Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I believe swimming will lengthen muscles. I don't know from personal experience, but I remember hearing that tennis player Aranxta Sanchez Vicario had focused on that later in her career.
You believe swimming will lengthen muscles? What does that mean? I though muscle were attached to tendons that were attached to bones. If you lengthen them, where does the extra length go. How does this differ from stretching your muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Don't do weightlifting squats, or deadlifts. Do barbell hip thrusts to maintain tone in your butt and abdomen. Don't bicycle. Running will help.

You can find videos online of Kate Upton working out. She is very strong, and she does trap bar deadlifts. Her legs may be thicker than what you are thinking of though. I prefer her look to the famine survivor look.
Let me get this straight. You say don't do deadlifts and the you recommend a video of Kate Upton doing trap bar deadlifts. Please explain.

You say not to do squats, deadlifts or cycling. Have you ever seen women who have done squats seriously for any length of time. The effect on the buttocks and thighs is amazing. All exercise will help. cycling and running, if done enough will help burn calories to lose excess weight. Weightlifting exercises for the legs will firm everything from the butt down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 04:25 AM

890 posts, read 883,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You believe swimming will lengthen muscles? What does that mean? I though muscle were attached to tendons that were attached to bones. If you lengthen them, where does the extra length go. How does this differ from stretching your muscles?

Let me get this straight. You say don't do deadlifts and the you recommend a video of Kate Upton doing trap bar deadlifts. Please explain.

You say not to do squats, deadlifts or cycling. Have you ever seen women who have done squats seriously for any length of time. The effect on the buttocks and thighs is amazing. All exercise will help. cycling and running, if done enough will help burn calories to lose excess weight. Weightlifting exercises for the legs will firm everything from the butt down.
The OP wanted advice on how to thin her legs and butt. I gave her advice on how to do that.

On the other hand, I pointed out how a model could be very successful being thicker and doing trap bar deadlift. Upton does other exercises, such as sled pull. In other words, a woman can be strong and beautiful.

I do not prefer anorexic looking models, it is harmful to encourage women to look ultra thin. But lets be honest, there is nothing like squats, deadlifts, or bicycling to create "thunder thighs". People can be perfectly healthy without doing those specific exercises. Running is good. Alternatively, they can limit how hard they work those exercises, to prevent their legs getting thicker. Such as stopping their squat at 200 lbs, rather than working their way up to 300 lbs.

One very strong (and beautiful) woman: megsquats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj_...4NEpvQ5_A1wSvg

Old 10-19-2018, 11:10 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWorksOut View Post
Hey,

you know, I am sorry for not answering your question directly, but I really don't get what the problem is. Most women nowadays (finally, I am so glad!!!) strive to develop their glutes and thighs. I am pretty sure you are gorgeous.

If your body fat level is kinda high, then of course high protein, low fat and moderate carb diet combined by high rep weight training in compound exercises is a good way to lose fat and have a lean body.

If your legs are just muscular, then I think you simply should choose an other direction within modeling. Fitness modelling, etc. I mean, look at today's Instagram stars! Muscular women with nice curves and they are insanely hot! Maybe you could be one of them!

Why would you strive for changing what you are instead of building a career on your strengths?
Yes, those are my questions.

Years of playing soccer DOES develop the legs and glutes, you're working them all the time. That musculature is not going to go away anytime soon.

OP should go with her strengths, as you say. There are enough un-muscled people modeling.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The OP wanted advice on how to thin her legs and butt. I gave her advice on how to do that.

On the other hand, I pointed out how a model could be very successful being thicker and doing trap bar deadlift. Upton does other exercises, such as sled pull. In other words, a woman can be strong and beautiful.

I do not prefer anorexic looking models, it is harmful to encourage women to look ultra thin. But lets be honest, there is nothing like squats, deadlifts, or bicycling to create "thunder thighs". People can be perfectly healthy without doing those specific exercises. Running is good. Alternatively, they can limit how hard they work those exercises, to prevent their legs getting thicker. Such as stopping their squat at 200 lbs, rather than working their way up to 300 lbs.

One very strong (and beautiful) woman: megsquats

I disagree. Squats, deadlifts, and bicycling do not create "thunder thighs." The women you're referring to had large thighs before they started doing these exercises. My daughter squats and deadlifts more than most men and she has skinny thighs. Cycling is an aerobic exercise and will not provide much mucle growth.

You suggest a woman stop squatting at 200 lbs. but I'm curious how many women you have actually seen squat 300 lbs. or even 200 lbs.?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Squats, deadlifts, and bicycling do not create "thunder thighs." The women you're referring to had large thighs before they started doing these exercises. My daughter squats and deadlifts more than most men and she has skinny thighs. Cycling is an aerobic exercise and will not provide much mucle growth.

You suggest a woman stop squatting at 200 lbs. but I'm curious how many women you have actually seen squat 300 lbs. or even 200 lbs.?
Yes, we disagree.
If a woman wants to shrink her legs, she should reduce or eliminate the exercises I listed. Look at cyclists legs. Very high reps of thigh work.

I linked a video, megsquats, look at some of her videos where some women are squatting 300 lbs. There is a video where megsquats competes with two other women to see who can do the most deadlifts at 322 lbs. The winner did 22, and this was two days after she had competed in a powerlifting competition. The point was not the absolute values, the same principle would be 100 lbs and 200 lbs; the point was that if someone is happy with their leg size, don't keep increasing leg strength and size by working up to higher weights. If what you believe is true, bodybuilders would never go to higher weights to build mass. Their legs would stay nice and skinny no matter how much weight they lifted.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, we disagree.
If a woman wants to shrink her legs, she should reduce or eliminate the exercises I listed. Look at cyclists legs. Very high reps of thigh work.

I linked a video, megsquats, look at some of her videos where some women are squatting 300 lbs. There is a video where megsquats competes with two other women to see who can do the most deadlifts at 322 lbs. The winner did 22, and this was two days after she had competed in a powerlifting competition. The point was not the absolute values, the same principle would be 100 lbs and 200 lbs; the point was that if someone is happy with their leg size, don't keep increasing leg strength and size by working up to higher weights. If what you believe is true, bodybuilders would never go to higher weights to build mass. Their legs would stay nice and skinny no matter how much weight they lifted.
So you're going to compare a women who has been powerlifting for years with a woman who wants to model and has probably never lifted weights? That is not an apples to apples comparison. I did see her video where she squats 298.5 lbs. She is built to be a powerlifter. She has probably always had muscular, thick thighs.

What I am talking about is the effect any of these exercises will have on an untrained person. I am not discussing someone who is a competitive powerlifter. The difference is years of training and genetics.

I described my daughter who does Olympic lifts in training for Crossfit. She has the legs of a model. There is nothing thick about her. She is the around the same height as the OP, and probably a few pounds heavier, but with skinny legs. She has also run marathons and played college basketball.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:48 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
He/she should have picked different parents.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
So you're going to compare a women who has been powerlifting for years with a woman who wants to model and has probably never lifted weights? That is not an apples to apples comparison. I did see her video where she squats 298.5 lbs. She is built to be a powerlifter. She has probably always had muscular, thick thighs.

What I am talking about is the effect any of these exercises will have on an untrained person. I am not discussing someone who is a competitive powerlifter. The difference is years of training and genetics.

I described my daughter who does Olympic lifts in training for Crossfit. She has the legs of a model. There is nothing thick about her. She is the around the same height as the OP, and probably a few pounds heavier, but with skinny legs. She has also run marathons and played college basketball.
Should I try one more time?
Do you agree or not that working up to heavier weights adds muscle or not? (assuming diet and rest are in order)

You go off on strange tangents. If your daughter is happy with her legs, why change? Running marathons is catabolic, a great way to lose muscle mass. The OP wants to change.

If someone wants to reduce the diameter of his/her legs, that is doable. Same with her butt. OP admits she will have to lose muscle and fat, and that she has been active in sports, and done some weightlifting.

The very exercises that build muscle mass in the legs are the exercises that need to be removed, to lose muscle from the legs. Are you saying squats don't build muscle mass? Then why would anyone do them in the first place?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:

You cannot pick and chose where your body will lose weight. That is a fact. The OP may never get thin legs if she is not built that way. She can however get strong legs that look fit. Squats and lunges are pretty much the best way to achieve that, but any exercise that works the lower half will help.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Should I try one more time?
Do you agree or not that working up to heavier weights adds muscle or not? (assuming diet and rest are in order)

You go off on strange tangents. If your daughter is happy with her legs, why change? Running marathons is catabolic, a great way to lose muscle mass. The OP wants to change.

If someone wants to reduce the diameter of his/her legs, that is doable. Same with her butt. OP admits she will have to lose muscle and fat, and that she has been active in sports, and done some weightlifting.

The very exercises that build muscle mass in the legs are the exercises that need to be removed, to lose muscle from the legs. Are you saying squats don't build muscle mass? Then why would anyone do them in the first place?

I'll try one more time. Working up to heavier weights does not necessarily add size. Women who have naturally large thighs typically have not developed large thighs from weightlifting. They have large thighs because they are carrying fat in their thighs. Any type of exercise will help to burn that fat. Their thighs may in size if they build muscle while not losing fat. Most women do not build muscle easily. I do not recommend to the OP that she loses muscle to accomplish her goals. Losing muscle would be counterproductive.

Strange tangents? Read what you said. My daughter is not concerned with the shape of her legs. She is only interested in making them stronger for Crossfit competition. Her lifting is more like an Olympic weightlifter, rather than a powerlifter. She was a marathon runner but now focuses on Crossfit.

I never said squats don't build muscle mass. They build muscle in people who have the genetic ability to grow muscle. I have my basketball team do squats and deadlifts to get stronger, not necessarily to build muscle mass. Big thighs are not going to help them to be better basketball players.

I think your biggest mistake is assuming that everyone lifts weights for the same reasons and sees the same effect. Everyone is not a powerlifter or bodybuilder, because most people do not have the genetic characteristics that these people have. Swimmers, gymnasts, track & field athletes, and baseball players all lift weights. Most do squats. How many do you think do squats to make their thighs bigger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness