Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. I lift weights and I run a mile or two each time. I do dumbells, dead weight exercises like dips, and core exercises - back extensions. On the days I am not at the gym I ride my mountain bike or walk or swim. Fitness and sports have been part of my life since I was young.

I put my phone down when I first enter the gym (a very nice gym) and leave it with my keys to focus on my exercise until I finish my workout. The gym has signs saying no cell phone use for consideration of others. People walk all over with cell phones while exercising. Always looking at the cell phone while exercising. Some of it is even humorous to me, one guy always walks around no matter where he is looking at his cell phone and wearing earphones as well, so he cannot hear anything in the gym. It's a wonder he remembers what he did that day.

To me exercise is part mental. We have to focus and concentrate on what we are doing when exercise. This is an important part of training and even exercising to stay in shape.

What do you all think of this that exercise regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
maybe they're listening to music (spotify, google play, etc.)? I do this in between sets because I'm looking for different content and music motivates me. Or maybe checking/responding to email? Not all of us can break away outside of work hours and need to stay on top of work happenings.

Now if they're discussing apple pie recipes with Aunt Sue, that's a little different.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

It is just one hour or so to focus, so I disagree with using cell phones while working out. It takes away from your mental focus, it is only one hour to give up your cell phone.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I listen to music when I exercise, but I have an iPod. I dont see anything wrong with people using their cell phones to listen to music.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I have not been to a gym that banned cell phones.

I use my cell phone at the gym to listen to music, in order to drown out the inconsiderates who like to slam their weights (either machine or free weights), "loooook at me." Also those who like to yap loudly more than they do exercising.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. I lift weights and I run a mile or two each time. I do dumbells, dead weight exercises like dips, and core exercises - back extensions. On the days I am not at the gym I ride my mountain bike or walk or swim. Fitness and sports have been part of my life since I was young.

I put my phone down when I first enter the gym (a very nice gym) and leave it with my keys to focus on my exercise until I finish my workout. The gym has signs saying no cell phone use for consideration of others. People walk all over with cell phones while exercising. Always looking at the cell phone while exercising. Some of it is even humorous to me, one guy always walks around no matter where he is looking at his cell phone and wearing earphones as well, so he cannot hear anything in the gym. It's a wonder he remembers what he did that day.

To me exercise is part mental. We have to focus and concentrate on what we are doing when exercise. This is an important part of training and even exercising to stay in shape.

I think you have no right to judge. Everyone has their own routine, who are you to say yours is right and theirs isn't? And what should that guy hear at the gym? Other people grunting? The crappy music they play there?

I sometimes have my phone with me and text in between reps. Sometimes I leave my phone in the car. Sometimes I have my phone to listen to music. I tend to not leave enought time in between reps if I just sit there, staring into nothing. Actually, if I listen to my music on the phone, this is the time I work out most effectively, because aggressive music gives me extra adrenaline to lift heavier.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

As someone who has only had an iphone for the past 9 months, I don't think I have made or answered a call more the 20 times. However, I do carry it with me when I am at the gym because It does have a bluetooth connection to my hearing aids. If the music is too loud at the gym I can reduce the volume on the hearing aids via an app on the phone. It can automatically raise the volume if I am having difficulty hearing someone over the background noise.

As far as mental focus, if an exercise such as seated row machine requires an extended period of boring time doing the same thing, I find Bluetooth connection to music on my iphone is very helpful. I listen to Alice's Restaurant Massacree and can make it thru 18 and 1/2 minutes on the seated row machine because my mind is focused on the story the song tells, not how much longer I need to row.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Ok , thanks for the perspectives. I still believe on focusing on my workout without a cell phone. I have used I pod to listen to music, and that's cool, I am talking about people having conversations on the phone at the gym and staring down and the phone all the time....

Old 07-13-2018, 09:26 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Cell phone use at gym while exercising!

Nothing wrong with using cell phone while at the gym. As long as the person isnt having a conversation with someone on the other line I have no problem with it.

Almost EVERYONE at the gym I go to (Equinox) has their phone with them. Mostly probably just listing to their workout playlist.

Almost NO ONE at the Crossfit gyms I go to uses their phones though. In fact, I dont think I have EVER seen anyone at the CF gyms using phone while working out.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Mine is with me in the gym. I use the stop watch for timing between sets, look at funny pics or something between sets, and will sometimes video myself lifting so I can critique my form.

Was never able to get comfortable lifting with earphones in. Running with them is fine, but lifting just not comfortable with, though music the gym plays is just fine.

There is a guy at my gym though that will talk on the phone the entire time, lol, I do not know how he does it, he is fit as hell though. Not loud talking either so it does not bother me, the treadmills are much louder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness