Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

TwiloMike - thank you. I will try what you suggested.

It stinks to get older, gravity is not my friend right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Cycling is great for the legs. If you'd rather do it at home, buy a stationary recumbent bike. They have varying degrees of tensions you can set depending on the level of fitness you're trying to achieve. Takes just 45 minutes to an hour 4 times per week to slim those thighs. The recumbent also has the benefit of being easy on your lower back, and easy on your knees.

Since I am a martial artist, I also recommend the martial arts like tae kwon do because you use your legs a great deal. Dancers, gymnasts, martial artists have very muscular legs. I always had muscular legs, but once I started practicing tae kwon do, they got even more muscular. It includes stretching, running, holding your legs out for long periods of time, really using your legs repeatedly. Tae Kwon do is great for the legs and your overall body development in terms of slimming down, building lean body mass, and burning fat. Tai chi and yoga do the same with less impact.

One of the hardest exercises that most people avoid, are wind sprints. If you can do them, they do wonders for shaping the thighs, really giving them that superhero shape and definition. If also benefits the rest of your body as well, your back, arms, chest, waist, and face. You have to run all out (no holding back) for about 40 yards at a time, with 5-10 second rest between sprints. Do just 5 of these 3 times per week to see results.

The only other tip I can give you is to flex and hold your muscles. Body builders do this all the time. Flex and hold that flex for for about 5 secs at a time. Do this everyday anywhere anytime. It is a form of isometric exercise that over time has the ability to define as well.

Hope this helps. These have worked for me.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Funny and you're right! That would help to lose weight but does that tighten things up?
oh absolutely!!! the weight has to come off first, and then what's left gets tightened up~

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
What are "Good Mornings"?
Quote:
Same question...
Barbell Good-morning

The Good Morning exercise, back exercise

Quote:
TwiloMike - thank you. I will try what you suggested.

It stinks to get older, gravity is not my friend right now.
I hear ya, but you can certainly fight back. I normally recommend free weight compound movements. These should be tried with modest weight at first because form is so critical. Ask any questions you have- I'll gladly answer if I can or refer you to someone more knowledgeable.

Have you looked at my friend MariAnne's blog? I posted about it in another thread.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
"Good Mornings"

This exercise helps strengthen and shape the muscles of the upper hamstrings, the lower back and the gluts.
How to do:[SIZE=2]1. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Stand upright with a barbell on your shoulders. Your feet
should be shoulder width apart and your hands wider to grip
the balance the weight.

2. Your knees can be slightly bent and your back should be
arched slightly.

3. Inhale, hold your breath and bend forward at the hips.

4. When your upper body is horizontal, reverse your direction
and exhale at the top of the movement.

5. When you are at advanced stage in doing this exercise you
may perform it straight legged.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Good mornings are fabulous. Truly fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness