Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
1. These remarks above are not my concern but more about how our environment to our food chain and it's in-pack on our health, our planet sick, we are displaying it's symptoms and outcome!

2. Yes I'm sure they do! And I'm sure they realize it's not healthy because they feel the effects it has on them personally in their day to day ! The fact more people will require medications etc due to obesity is a clear sign something not right!

3. There nothing wrong with consuming food, in fact real organic foods won't make you fat! But what we have today is not even close to real or healthy and why your hunger! ....The food chain is deadly & sick!

We can't ignore adults/children today are much less healthy than previous generation!
"Impact", OP. And yes, the issue is global. Too much junk food, too many sweets and sweet carbonated drinks and juices, but perhaps also--too many starches. Even people who don't 4eat junk food, the diet can be full of starches, because they're cheap and filling, and they're also traditional in many cuisines (potatoes, pasta).

In some countries, obesity seems to be a disease of affluence (China, perhaps India). In others, it tends more to be a disease of poverty (U.S), though it's not exclusive to poverty in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
1. These remarks above are not my concern but more about how our environment to our food chain and it's in-pack on our health, our planet sick, we are displaying it's symptoms and outcome! !

"In pack"? What is that?

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
For the vast majority of people being obese is a choice. I see it everyday at work, people gobbling down junk all day. To top it off, they don't bother to exercise. If you don't have the basic common sense to eat right it's your own fault.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
For the vast majority of people being obese is a choice. I see it everyday at work, people gobbling down junk all day. To top it off, they don't bother to exercise. If you don't have the basic common sense to eat right it's your own fault.
I agree, but "society" pays for the consequences of these poor choices.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's okay to make a vague, general statement about the health crisis that is obesity.

It's not okay to suggest that any individual person should lose weight for the sake of their health, because that is "fat-shaming."

It's a hopeless cause, I'm afraid.
Right, it's not ok to suggest to someone who hasn't solicited your advice to lose weight "for the sake of their health". They are fully aware of what obesity does to them healthwise. Losing weight is a personal decision, to be made by that person alone. When i was obese, I would have told you to step off if you made any "suggestions" about weight loss.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Listen, stop the blame game. I gained weight not due to the manipulation by the food industry or any other external force. I gained weight because I ate too much, moved too little, and largely didn't give an eff.

I liked food very much and i still do. We can debate about whether that's "normal" all day. At the end of the day though, I regained my self control over food, made healthier choices, and got my butt off the couch.

My personal weight loss has taught me lots of things:

I do have the power to say no to overeating day in and day out.
I do have the power to not frequent places that encourage overeating.
I do have the power to exercise.
I do have the power to eat healthier and enjoy "bad" things on occasion.
I do have the power to do other things besides eating.
Etc etc.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The consequences are all too real for me and my wife. A relative of ours has been in a hospital bed since February suffering from horrible diabetes-induced foot wounds that will not heal. They are morbidly obese and also have congestive heart failure and chronic kidney disease. We have been trying to help them sort out the wreckage of their former life which involved a squalid hoarder-house with no functioning plumbing, a non-running auto with flat tires, and over $40K of unpaid personal bills. Their hospital bills (covered by insurance thank God) are over $300K.

Have they learned anything? Hell no, they are ordering pizzas and burgers online and having the junk delivered directly to their room at the rehab facility!

Think about the consequences for our society and culture if this kind of behavior and outcome is the norm.

Witness this first hand with my own dad and his own battle with diabetes that lead to 4-way by pass to an enlarge heart, pacemaker along with a defibrillator, kidney problems to lungs filling with fluid and infections (ulcers) on his legs that would not heal, etc, etc! In and out the hospitals for years on end right up until he passed 6 months ago at age 81. My dad didn't mange his condition well or diet, he paid the price and it was a slow painful death of 10 years. The only bright-side to this story is my dad had great medical insurance that covered 100% due his job he retired from of 37 years , otherwise my folks would have lost everything! My dad was on 9 different meds , the insulin was 3,000.00 a month and the heart meds three he took were expensive 900.00 the other two 1,000.00 and kidney 600.00 etc, etc. Hospital stay where in the hundreds of thousand range - since he end up there for weeks to months on end to then be moved to Rehabilitation care that be another month or so then back home then it start all over again. This took a toll on us all emotionally !

Last edited by WildCard~; 05-24-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Too much junk food, too many sweets and sweet carbonated drinks and juices, but perhaps also--too many starches. Even people who don't 4eat junk food, the diet can be full of starches, because they're cheap and filling, and they're also traditional in many cuisines (potatoes, pasta). .
It has been noted previously on CD that My Plate, which the USDA offers as a suggestion for meal planning, cannot recommend a diet that the poorest cannot afford to eat. Thus, one-quarter of the plate is going to be starches - bread, potatoes, pasta, cereals, etc. It is unfortunate that the poorer groups also tend not to be well-educated, and don't know any better. It is equally sad that many of the better-educated and better-heeled, choose to ignore the facts.

I come from a family where many are overweight, some are obese, and virtually all become diabetic at some point. Two family members had gone blind from it. This is serious stuff. It's not like ol' Wilford Brimley cursed us with the dia-BEETUS!

I am 70 years old, almost 71. I am not obese or even overweight. I am not diabetic. I take it very seriously. I have studied the effects of insulin, and have had my doctor explain all the particulars to me. Bottom line, I don't eat starches, except moderately on holidays. I love my cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie, and ice cream like anybody else. But I don't eat like that every day. I don't sit around watching TV. I can tell you that this dietary and way of life works.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
[/b]

"In pack"? What is that?
Here a good read~ Eating The Planet | how our food choices effect the environment:

Eating The Planet | how our food choices effect the environment - ArvaMethod - Chicago Fitness & Health

Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Impact", OP. And yes, the issue is global. Too much junk food, too many sweets and sweet carbonated drinks and juices, but perhaps also--too many starches. Even people who don't 4eat junk food, the diet can be full of starches, because they're cheap and filling, and they're also traditional in many cuisines (potatoes, pasta).

In some countries, obesity seems to be a disease of affluence (China, perhaps India). In others, it tends more to be a disease of poverty (U.S), though it's not exclusive to poverty in the US.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness