Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you enjoy going to the gym?
Love it 23 29.49%
I like it fine 17 21.79%
I'm neutral 13 16.67%
I don't care for it 13 16.67%
I despise the gym 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times

Advertisements

Neutral. Going to the gym is like brushing, flossing and caring for your teeth. To have healthy teeth, you have to care for them daily. Same with the gym. Some mornings I would rather eat broken glass, some mornings I am tired, some mornings I am not feeling up to par, and some mornings I am actually charged up, but going to the gym is part of the daily routine like anything else. You go in there and you get er done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
I work from home so it's one of the few reasons for me to get out of the house. That coupled with the endorphin rush makes me eager to go to the gym every chance I get.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Now that I have my own elliptical I don't plan on going at all. I don't like the 10 minute drive to gym in traffic for a 30-40 minute workout. Doesn't make much sense. GF goes for Pilates/Reformer and you can't get that at home.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I'm in the I despise it crowd. I'm a germophobe and all I see is dirty sweaty equipment. I'd much rather ride my bike into the wee hours of the morning, go roller skating, and better yet, ice skate. We are signing up for swing dance classes in April. Fun! I understand the need to work out and keep moving, but give me a project around the house instead.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I work from home so it's one of the few reasons for me to get out of the house. That coupled with the endorphin rush makes me eager to go to the gym every chance I get.
Ditto. The days I don't go I almost feel hungover.....headachey, tired/groggy and definitely grumpy.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm in the I despise it crowd. I'm a germophobe and all I see is dirty sweaty equipment. I'd much rather ride my bike into the wee hours of the morning, go roller skating, and better yet, ice skate. We are signing up for swing dance classes in April. Fun! I understand the need to work out and keep moving, but give me a project around the house instead.
I'm a germophobe too but I just remember never to touch my eyes/ears/face at all when in the gym. I also use those disinfectant wipes on all machines/benches I use but mostly to clean off my hands.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm a germophobe too but I just remember never to touch my eyes/ears/face at all when in the gym. I also use those disinfectant wipes on all machines/benches I use but mostly to clean off my hands.
Yeah, no reason to avoid a gym because of germs. Germs are everywhere in public, just use some common sense and wash/sanitize your hands before leaving and wipe down the equipment if that freaks you out (I don't bother). I've been going to many a gym for several decades and never caught anything, at least that I know of.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:41 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I don't mind going to the gym but I go for the long term effects, not because I particularly enjoy my time there. It's the easiest way to get an hour of exercise in daily. There are annoyances, paying a membership for machines that are not maintained, locker rooms that are not kept clean but, overall, I'm in and out in a little over an hour so, I deal with it. I am amazed by the folks who, regardless of what time of day you go, they are there; literally spending hours there every day. That blows my mind. I am also amazed by the number of people who don't make exercise a part of their daily routine. I cannot imagine going through life, out of shape.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 PM

171 posts, read 157,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I am amazed by the folks who, regardless of what time of day you go, they are there; literally spending hours there every day. That blows my mind.
It can become quite addictive if you do fun, simple exercises.
Personally I really like Bench Press, Barbell Row and Deadlift, those exercises are very straightforward and very effective.

One thing that I am always careful to do during Bench Press is to use a power rack.
I think that you are tempting fate a bit too much if you press a heavy barbell over your body that you can drop on yourself at any moment.
I actually just barely managed to finish 5x5 in Squats yesterday, and the moment when I felt that I almost got stuck on the way up was scary as hell, because I didn't do it in a power rack that time.
And bench press is potentially even more dangerous, so yeah, always a power rack for me.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Honestly, if I could play sports and work out all day, I'd be so happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness