Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 12:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Most annoying? The person at the front counter who wants me to pay to use the gym! As if!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 12:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Anyone more engaged on their cell phone, yammering away, while the rest of us wait for him/her to get off the machine so the rest of us can get on with our workout and our day.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Annoyance o' the day.....

The cleaning lady at my gym. No matter what corner of the gym I'm in, she seems to be there with her mop, heavy with bleach and/or ammonia that is so overwhelming that I feel like passing out if I'm breathing heavy near it. She seems to be where I'm at no matter the day. Today I literally had to lift my feet as she was moping circles around me on the machine I was on.

*DISCLAIMER* - if you are a sanitation worker, this is not aimed at you. If you are, in fact, an actual mop, this is also not aimed at you. If you use a mop to clean your house, this is not aimed at you. So please don't take it personally.
Have a similar issue at my gym. I usually workout late. The cleaning people come in about an hour before closing time. The first place they start working is the fitness center where they start wiping down machines and benches that people are still using. I usually tell them not to clean the bench that I'm going to use for bench presses. There are plenty of other rooms where they could start cleaning.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:45 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Have a similar issue at my gym. I usually workout late. The cleaning people come in about an hour before closing time. The first place they start working is the fitness center where they start wiping down machines and benches that people are still using. I usually tell them not to clean the bench that I'm going to use for bench presses. There are plenty of other rooms where they could start cleaning.
Yeah, I'm not anti-cleaning by any means. I'm thankful they are there. But it could be handled better. You should not be moping up with very strong bleach literally at the feet of people who are working out. My Esporta also has a female lady (love her, btw....she goes from working at the gym to bagging groceries next door, what a work ethic) who cleans the men's locker room at the prime hour of around 7am, when the gym is at its busiest. I'm sure she's being told to do that. Just seems like there could be a better way - namely, clean it before the gym opens or even at a slower time. Early a.m. there are tons of guys who need to shower before heading to work. Because once she's in there, you cannot use it for upwards of an hour or more.

Once I REALLY had to go to the restroom and another female cleaning lady had the sign outside the door. I walked in anyway and got as far as the stall and she was cleaning the showers in the adjacent room and yelled 'EXCUSE ME! YOU CANNOT BE IN HERE!' I pretended not to hear her and went in anyway. Sorry, Mother Nature always wins, m'aam!

Old 11-17-2021, 06:58 AM

Annoyance o' the day....

"Punchie" - guy with a Fidel Castro hat grabs the cable machine right next to mine, even though there were 7 others wide open. Punchie proceeds to do nothing but punching movements with a handle - punching the sky, punching straight out, punching the ground in rapid fire movements like a crazy person. Not really annoying in and of itself but between these sets (?) he'd pace back and forth literally inches from me, like you see a caged lion do at a zoo. Back and forth back and forth, punch/punch/punch, back and forth back and forth, punch/punch/punch over and over again. I'm not sure if this was truly his workout of if he was possibly upset that I was using "his" machine that he likes to use. Regardless it was odd and annoying.

At least his hat was on forward though.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:17 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I don't go to the gym anymore as I have an exercise bike and some dumbbells that I use at home, but when I went to the gym, the following people annoyed me:

1. The old guys who would wander around naked in the locker room.

2. The people who would make loud grunting noises while working out.

3. People who would drop their weights on the ground or let the weights loudly crash into each other on the machines.

4. The overly sociable people in the hot tub. I just wanted to relax after exercising, not make friends.

5. The people who would offer tips while I was working out. If I wanted their advice, I would have asked.
Add to #1. They try to start conversations too. I'm in my 50s so I'm not young, but I don't get this old man naked in the locker room thing. I've been to countless gyms in various states and cities, it's a consistent theme. Weird!

Old 11-22-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
Add to #1. They try to start conversations too. I'm in my 50s so I'm not young, but I don't get this old man naked in the locker room thing. I've been to countless gyms in various states and cities, it's a consistent theme. Weird!
Very true. I've been various gyms regularly in now three different states, all in very different parts of the U.S. and that oddity is the one consistency.

I think there is some perversion going on there. I mean, these old guys must know their junk is hanging out for the world to see, even the most clueless people know that they are naked. I think many of them enjoy showing off and get some weird kink out of it. I can find no other logical explanation for it.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:27 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I don't go to the gym anymore as I have an exercise bike and some dumbbells that I use at home, but when I went to the gym, the following people annoyed me:

1. The old guys who would wander around naked in the locker room.

2. The people who would make loud grunting noises while working out.

3. People who would drop their weights on the ground or let the weights loudly crash into each other on the machines.

4. The overly sociable people in the hot tub. I just wanted to relax after exercising, not make friends.

5. The people who would offer tips while I was working out. If I wanted their advice, I would have asked.
Darn these people who talk to you, how dare they.

I wish there was a naked guy in my locker room

Old 11-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Darn these people who talk to you, how dare they.

I wish there was a naked guy in my locker room
These aren't Brad Pitt types, quite the opposite!

Old 11-22-2021, 01:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
These aren't Brad Pitt types, quite the opposite!
Well, then what's the problem? The belly probably hangs over this STUFF anyway. Maybe he thinks if he cannot see it, you can't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness