Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM

13,656 posts, read 10,054,135 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM

765 posts, read 474,962 times
moderation in ALL things works better than either/or.

even doctors are shocked and finally realizing that even they had no idea what nutrition means for a healthy body. it's a whole new emphasis on food being EXACTLY like a drug having effect on your body..... our bodies are dependent on a delicate dance of hormones, chemical reactions.... and food causes those chemical reactions within each cell of our body.... Nutrition is the new burgeoning field of healthy living. Most people do not take the time to research what the cutting edge ideas in medicine are. We are in charge of our health and keeping our bodies away from DIS-------------EASE. i firmly believe that our bodies go into dis----ease because we have ignored many symptoms, just plain old ignored basic facts about basic health practices. we have to be more pro-active, put our big girl/boy panties on and be accountable to ourselves.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:08 PM

2,035 posts, read 1,323,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Now sure how much muscles you can build by only running 30 mins per day. This is what #1 states. If it was weight training + running for an average of 30 mins a day, I would agree with you.

Oh, you know what? I think I misread the OP.
The OP said "exercising everyday for about 30 mins running", and I took that to mean "exercise for 30 continuous minutes" as opposed to three 10 minute sessions during the day or some such.

You're right, doing only running for 30 minutes is not going to build muscle.

I would still prefer to do that (run 30 minutes a day with junk food in my diet) than doing nothing with a good diet. If nothing else, I'd be able to run for 30 minutes unlike the non-exerciser, heh.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:20 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,399,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
1. Eating relatively badly i.e. having junk food but not excessively say a can of coke a day and exercising everyday for about 30 mins running

OR

2. Doing no exercise everyday at all - only minimal walking but eating a very healthy diet (say within recommended levels of the food intake pyramid)?

Friend says 2 is much better off than 1 because people underestimate how much they really need to exercise to burn off the fat/junk?
I vote for 1. 30 minutes running/aerobic will help burn calories but we need healthy food to provide the proper fuel for it. A bag of chips with a can every day is not enough to hurt you.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:38 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,931,934 times
Door #1. People all over the world thrive on all kinds of diets, but with no exercise you will be weak and slow.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:37 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,580,286 times
Quote:
1. Eating relatively badly i.e. having junk food but not excessively say a can of coke a day and exercising everyday for about 30 mins running

OR

2. Doing no exercise everyday at all - only minimal walking but eating a very healthy diet (say within recommended levels of the food intake pyramid)?

Friend says 2 is much better off than 1 because people underestimate how much they really need to exercise to burn off the fat/junk?
1. BY far. I exercised a lot, ate normally and was fat. Cue, 2016, started counting calories with minor changes (no deserts or fast food) and dropped 60 lbs.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The thing is though exercise goes beyond just weight management. You have to keep "the car" (your body) maintained. You can give it good gas but to be at peak performance it needs to be driven. Especially as we age. I don't know how old you are, but as a 40+ year old, I just can't afford to be inactive. Diet only proves very frustrating because it doesn't take much to gain, especially as we age. You have to eat increasingly less as you get older and in the long term that will suck. I never had to eat 1200 calories and now that would be insane - i'd pass out on the treadmill. Before the workout, I had only consumed 220 calories and I was VERY sluggish and it was a struggle to just do a mile. Eating right and working out is the best combo because as you said, you have more forgiveness for dieting sins. But of course, many people take things to the other level and think that they can work off days of eating cheeseburgers, fries, and sodas...no.

I definitely see the importance of exercise. I am totally not into exercising at this time, but I do force myself to work-out a couple of times a week to maintain a decent level of fitness.

Ideally, I would like to exercise 1/2 an hour a day, 5 days a week.....it would help me eat more carbs, while at the same time keeping my blood-sugar in-check. I really have to watch myself, I can get carried-away with the exercise.......thusly opening a gateway to letting my diet fall by the wayside.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:57 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,840 times
I think it depends on what "eating normally" in regards to option 1 actually means. Some people's normal is abysmal. Some people's normal is 80% good with some junk.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:09 AM

102,239 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:

OR

The first scenario is worse. That person is bombarding his system with unhealthy food, including, presumably sweets, which really primes the body for disease later in life. Diabetes, anyone? While the one who isn't active except a bit of walking at least is eating nutritious, balanced meals.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
#1 is better than #2 if and only if #1 maintains a good body weight. Getting fat is bad for you in many ways.

Assume that #1 maintains a good body weight.
When #2 gets to be a senior citizen, their bones will be far less dense, and a fall will be a much more serious injury for them than for #1. Also, #1 will be less likely to have a fall.
#2's weak muscles will not support their spine as well, so they'll be more likely to have disk problems later in life.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/...d-longer-life/

And lastly, having a body with decent muscles is way more fun right now and everyday.
Your assertions are fallacical. You don't need to work out hard to avoid having bone density issue. It's not a question anymore that moderate, low impact exercise (such as walking) is the key to a long and healthy life.

I couldn't open the article you posted, but the fact that they tout "more muscles" as a beneficial thing tells me how in depth their science is. No one has "more muscles" than any other person barring injury. We all have the same number of muscles. Their shape and size is what varies, and only the latter can be influenced by exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness