Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:34 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

I 5th, 6th & 7th everyone else's suggestions on yoga. Yoga / stretching help me... I sit all day, too. I literally roll out of bed onto a yoga mat & begin stretching in the am. The more consistently I do it, the longer lasting the results.

Also, I love YTube vids by physical therapists who are also personal trainers for stabilization exercises (I sometimes get a touch of sciatica or hip pain if I'm not consistent with exercising). There are many, so you can find someone you're comfortable with. I do like this guy's exercises. His personality is a bit much at times, but he provides me with free, useful info, so I can't complain.

Good luck!

Don't let the pics scare you away... he doesn't just do bodybuilding or weights. If you search thru his channel, he has many rehab & stabilization exercises... back, shoulder, etc. I have a new shoulder blade pull & the exercises on that vid are helping me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 02:45 PM

146 posts, read 100,780 times
Hmmm. What would Brett Favre do?

Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
30-Minute Sequence to Ease Back Pain....30 minutes of yoga poses to help ease tension in your back and find better posture.

https://www.yogajournal.com/practice...ease-back-pain

Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemma View Post
I'm a typical office worker and I've became really tired of that constant pain in my back and legs after the working days. You know what the problem is, long sitting is the main reason for this and I can't move more because of my work. On the other hand often feeling of that pain isn't pleasant at all, besides I'm afraid of getting scoliosis because keeping the right posture during all the time is rather hard too. What do you guys do in these case? Are there any effective solutions?
Get checked by a doctor first and get x-rays. I had terrible back pain some days. Well, I had my hip replaced and guess what? All the back pain is GONE! It wasn't my spine, it was the worn out hip making me "Think" it was the back.....

Old 11-16-2017, 06:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You need to work on fixing your posture at the office desk and also your sleeping posture first before embarking on a fitness regimen.

If you don't fix the root cause you'll keep having the same issues.

All about ergonomics.
The OP may just need to move around more. I had a really bad desk before- horrible chair, non-ergonomic setup, but at that office we were allowed to take health walks daily. I would take one for 20 minutes (about a 1.2 mile walk) most days of the week. Now my office doesn’t really have that option, although we have the sit/stand desks (I would prefer a kneeling stool) and I get a lot more back pain. For me, it’s more in the neck and shoulders though since I tend to hunch forward, so I just try to work on building back body strength through core exercises. I have another friend who switched from our old employer to this new employer and he is having the same issues... the other job we had was just a whole lot more active. I try to do yoga at least once a week and ideally twice per week on top of other exercises.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think the yoga plus core exercises are most effective. Cat/cow, Superman and cobra poses are really helpful for back pain. In addition to strengtging your core. But those inverse movements are ones we don’t do often and help balance things. Nothing like a mini series of cat/cow before bed to loosen things up! You can do it before you get tucked in.
Yes - just before bed and then in the morning too! If you go the yoga route, as Jade says, don't skip the counterposes. You don't have to hold them forever or do 20 reps but don't rush too much.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 AM

253 posts, read 228,958 times
Another vote for yoga! I'm also an office worker so I have the same issues and doing a few basic poses every other day has made an enormous difference in my over quality of life. There's been some great resources shared already, but you should also check out beYogi's free yoga pose library: https://beyogi.com/learn-yoga/poses/

They allow you to filter the poses by beginner, intermediate and advanced as well as what area you're trying to focus on, so you can easily find poses that will help your back that shouldn't be too challenging.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW127 View Post
Another vote for yoga! I'm also an office worker so I have the same issues and doing a few basic poses every other day has made an enormous difference in my over quality of life. There's been some great resources shared already, but you should also check out beYogi's free yoga pose library: https://beyogi.com/learn-yoga/poses/

They allow you to filter the poses by beginner, intermediate and advanced as well as what area you're trying to focus on, so you can easily find poses that will help your back that shouldn't be too challenging.
Good site.

I have a large box of yoga cards, where you can do the same... filter exercises based on what needs stretching out. I like visuals... much easier for those like me who find it hard to focus on 1 thing at a time.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Good site.

I have a large box of yoga cards, where you can do the same... filter exercises based on what needs stretching out. I like visuals... much easier for those like me who find it hard to focus on 1 thing at a time.
I love the yoga cards! I have them too! I'd recommend doing a couple of yoga classes with a good hands-on instructor, then using the cards. The instructors cues will help you understand what you should look for in good form and it makes using the cards easier.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love the yoga cards! I have them too! I'd recommend doing a couple of yoga classes with a good hands-on instructor, then using the cards. The instructors cues will help you understand what you should look for in good form and it makes using the cards easier.
Good advice, Jade & there are also gentle yoga classes on YTube, even ones that cater to scoliosis (which I have, so I also own a yoga DVD for scoliosis) or pregnancy, beginners or seniors. I have a weirdo schedule & sometimes am up at 3am, so for those like me, it's good there are online vids to do wee hour workouts.

I'm going to see if there's a vid with an instructor using the cards. I'm sure there is... everything else is online!

ETA: Don't forget the library. I'm impressed that my small library here in W. Boca Raton has an entire section of exercise DVDs! Must be at least 500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness