vain. I'd love to be in excellent shape, but I don't know the reasons for going through all of the work.

Have any of you ever felt this way?

I know people that wake up at the crack of dawn to work out and are in excellent shape. I just don't know what their motivation is if they're not training for something specifically or competing in a sport.

I really think signing up for an event is one thing that will get me out of the rut. It will give me something to focus on and won't give me an easy out when my head tells me that I'm healthy enough.

Mine is the look of it. I like to look fit and I like the health benefits that come with. I would be lying to you though if I did not tell you that I do it to attract a potential mate.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:41 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
For me I feel better in every way when I'm in shape. Plus I love cycling, running, hiking, etc. It's a great feeling going for a ride. So it's never really a question for me. I enjoy exercising and the pay-off is a better everything - physical/mental place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness