Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 12:49 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
Lucy & Ethel: Two women (at least in my case) get on the ellipticals to one side of me and start jabbering away. I hear everything for 30 minutes. Totally annoying.
Start participating in their conversation by asking questions as if you are a part of the group - and have fun with that - if they mention any names or the restaurants - ask for more details with the most outrageous comments:
“Is that the restaurant - give a wrong intersection…?, or owned by.. by George Soros/President Biden/Bush - you get the idea… or did you try their …? - provide totally outrageous review of the made up outrageous entree - like fried grasshoppers?”
And try to go on and on - interrupting and not letting them speak?

Bet they would avoid you like a plague next time - thinking that you are off the wall - unless they like your conversational style and humor? (and perhaps recording it for YT- you may get rich!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 05:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
When I went to a fitness center at a state park where I used to live, there was a young lady, very fit who made sure you knew about it. She always managed to do her sit ups or any exercises where she had a chance to bend over, in front of any men who were there. She might as well have had a neon sign pointing to her so called shorts saying "open for business".

Old 07-01-2022, 06:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
People who need to slam everything. Slam the bathroom stalls shut. Slam the locker door shut. Slam their stuff on the bench. Slam. Slam. SLAM!

Old 07-01-2022, 08:48 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
The girls at the front desk of any health club I’ve ever to.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:52 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't always listen to music. Sometimes I am so in my own head, I would not even hear anything if I had headphones on. It is like meditation. The gym is like church for me.

I can also go on road trips and drive in silence for hours.
There are plenty of benefits to periods of solitude, including knowing yourself better. I find it strange that some people just MUST be entertained or be occupied with something so they don't have to sit with themselves.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:53 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
People who need to slam everything. Slam the bathroom stalls shut. Slam the locker door shut. Slam their stuff on the bench. Slam. Slam. SLAM!
Yes. Some people seem to have a need to continually be noticed.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:59 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't always listen to music. Sometimes I am so in my own head, I would not even hear anything if I had headphones on. It is like meditation. The gym is like church for me.

I can also go on road trips and drive in silence for hours.
I do need music at the gym to keep me going but I totally agree about the driving. I used to drive from Denver to Miami with no music. It clears my head

Old 07-02-2022, 09:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
I only listen to music when doing cardio. The gym has some music, I also want to be attentive to my surroundings so I cna post here about it
Honestly, the ear plugs are a health hazard and I am at the gym at least 90 minutes a day. The jury is still out on the bluetooth waves going between our ears, so I used wired but even then, long-term it affects your hearing and wax build up. We work out to stay healthy, so no need to reverse that.

As far as new annoyances; two young girls that leave the whole isle of empty treadmills to come next to me and talk about their sex life (none!). It was entertaining but glad my wife didn't show up.

New guy that was constantly grunting with relatively light weights, thought maybe he is working his way up-cut him some slack. Go to the locker room and same guy is grunting doing anything, opening the door to the locker, putting backpack in, taking shoes off. Not sure what is wrong with people nowadays.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I do need music at the gym to keep me going but I totally agree about the driving. I used to drive from Denver to Miami with no music. It clears my head
My cardio is generally sans music and I go for long walks at lunch without anything but nature. But my headphones serve two very important purposes at the gym:

1) Music is motivating to me and I like to be focused in my own world while lifting.

2) It sends a CLEAR message that I don't want to be the next victim of some mindless chit-chat by Mr/Mrs Lonley Person.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I

New guy that was constantly grunting with relatively light weights, thought maybe he is working his way up-cut him some slack. Go to the locker room and same guy is grunting doing anything, opening the door to the locker, putting backpack in, taking shoes off. Not sure what is wrong with people nowadays.
That was part of the reason I dumped a guy last year. He was constantly grunting. I asked him what is wrong, he did not even realize he grunts. I told him to stop. Of course he did not. Grunt to get out of bed. Grunt to bend over, grunt to put on shoes, grunt to put on clothes, grunt to use stairs, grunt to open a cabinet, grunt to close the door. ENOUGH!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness