Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
After a certain age Crossfit looks like it is a recipe for hurting one's self. I was never attracted to, but I have a friend who loves it. So far she has had no injuries, but when she tells me what they do I have to think hurting herself is on the horizon.
I used to go to they gym and burn it out every single time. Cardio, HIIT, Tabata, circuit training, super sets, and just in general making sure I pushed myself further than the previous workout. That type of workout just doesn't work for me anymore. Its a hard transition to go from that to a workout that is kinder and gentler on my aging body. I have zero desire to injure myself at this stage in life.
I'm right there with you. At 56 I take lots of precautions to not injure joints, but I'm finding new ways to challenge myself that are as fun as the things I used to do. I'll be fine if I never do another burpee and I feel like I'm still in good shape.

OP, how old are you? When is the last time you engaged in regular exercise? Do you have back or other joint issues? If it's been a while since you exercised, I would NOT start out with Crossfit. I'd get a trainer for a month or two, get familiar with a gym, and learn proper form. When you start to feel comfortable doing that, then think about Crossfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to Crossfit, the average man competing at their regionals runs about 5-foot-10 and 190 lb., and the average woman about 5-foot-5 and 140 lb. See https://games.crossfit.com/article/e...gional-athlete
Those averages are both pretty decent sized people. At 5’ 10”, 190lbs, a person is over 27 BMI. Now I get that they are in shape so it isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but that’s not a trim, fitness physique.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Those averages are both pretty decent sized people. At 5’ 10”, 190lbs, a person is over 27 BMI. Now I get that they are in shape so it isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but that’s not a trim, fitness physique.
BMI is useless as an individual measure; it is a measure for populations.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
I was responding to the poster who referred to them as muscle bound and bulking up.

I'm 6'4" and 225. I don't see any Crossfitters my size, so they seem small.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I really don't care for the exercises, not a fan of lots of reps either.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
The best crossfit athletes I've ever met are great athletes who happen to now do crossfit. They were great athletes prior to starting crossfit. They also had a deeper understanding of some of the techniques and bodies that generally speaking recovered quickly. This helps them avoid injury. Unfortunately it also gives the more average and below average person a goal to work toward, but without the understanding that these people were already athletes before ever joining the local cult chapter. Or box as it is called. And of course injuries follow.

Now those are two extremes. In between are a bunch of average joes just like you'd find in any other fitness center or gym in the country. The difference is unlike other average joes these average joes seem to think they're elite athletes. I've never seen a fitness community with such an utter lack of respect for anything that isn't what they're doing. Which can be amusing because the only crossfit athletes this average joe can't run circles around are the ones who were already top flight athletes mentioned above.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:49 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Which can be amusing because the only crossfit athletes this average joe can't run circles around are the ones who were already top flight athletes mentioned above.

I run a local 5k annually. I'm a fairly consistent runner, but I don't train year round. My cardio throughout the fall and winter is mostly walking.

Point is, the local crossfit "boxes" all run in this 5k. They clearly aren't strong runners. I had to weave in and out of a few of the groups last year because they bunch together so much.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What do they attribute this injury to? Is it from a certain event? I never understood how someone get this injury.
I'm not really sure. As expected, the cultists went into full damage control mode to blame everything except their exercise program. For an example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvdaSun View Post
As for all those torn pecs at regionals, those guys are competing for a spot at the games. They are trying to lift more than they should in order to move up in the rankings, make it to the games and win that 250k. Apparently, they weren't ready for that and should've known better.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
I run a local 5k annually. I'm a fairly consistent runner, but I don't train year round. My cardio throughout the fall and winter is mostly walking.

Point is, the local crossfit "boxes" all run in this 5k. They clearly aren't strong runners. I had to weave in and out of a few of the groups last year because they bunch together so much.
When I say “run circles” I meant it in a more general sense of all around strength and athleticism, but that definitely applies to actual running too!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 04-18-2018 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I hear so many conflicting things about Crossfit.

The truth of the matter is that I am OLD and not in the best shape. But a friend wants to do this and offered to pay my way if I go with. I'm a little reluctant.

Would someone who has been there tell me what it is really, truly like?

THanks
Here's the deal. I have been involved in and training Crossfit now for 12 years (at least). I've trained at 5 different Crossfit gyms over the years, and currently train out of two different ones. I've seen people from age 10 to age 70 doing crossfit. Also, I've seen people from all walks of life, all weights, all fitness levels, professional athletes and those who have never ever done anything physical in their lives. I have NEVER seen or heard of anyone getting seriously injured from regular crossfit training. The "elite" athletes who compete at the games are totally different and train to compete on the HIGHEST level than most regular CF gym goers, hence the injuries you hear about (which are really so very few and far between). I can honestly say that from not only my own experience, but also from seeing with my own eyes the experience and results achieved by others, that Crossfit is one of the most amazing and rewarding and goal achieving exercise programs ever. All the workouts can be and/or are scaled to the individual and there is just so much motivation that really keeps you going.

Dont listen to people who say "It looks too hard" or "I've tried it for a couple of weeks..." or "I've heard stories about.....". Do it for yourself and be your own judge. But, I can tell you, that its pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to achieving your fitness/weight/athletic goals. Do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness